You get in your car

I grew up in a mixed-music setting. My dad was a classical pianist, my mom was mostly into Motown, and my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were primarily country fans. Depending on whose presence I was in, I had exposure to a wealth of genres and styles. Here's my favorite R&B song ever, recorded in 1978. The groove, sincerity, and mood of this piece are metaphysical to me. If I could listen only to five tracks for the rest of my life, this would be one of them.

same here...dad was a jazz and Motown guy; mom was a hippy; my moms side of the family were all professional musicians in classical, bluegrass and rock, so I got a taste of everything growing up...

In the Muscle Shoals documentary, Al Cooper (producer) talks about how well prepared the band came to their recording session. That triple-Guitar noodling in Free Bird? Written & rehearsed.

Watched that last month with my mom. I played in a southern rock band in my youth, but I didn't learn the intricacies with different styles until I moved away from hard rock in the mid 80s. Unfortunately I thought at the time that it was corny drumming. Our band now does Curtis Lowe and it's one of my favourites. Probably because music these days has gone to shit with all the computerization of beats. Country and jazz are the last vestibules left.

I get in my car… and turn off any pop from the 90’s forward.

But we have a commercial free jazz station here. They also play blues, old school R&B and funk. I rarely get in the car and change the station.

Part of the problem is, having replaced my car with my bicycle, I rarely get in a car unless I'm taking some drums to a rehearsal or gig, at which point I'm installing earplugs before I forget to do so at my destination.

The other problem is I watched the movie "Christine". I'm of the mindset that I'm not the only one in command of my travels. I would hate to drown out the left turn signal on my route. It's not a perfect shuffle pattern nor is it a funky 16th note groove, but boy is it fun to get lost in the turn lanes these days!

I am amazed that such a large percentage of you listen to the radio. I've lived in the middle of NY State since 1998 and I honestly couldn't even tell you the names or call numbers of any stations except the local college station (which plays NPR until the kids wake up).

I am amazed that such a large percentage of you listen to the radio. I've lived in the middle of NY State since 1998 and I honestly couldn't even tell you the names or call numbers of any stations except the local college station (which plays NPR until the kids wake up).
My truck radio has 6 pages of presets (36 total). All but three are SiriusXM stations ‘cuz I can receive a signal even when my cell phone has no signal (e.g., in west Texas, west New Mexico, southern Missouri, and a favorite of @Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX , the Upper Penninsula.

Part of the problem is, having replaced my car with my bicycle, I rarely get in a car unless I'm taking some drums to a rehearsal or gig, at which point I'm installing earplugs before I forget to do so at my destination.

The other problem is I watched the movie "Christine". I'm of the mindset that I'm not the only one in command of my travels. I would hate to drown out the left turn signal on my route. It's not a perfect shuffle pattern nor is it a funky 16th note groove, but boy is it fun to get lost in the turn lanes these days!

to me, that is a solution...to MANY problems....

No need for duck and cover, but it seems that there is a preponderance of dislike among the active members here for Lynyrd Skynyrd and I’m tryna figure out why. I was a wee lad growing up in the Deep South when these guys hit their peak, and enjoy the groove. They actually had an huge following in Great Britain before the fateful crash despite being a bunch of rednecks with not much stage presence. But they did know how to cut the rug and had some pretty successful stuff in their early years.
What gives? Anyone?
Every time their songs are played live, they have a strange way of flushing out every obnoxious drunk. Bad association I guess, but I actually like southern rock.

Every time their songs are played live, they have a strange way of flushing out every obnoxious drunk. Bad association I guess, but I actually like southern rock.
Yeah, hicks yelling ‘Free Bird’ because they want to play air guitar for 10 minutes from the floor to impress the local talent.

Well Top Ten Songs that usually I play in my car automotive gun safe,
Faded-Alan Walker, shape of you-Ed Sheeran, Let me love you- Justin Bieber, strip that down- Liam Payne, Rockabye- clean bandit, 3 Peg- Sharry Maan

Just pick the right channel hehe
I rarely listen to radio, but i like to hear the news mumble in the background when I'm driving to work. And when the shitty music comes on, i switch to music on my phone and it's time for some metal

Back