Any members who work full time but tour, also?

I've leaned that biting off more than you can chew is one of the best ways to force yourself to grow.

Man, isn't that the truth. I joined a band where the rest of the musicians were significantly better players than I am. At first I turned them down because I thought I didn't have the skill to match their playing and I didn't want to embarrass myself. However, they liked me a lot and talked me into it. Ever since I became their drummer I've noticed a significant boost in my chops and playing with better musicians made me a better musician as a result.

So yes, take the chance and go for it. If the gig pays good enough for you to live comfortably on the pay, you'll massively regret not taking it.

Man, isn't that the truth. I joined a band where the rest of the musicians were significantly better players than I am. At first I turned them down because I thought I didn't have the skill to match their playing and I didn't want to embarrass myself. However, they liked me a lot and talked me into it. Ever since I became their drummer I've noticed a significant boost in my chops and playing with better musicians made me a better musician as a result.

So yes, take the chance and go for it. If the gig pays good enough for you to live comfortably on the pay, you'll massively regret not taking it.
I agree wholeheartedly; playing with better musicians makes you a better musician. I won't be quitting my day job any time soon though - I'm doing this for the experience. I would definitely regret not trying.

I got the job!

Won't say much more than that for now. It's a Tim McGraw tribute band. The vocalist was part of a legends show in Las Vegas for five years. He's great. The keyboard player is quite possibly the best musician I've ever worked with. Can't wait to learn from the guy.

Anyway, a weight has been lifted. I've got my work cut out for me but I'm over the first hurdle!

I got the job!

Won't say much more than that for now. It's a Tim McGraw tribute band. The vocalist was part of a legends show in Las Vegas for five years. He's great. The keyboard player is quite possibly the best musician I've ever worked with. Can't wait to learn from the guy.

Anyway, a weight has been lifted. I've got my work cut out for me but I'm over the first hurdle!
Glad to hear it, man. I've always liked McGraw's stuff and have covered some of it myself in bands. It should be a fun experience.

Thanks C.M. I really enjoyed learning the songs. Modern country music is harder to play than it sounds!
Country drumming doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's erroneously seen as simplistic and monotonous. But those of us who do it regularly know otherwise. It's filled with dynamic mastery and subtle command. Furthermore, country has a groove unto itself. It's not rock under a different name. I've heard rock drummers who are perfectly proficient in their own genre but don't fully grasp the unique vibe of country. You have to immerse yourself in country to do it right.

Play with pride. You've got a good gig.

Last edited:
I got the job!

Congrats!

Well, that didn't last long. 😁 They auditioned one more guy and he took the top job. I dropped to number 3 on the depth chart. They replaced the bass player as well so there's a lot of churn happening in that band at the moment.

I'm not even that disappointed, to be honest. I wasn't completely comfortable with the level of responsibility that the job brought. I'm happy that I took the chance and encouraged that I came as close as I did but I'm feeling more relief than disappointment at this point.

I'm getting close but I'm not where I want/need to be yet. Time to get to work.

Well, that didn't last long. 😁 They auditioned one more guy and he took the top job. I dropped to number 3 on the depth chart. They replaced the bass player as well so there's a lot of churn happening in that band at the moment.

I'm not even that disappointed, to be honest. I wasn't completely comfortable with the level of responsibility that the job brought. I'm happy that I took the chance and encouraged that I came as close as I did but I'm feeling more relief than disappointment at this point.

You still smashed it mate! The rest is out of your hands. Well done! (y) :)

Keep your spirits high, man. Factors beyond your drumming may have informed the final selection. Music is a business, and business decisions almost always involve a spectrum of elements. If you didn't get the gig, it wasn't the right fit for you. Play on and stay positive.

Keep your spirits high, man. Factors beyond your drumming may have informed the final selection. Music is a business, and business decisions almost always involve a spectrum of elements. If you didn't get the gig, it wasn't the right fit for you. Play on and stay positive.
Thank you, my friend. I have no doubt that you are right. I remain as motivated as ever, if not more so.

Back