Tama translates to….

PaisteGuy

A Croatian Co-worker who plays guitar, told me that Tama translates to ‘Darkness’ in his language. Not sure I believe it, but he’s not a bullshitter at work. So I guess Us Tama players, play Darkness.

tooth, copper, father, depending on the language can mean many things. A very simple word to say or pronounce.

"Paragon" being "a person or thing regarded as a perfect example of a particular quality."
Seems Neil knew what he was talking about with regards to his cymbal line.

'Tama' in Japanese has a lot meanings (ball, jewel,...even used in the words for egg & testicles) and also proper names such as female name (different kanji characters) which I think was the case for Tama drums history from a name after someone's wife but they don't use any characters so it's interpretive. Also a very popular cat name which makes me laugh, I always think of a feline CEO at the head of the table at Tama drums.

Interesting. I'd never looked up the meaning of Tama. I presumed it was related to the term tam-tam. I believe tam-tam is where the modern concept of the tom-tom originated. I like Tama's translation as "darkness" a whole lot more though.

Pearl, which, of course, refers to a gem found in the shell of an oyster, also means best, finest, top, or elite. I'd assess those adjectives as accurate descriptors of Pearl's product line.

I'll cease the Pearl panegyrics before matters get out of hand.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'd never looked up the meaning of Tama. I presumed it was related to the term tam-tam. I believe tam-tam is where the modern concept of the tom-tom originated. I like Tama's translation as darkness a whole lot more though.

Pearl, which, of course, refers to a gem found in the shell of an oyster, also means best, finest, top, or elite. I'd assess those adjectives as accurate descriptors of Pearl's product line.

I'll cease the Pearl panegyrics before matters get out of hand.
Someone once told me, or I read somewhere, that Pearl was named after the jewel, as that is one of the symbols of Japan.

I cant say if it is true or not but I've always liked the idea.

Pearl was named after Minnie Pearl because the founder of the company loved Hee Haw so much.It was huge in Japan.
Not a huge stretch of the imagination, really. Her affiliation with the Grand Ole Opry could be romantically cited to explain Pearl's decision to plant its US headquarters in Nashville.

Hee Haw ruled, by the way. My childhood wouldn't have been the same without it.

On Wikipedia, they say it means "plentiful and full/satisfying". Could also mean "soul" or "jade" to my understanding.
Coincidentally, in Chinese it means "motherf**ker" (lit. "his mother").

Yamaha begins as "Yamada", which means "field (arable land) in the hills/mountains", and is the family name of the founder.
Pearl could just be a random English-like name to cater for the Anglophone market - just like Roland, whose founder just randomly chose a name on a phonebook.

Back