The Beatles - Get Back Documentary

There's an interview with Giles Martin, and he says he asked Paul about the current 2021 remix, what should he do about all the Spector stuff on The Long and Winding Road, and Paul said something like "leave it, you can't change history, just turn down the harp".
That is a hilarious response response from Paul. It also showed wisdom.

Man, i just got to where Billy showed up and what a difference.. you can hear the joy and fun in the music again.. i wish he had been there a lot sooner..
Yeah, he definitely breathed fresh life back into the studio and freed up the others to focus on their parts while he fit in so naturally with their grooves.

It's also interesting to me that out of all of those other people in and out of the studio prior to Billy's arrival that no one else was solicited (or lobbied) for the keys. I imagine it was meant to be, so I'll let it be.

George said after something along the lines that Billy's presence made the rest of them have to act more normal and positive as they can't be "bitchy" or whatever.

It's funny, because from Preston's point of view, he's getting a chance to play with The Beatles, biggest band in the world, so he's going to want to impress them.

And from their point of view, they have to live up to being the best band in the world in front of someone who's a great musician and singer. Everybody's got to step it up!

I liked when Linda McCartney said something, and Paul says "what was that, Yoko?" :D

I'm half way thru part 2, and the whole thing is fascinating. Biggest impression is that Paul worked his ass off. Seeing him forcing great songs to materialize out of thin air under the gun is amazing. It's hard not to get a bit emotional seeing things like Bathroom Window being born on film.

I liked when Linda McCartney said something, and Paul says "what was that, Yoko?" :D

I'm half way thru part 2, and the whole thing is fascinating. Biggest impression is that Paul worked his ass off. Seeing him forcing great songs to materialize out of thin air under the gun is amazing. It's hard not to get a bit emotional seeing things like Bathroom Window being born on film.

I laughed when I heard that as well.

That being said........through the first 1.25 episodes (I can only take 30-40mins at a time) I find her presence annoying to me. She is like a cling-on and just sits there looking judgmental......and then that period where she was just shrieking into the microphone......my ears will not unhear that. That all being said, it doesn't sound like Ringo or Paul cared that she was there or that she was an issue per se......based on PM's "In 50years..." comment

They seemed to make it apparent that the issue was more about them all growing apart from the live together, write together life.
The Rolling Stones still exist and tour- and if there were some global blackout Yesterday then The Beatles wouldn’t even exist today. So “Get Back” indeed.
You are welcome to ignore the fact that the Beatles still sell more albums than the Stones every year. And they've been broken up for what, 50 years? I really don't see why anyone gives a rat's backside about the Stones, I can see better blues than that on any night in the clubs around Nashville for instance.
But that said, there's this:

hear-me-out-the-rolling-stones-dont-have-a-drummer-and-bassist-the-beatles-only-have-a-drummer...jpg

I’m just kidding around I could give a rats ass of either and never listen to them. Just people make much of the Beatles or Stones choice - like some personality trait. Just busting chops and having fun.

I’m just kidding around I could give a rats ass of either and never listen to them. Just people make much of the Beatles or Stones choice - like some personality trait. Just busting chops and having fun.
All good, brother.

I love how Ringo's train-beat vibe in Get Back just sits, it's so tight and immutable. The groove sits, the hits sit, the fills sit like a rock. Just crazy good. I hear plenty of drummers that I respect who can't play like that.

We binged it over two days. Each episode is 2+ hours so not your typical 35 minute episodes.

We loved the documentary. As others have said, was eye-opening about Paul being the leader. Not sure if that was true pre-Ono but it was sure true during Get Back. My God Yoko find something else to do give John some space.

Also were riveted to the episodes watching their creative process. And just like with good bands I've played with, when the lights came on the adrenaline started flowing they were cooking with oil.

Another thing was the eye contact and almost mystic connection between Paul and John. George was just sorta there.

Finally - about Ringo. I have 1000% more respect for him as a drummer now. He played exactly and precisely what was needed for their sound. No more no less. And it was exactly right. And frankly I don't understand how he played that well with the high seat and keeping his hands so close to his body.

A bloody good two evenings we had watching.

Man, i just got to where Billy showed up and what a difference.. you can hear the joy and fun in the music again.. i wish he had been there a lot sooner..
Billy was the closer at a Bowzer oldies fest at Mohegan Sun Arena for two nights (only did one more show in the Bahamas before he died), I backed up most of the show on bass, then got to stand wherever I wanted to watch Billy in action for two whole nights. First night I watched his hands, second night I got the out front experience. He could only do a little over a half hour as his kidneys were going on him, but when he got behind the organ and Rhodes, it was like nothing I had ever seen. A complete 180 from his offstage demeanor. Didn't want to bother him but I did tell him how much I learned about music from listening to him over the years and had a bunch of his records, and he was very gracious and seemed genuinely happy about that.

And it was very clear that Billy drove the wedge of joy into the Beatles' gloom the second he started playing with them. They really stepped up their games bigtime at that point.

Billy was the closer at a Bowzer oldies fest at Mohegan Sun Arena for two nights (only did one more show in the Bahamas before he died), I backed up most of the show on bass, then got to stand wherever I wanted to watch Billy in action for two whole nights. First night I watched his hands, second night I got the out front experience. He could only do a little over a half hour as his kidneys were going on him, but when he got behind the organ and Rhodes, it was like nothing I had ever seen. A complete 180 from his offstage demeanor. Didn't want to bother him but I did tell him how much I learned about music from listening to him over the years and had a bunch of his records, and he was very gracious and seemed genuinely happy about that.

And it was very clear that Billy drove the wedge of joy into the Beatles' gloom the second he started playing with them. They really stepped up their games bigtime at that point.
That is a great story and i'm glad to hear he was as nice as he seemed... i drum along to his videos a bit cause it just makes me happy :) he seemed like the happiest guy to ever sit behind a piano

I laughed when I heard that as well.

That being said........through the first 1.25 episodes (I can only take 30-40mins at a time) I find her presence annoying to me. She is like a cling-on and just sits there looking judgmental......and then that period where she was just shrieking into the microphone......my ears will not unhear that. That all being said, it doesn't sound like Ringo or Paul cared that she was there or that she was an issue per se......based on PM's "In 50years..." comment
Now that I see all of them jamming with Yoko and having fun with it, I think her presence is pretty awesome. They were experimenting with sound collages long before she entered the picture, and Yoko's nothing if not a sound collage in human form.

It's interesting, since I didn't grow up with the Beatles per se and since I was familiar with their music but not all the twists and turns in their story....if I look at just this documentary and forget what I thought I knew about the 4 personalities in the band I would come away saying Paul was clearly the leader and driving force, George just struggled to find his place, Ringo said little but would some how come up with a very fitting part as soon as a song form was ready for him. I would then say John was really friggin annoying and childish and had this weird cling-on of a girlfriend that attached herself to him like a fungus.......

I love music documentaries, music history, and I really like the Beatles.

But I got 3/4 the way through Ep 1 and had to stop.

I mean, I've been in band rehearsal, I've done the sitting around trying to come up with ideas for songs. It's fun to do, but boring to watch.

I love music documentaries, music history, and I really like the Beatles.

But I got 3/4 the way through Ep 1 and had to stop.

I mean, I've been in band rehearsal, I've done the sitting around trying to come up with ideas for songs. It's fun to do, but boring to watch.
I enjoyed it because it seemed very much like every practice I've ever had, except it all wasn't instantly committed to tape. Nice to know that even The Beatles had to wade through the suckage to get to the good stuff. If it were anyone else, I'd probably agree that it's boring, but it's The Beatles.

Back