guys save your money and just wipe a piece of lemon on the cymbal for a couple minutes and viola, all fingerprints and oxidization comes off no hassle (seriously). Logos stay intact as much as you do it. Make sure to wash with water and dry asap when you're done. thank me later.
You think lemon juice in a spray bottle would be do the trick the same as fresh lemon?

Re: What kind of cymbol polish do you prefer?

Yea well i have mostly Zild. and some paiste. However, i have 3 zild cymbols that are vintage (about 45 years old) and im thinking ill just leave them dirty,
my son just cleaned his zildjian cymbals with zildjian polish and it worked very well

I've never boughten cymbol polish and i was just wondering what's the best polish to get and if there's and specail technique to use when polishing it. Thanks.
You don't wanna have petina? it makes cymbals sound nice.

guys save your money and just wipe a piece of lemon on the cymbal for a couple minutes and viola, all fingerprints and oxidization comes off no hassle (seriously). Logos stay intact as much as you do it. Make sure to wash with water and dry asap when you're done. thank me later.
A lemon slice really does the trick in this video:

I'm actually interested in the opposite -- how to get a natural looking patina on a new cymbal.

Random aside - I used a Paiste cymbal cleaner on a Zildjian Trashformer and it took a small amount of the dirt off, but later I saw about this "use a lemon to clean and restore your cymbal". I wanted to try it and started on my Trashformer because its the least expensive cymbal I own. However the finish on a Trashformer is different, mine had a purple tint to it. As soon as I started applying the lemon it started making the Trashformer look like a shiny new tin pot, which it never ever had that colour, even when it was new. It looked ok but I liked the purple and was thinking maybe it would change the sound if the acid in the lemon was somehow taking a coating of finish from the cymbal. Does anyone know more about the Trashformer (I do know it is not B20 bronze, and not a cast cymbal)? I stopped cleaning about half way into the cymbal because if it was affecting sound I didn't want it to change too much. Picture attached. Do note though that the lemon actually worked decently on my A's. Restored them to that silvery tint on bronze that a new cymbal has a took a bit of the dirt and finger prints off. WIN_20211129_10_27_41_Pro.jpg

What do you recommend for cymbals that have green patina/haven't been cleaned in years? View attachment 111603
I recommend taking no action at all. Just let the patina proliferate. Some manufacturers are applying simulated patina to give cymbals an aged appearance. Your bronze has earned its colors naturally. Why strip it of its veteran attire?

Yes, I'm biased on this topic. I've adopted the resolution never to clean a cymbal again. May the ravages of time have their way.

I like patina on a veteran B20 bronze cymbal, but I really like the stunning way Paiste 2002s and Giant Beats clean up. Have to say I've only used the now unobtainable Paiste Cleaner in the past, though.

I like patina on a veteran B20 bronze cymbal, but I really like the stunning way Paiste 2002s and Giant Beats clean up. Have to say I've only used the now unobtainable Paiste Cleaner in the past, though.
I agree that brilliant finishes (Paiste 2002s, Zildjian A Customs, and so on) look much better when keenly polished. Their mirror-like surfaces are incompatible with a haggard theme, and they assume a smudged and shabby appearance when they aren't cleaned regularly. I'm applying my no-intervention mandate to traditional finishes only, which are all I intend to own from this point forward.

Does that green patina eventually turn dark? If not I think some cleaning will get rid of the green and leave a more natural coloration. Coloration? Discoloration? Whatever.

I saw a program where they were using crushed walnut shells for "sand blasting". Much easier on softer metals. Maybe give that a try and get back to us. I have also seen dry ice used.

What do you recommend for cymbals that have green patina/haven't been cleaned in years? View attachment 111603
Not an expert but that looks like it could be copper chloride, which tends to be patchy and crusty. This is the bad kind of patina also known as "bronze disease."

Formed by exposure to salt either in water or in the air. Common in coastal areas.

The good kind of patina is mainly copper carbonate or copper oxide which forms a uniform thin protective layer that actually inhibits corrosion. Copper chloride on the other hand promotes corrosion and leads to pitting.

If that's what it is and you want it gone, the first step would be to remove as much as you can with a plastic bristle brush and water. Then use a commercial product designed to chemically remove copper chloride. I've read that Bar Keeper's Friend can work but not sure about that.

I just clean the cymbal around the logo to prevent it from being removed.
I've never liked the heavy patina look on any cymbal, let alone those totally unlathed ones. I think part of it is that, having grown up in a developing (literally) country, I'm just too used to new things being better than old ('vintage') ones. I also fear that the patina will chew up drumsticks faster than smooth bronze.

I use lightweight oil such as WD40 or Beezwax and soft cotton rags for polishing cymbals, hardware and shells. Oil is a gentle cleaner and great moisturizer for metal but careful around the ink if you want to maintain it. I avoid abrasive cleaners unless I am restoring an old piece with pitting or rust, then it’s liquid Bar Keeper’s Friend.

Attachments

• E826270E-0462-4154-ABC0-669F8CDC9D11.jpeg
    E826270E-0462-4154-ABC0-669F8CDC9D11.jpeg
    926.6 KB · Views: 2
Does anybody really know if it changes the sound if you have brand new crisp cymbals versus well used?

Does anybody really know if it changes the sound if you have brand new crisp cymbals versus well used?
Yes the sound changes. It get less bright, less harsh, and a bit more mellow sounding over time due to oxidation (patina)

Yes the sound changes. It get less bright, less harsh, and a bit more mellow sounding over time due to oxidation (patina)
Thank you!

Back