K custom special dry original

Hey guys.

i know there is the original k custom special dry ride, but is there an original special dry crash line? I cant seem to find any information about original special dry crashes.

any experience here please?

cheers

As far as I know there is no such crash, only the rides, the 21”, and the very rare 22”.
The Special Dry crashes from the newer line are nice, though. I’m not crazy about the newer rides, though. Too heavy.

I haven't spotted a 22" Special Dry in the document yet but from previous experience the model history isn't 100% complete. Or when you say 22" Special Dry were you perhaps thinking of the 22" Special Dry Complex?
I nearly purchased a 22" Special Dry. I didn't bc it was riveted. It was definitely not the Complex model.

I didn't know about the OG Special Dry crashes, thanks!
Just bought one of the originals crashes. Doesn’t sort of explode like the newer ones. Very short sustain though.
Sounds about right. The OG Special Dry rides are very subdued, even when crashed. They don't open up much.

I had the 21" custom dry for a while & TBH, I didn't like it. Sounded like a nasty trash can lid & that just never worked with what I played.

I had the 21" custom dry for a while & TBH, I didn't like it. Sounded like a nasty trash can lid & that just never worked with what I played.
I've never been able to get on board with them either. They aren't bad cymbals; they just don't mesh well with what I play. Their dryness (and extremely brief sustain) sometimes gives them an almost electronic sound in mixes. I'm tempted to classify them as effects cymbals on those occasions.

Last edited:
The OG Special Dry 21” really shines in a jazz combo or fusion setting. Not much else. As the name implies, it’s specialized.

The OG Special Dry 21” really shines in a jazz combo or fusion setting. Not much else. As the name implies, it’s specialized.
Definitely. That sound has its proper place. I actually like the hats the best of the series. They've got an understated vibe that could work very well at times. I just lean toward all-purpose cymbals, and, as you mention, the K Dry is more of a niche pie.

I had the OG back when I played Zildjian and I found that to be a wonderfully versatile cymbal - but I signed with Bosphorus in 2013 so it's been a very long time since I've used it.

I had three rides - a custom made 18" K flat ride - the OG 21" Special Dry Ride (which I actually found less dry and electronic than I was anticipating at the time) and a 21" K Custom Hybrid Ride. That triple combo got me through anything. I only had the Special dry and the flat for a long time though before adding the hybrid ride and I did it for a little more high end cut on certain tracks.

Really a great cymbal - I hate the old crashes though. They sounded muted - way too dry...like duct taped almost. The new crashes are way better - but the OG ride was more versatile.

Back