Help getting tension rods for 70's CB700 toms and bass drum

JimmyM

Diamond Member
I have scoured the net for info on these rods, even took samples to the hardware to figure out the right size threads, and I still have no idea what type to get. The threads on the tom rods just didn't feel right to me.

Here's what I got for them:

Bass Drum - 4 1/4" from bottom of shoulder to end of threads, M6-1.00, 7/32" dia or close to it.

Toms - 1 5/8" from bottom of should to end of threads, 1/4-20, 3/16" dia, which seems really odd to me since they're made in Japan.

Am I right or way the heck off?

Try here................

I'm pretty sure they are standard size tension rods. "Regular" Tension rods are 7/32" in diameter and are 12-24 threading.

I assume the bass drum is the same, although some import bass drums used 6mm threading. My guess is they are normal tension rod threaded receivers. If not, you can always just get regular tension rods and replace the receivers for cheap:

Try here................

I'm pretty sure they are standard size tension rods. "Regular" Tension rods are 7/32" in diameter and are 12-24 threading.

I assume the bass drum is the same, although some import bass drums used 6mm threading. My guess is they are normal tension rod threaded receivers. If not, you can always just get regular tension rods and replace the receivers for cheap:

Very cool...didn't know you could replace the receivers. Thanks for the info. Bass drum's probably a couple weeks off but I'm going to put bottom heads on the toms within a week. Only got two, but with new rims and heads I imagine it'll be close to a hundy.

Just noticed that my CB700's were made in Taiwan, not Japan. Oops!

Back