You get in your car

Rick Astley, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Joplin, Cher, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton, Billie Eilish, Most Rap, Death Metal or Blue Grass, and newer soleless Pop.

Running for cover....
No need for duck and cover, but it seems that there is a preponderance of dislike among the active members here for Lynyrd Skynyrd and I’m tryna figure out why. I was a wee lad growing up in the Deep South when these guys hit their peak, and enjoy the groove. They actually had an huge following in Great Britain before the fateful crash despite being a bunch of rednecks with not much stage presence. But they did know how to cut the rug and had some pretty successful stuff in their early years.
What gives? Anyone?

I like their deeper cuts

"The Railroad Song'
"Ballad of Curtis Lowe"
"Saturday Night Special"
"Tuesdays Gone"
"Whiskey Rock a Roller"
"I Know a Little"
"You Got That Right"
"I Aint the One"
"Made in the Shade"

Love that band

No need for duck and cover, but it seems that there is a preponderance of dislike among the active members here for Lynyrd Skynyrd and I’m tryna figure out why.
Skynyrd rules. I'll take them over Zeppelin, the Stones, or any number of classic-rock deities. Yes, I just wrote that. I also meant it.

Last edited:
I like their deeper cuts

"The Railroad Song'
"Ballad of Curtis Lowe"
"Saturday Night Special"
"Tuesdays Gone"
"Whiskey Rock a Roller"
"I Know a Little"
"You Got That Right"
"I Aint the One"
"Made in the Shade"

Love that band
Totally agree, most of best tracks never get air play. One must listen to the entire album to understand and appreciate the music.
Skip the radio tunes and listen to the ones less heard:

No need for duck and cover, but it seems that there is a preponderance of dislike among the active members here for Lynyrd Skynyrd and I’m tryna figure out why.
I dig me some Skynyrd.

"The Railroad Song'
"Ballad of Curtis Lowe"
"Saturday Night Special"
"Tuesdays Gone"
"Whiskey Rock a Roller"
"I Know a Little"
"You Got That Right"
"I Aint the One"
"Made in the Shade"
Gimmie Three Steps
Simple Man
That Smell
Free Bird
Sweet Home Alabama
Gimmie Back My Bullets

Curtis Loew - is my hero
Call me the breeze - gets me going (no living person can listen to this without tapping at least one foot)
I ain’t the one - sublime

Watched a documentary recently, these guys holed up in a shack for weeks at a time practicing and recording, there was no improvisation it was done ‘by the book’ when the tape was rolling.

If I turn on the radio in my own vehicle and it’s not tuned to NPR, then it gets changed.

My wife was part of the national management at NPR in DC for twenty years. She retired in 2009, but I can still count on her car radio to be tuned to NPR if she is driving.

:D

I listen to Sirius XM in the car if the radio is on. I also recently started streaming Napster on occasion. I use it because I can build playlists of songs that I'm in the midst of learning. (I used to use my iPod the same way.)

For the most part I don't listen to the radio when I'm driving unless I'm on the highway.

Getting back to the original question, AC/DC will get me reach for the dial every time. I don't think that I have ever listened to an entire AC/DC song willingly. And in answer to the obvious question, either of their singers draw that reaction out of me.

Last edited:
Skynyrd rules. I'll take them over Zeppelin, the Stones, or any number of classic-rock deities. Yes, I just wrote that. I also meant it.
You may get some pushback on that statement lol.

I think one of the reasons people get burned out on classic rock deities is because they probably don’t get into the deeper cuts that got little or no airplay back in the day and only hear the top hits from most groups.

I listen to Spotify which allows me complete control. I have my own playlists of various artists and I occasionally listen to someone else’s play list but never put on an artist’s playlist because I don’t want to hear their top selling songs first. I go to a specific album and listen to music the way the band intended it.

Getting back to the original question, AC/DC will get me reach for the dial every time. I don't think that I have ever listened to an entire AC/DC song willingly. And in answer to the obvious question, either of their singers draw that reaction out of me.
You have obviously never heard this:

Anything with a bloody rhythm box !
French FM is awful, it's either R&B, Hip Hop I just can't stand. Or it's worn out FM pop rock from the eighties... contemporary French pop which is lame and insipid as it can get... and of course stupid commercials.
So I only use the FM for the news or debate.
Otherwise, my .m4a bank rules...

I find it kind of interesting, that everyone can name everything they hate! I have sounds/styles etc that I cannot stand, but by extension I don't bother learning what it is! I avoid it at all costs!
So with that in mind, there have been a bunch of songs over the last few years that I couldn't tell you the artist, or the style, but they're all the same to me, with about 16 words of lyrics, at best, repeated over and over with some "tune" I could have made in 30 seconds on a arpeggiator and MIDI scale effect in Ableton. One comes to mind had lyrics like "It's 6am in the morning, and I'm boring, I might be yawning..." or something along those lines - I dunno...just really? If that's the best subject matter you can come up with why not go for suicide and make it a quiet one so no one has to hear about it?

Trap. Anything trap. With that awful synthetic hihat.
To be honest anything with a guitar that isn't heavily distorted is likely to be on the firing line. With a few exceptions but unfortunately I don't hear much krautrock on the radio!

It's been about 9 years of living in London that I've not owned a car, and when I rent one, especially now with bluetooth, I don't really do radio, so this is more what gets inflicted upon me in taxis, barely even do shops too much with the internet.

C) None of the above.
Yeah, I just wrote that.

My mother is big ol' Beatles fan and I was beaten about the ears for my entire home life with them. I appreciate the contribution to music and what Mr. Starkey brought to the drums. That being said, I can do without. That applies to all of the "classic rock", Doors, Who, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Skynrd, etc. I'll change the dial every time. Again, I appreciate what those groups did for music as a whole and I can appreciate the talent of the musicians, but I don't care to hear any of it.
I'm R&B/Funk/Hip-hop guy. Deep cuts for me are things like, The New Birth - Honeybee. Dyke & The Blazers live on my playlist, as do the Bar-Kays and Lyn Collins. Sly and Funkadelic are as close to "classic rock" as I'm gonna get.

Last edited:
I'm R&B/Funk/Hip-hop guy.
I grew up in a mixed-music setting. My dad was a classical pianist, my mom was mostly into Motown, and my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were primarily country fans. Depending on whose presence I was in, I had exposure to a wealth of genres and styles. Here's my favorite R&B song ever, recorded in 1978. The groove, sincerity, and mood of this piece are metaphysical to me. If I could listen only to five tracks for the rest of my life, this would be one of them.

Here's my favorite R&B song ever, recorded in 1978. The groove, sincerity, and mood of this piece are metaphysical to me. If I could listen only to five tracks for the rest of my life, this would be one of them.
And this would be one of mine:

I've heard Phil Collins try to play AWB's "Pickin' Up The Pieces". But I wouldn't be able to avoid listening to that unless I was actively searching for it on YouTube - or the DJ at the radio station (which I never listen to radio these days) gives a lengthy song introduction, repeating the drummer's name several times, which never happens so.

Death metal is out and any rap that has nasty talk is as well. Still hoping for a chance at the back of the janitor's closet next to the elevator to purgatory. I figure anything's better than spending eternity with my feet dangling above a cauldron of hot fire and molten lava. Thanks Neil Peart!

Last edited:
I like their deeper cuts

"The Railroad Song'
"Ballad of Curtis Lowe"
"Saturday Night Special"
"Tuesdays Gone"
"Whiskey Rock a Roller"
"I Know a Little"
"You Got That Right"
"I Aint the One"
"Made in the Shade"

Love that band
agreed

Incredible band that unfairly gets pigeon holed into the "southern rock" thing when they are much much more than that.

they are much much more than , Sweet Home..., Free Bird, etc...

Superb musicians ... the realest of deals

I'll add... ..
Gimme Back My Bullets
On The Hunt
Every Mothers Son
All I Can Do Is Write About It
Roll Gypsy Roll
...to your great list

I’m trolling. It is amusing that people would get upset about it like everybody has to like them. But if I said Maroon 5 or Taylor Swift then it’s ok to not like them. Personally I think everybody should like that Disney metal band, Five Finger Death Punch - they’re a good primer for youngins looking to a viable way to like metal without getting any bad dreams 😉
Disney metal band? There should be a law against that lol :cool:

Back