LOUD snare buzzzzzzzz

The struggle stops here, this drum is probably not the one I'm looking for. Off it'll go to someone who could relive its life in what I tell him/her. I won't hurt the snare drum, but it's getting so hard, oh!
Hopefully I'll exchange it with a snare drum of our times, a snare drum of our times. A new (used) Renown or something. I feel so safe and so secure with a current production drum.
And I just can't help but misquote Genesis when Mr. Winston is here. I could show you, I could show you, some of the music in my life! :D

I hate that the drum isn't working for you (though I'm loving the quotes) but I'd suggest giving the drum one more shot with a significantly narrower set of wires in the 12 to 16-strand range. That's my preferred wire count on all of my snares, and I get plenty of snare response and more shell tone too. I think especially with deep snare beds that's the best way to go.

I hate that the drum isn't working for you (though I'm loving the quotes) but I'd suggest giving the drum one more shot with a significantly narrower set of wires in the 12 to 16-strand range. That's my preferred wire count on all of my snares, and I get plenty of snare response and more shell tone too. I think especially with deep snare beds that's the best way to go.
Question for you, Winston. My norm for snare wires is 20-strand, but now that I'm running Diplomat Snare Side heads, I think it would be interesting to subtract from that number on occasions when I want a bit less wire presence while maintaining the sensitivity and dryness that the Diplomat Snare Side delivers. I've used 16-strand wires before but never 12. Do you notice a significant difference between 12 and 16? If so, picking up a 12-strand set might make more sense, as that would give me the greatest departure from my 20-strand standard.

Question for you, Winston. My norm for snare wires is 20-strand, but now that I'm running Diplomat Snare Side heads, I think it would be interesting to subtract from that number on occasions when I want a bit less wire presence while maintaining the sensitivity and dryness that the Diplomat Snare Side delivers. I've used 16-strand wires before but never 12. Do you notice a significant difference between 12 and 16? If so, picking up a 12-strand set might make more sense, as that would give me the greatest departure from my 20-strand standard.

I don't remember a big difference between the 12, 14, and 16 wire sets. For me they all sit in a sweet spot where I can get enough snap to make it sound like a snare drum without having an excessively wet and long snare response. Fewer wires mean I can run them at a lower tension too.

I don't remember a big difference between the 12, 14, and 16 wire sets. For me they all sit in a sweet spot where I can get enough snap to make it sound like a snare drum without having an excessively wet and long snare response. Fewer wires mean I can run them at a lower tension too.
Thanks for your insight. It's not a pressing issue at all, just something I might explore down the line. I like a fair amount of snap no matter how I'm tuned, so I'm sure I'll stick with 20 as a norm.

I tried manually aligning the 20-strand snare wires to the crooked snare bed (so there must be some misalignment with the throwoff) and voilà, there's no buzz at all, no buzz at all.
Now I'm just waiting for a Puresound Blaster (EDIT: oops, I meant 'Twisted') to show, oh. Truth is I love the Gretsch-with-42-strand tone, more than the snare bed wanted to!

Last edited:
I only use 12-strand wires these days. I like to hear a lot of the drum's tone so this gives you the opportunity to tighten the snares to get a great response without sizzling out the tone. (My favourite ever are the Sonor wires that came with the Benny Greb signature snare cut down to 12 - I've never seen them after-market, but they eclipse anything else I've tried from Puresound to Canopus.)

Back