Won Two National Jazz Road Grants!

NouveauCliche

Very happy to announce that out of many applications - two projects I'm working on have road the Jazz Road Creative Residency Grants for 2021/22

The first project is an Indigenous Big Band that will bring indigenous musicians from all over the country together to create and travel and perform in a big band setting - though no performing music you might traditionally expect out of a "Big Band". We'll be exploring the instrumentation style and creating original pieces through an indigenous lens...so no faux Buddy Rich action from me from the drums hopefully. This will be led by my dear friend Julia Keefe and decade long bandmate Delbert Anderson.

The second project is one I'm really proud of. It's called "Painted Mountains" - which has very long story behind the title which I share if you're interested.

Anyways - it's a partnership with the Bureau of Land Management - our band D'DAT will be touring 6 national monuments - meeting with the original land owners and indigenous tribes where the monuments set, learning their songs and composing new songs based on their traditional melodies (which is something we've done with our past couple of albums) and performing concerts at each monument. We will be traveling with a documentary team as well and the final product will be a new album that will be available at the monuments and all the regular music spots as well. We be joined at one of the monuments by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior - Deb Haaland. This year is sponsored by Jazz Road - but in meetings we had nearly 300 sites that wanted us to come and play, etc. so the BLM is literally making a budget to reproduce this year after year with us.

Fun stuff!!

Attachments

• JazzRoad.JPG
    JazzRoad.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 6
Quite the accomplishment!

Congradulations!

So many indigenous music forms starting to fade much like the languages they are usually surrounding.

I hope some attention goes to inuit throat singing and at least one endangered inuit language.

I have kicked around the idea of an endangered language based opera/musical...but I have also kicked around MANY other ideas.

These are the best stories. Sure I like seeing someone's new 4 piece whateva. But this is very cool, congrats.

That sounds fantastic! Which 6 monuments will you be performing at?

So y'all get to meet mother nature? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Since there was so much interest - I think the BLM is figuring out a tour route that makes this year - once I know the specifics I'll post them here.

There's a lot more monuments than I suspected and some of them are well set up for hosting a concert / band. :)

Some...like the one near burning man - will be super remote haha and I'll be in Cajon land (yikes) - but it should be great.

Great work, congratulations!

Thanks Todd - I think we have some portland stuff coming up - I know half the band was just there for Western Arts Alliance - I'll be in touch when we're up that way!

Quite the accomplishment!

Congradulations!

So many indigenous music forms starting to fade much like the languages they are usually surrounding.

I hope some attention goes to inuit throat singing and at least one endangered inuit language.

I have kicked around the idea of an endangered language based opera/musical...but I have also kicked around MANY other ideas.

Ahhhh - we know some really cool inuit throat singers. I just played a couple shows with a band call Pamyua (two members of our band played with them and we did some dual shows) and they mix in some throat singing with like...funky pop cool music. Awesome band that I was stoked to play with!

The musical / opera sounds awesome...if you ever want to chat about it - DM me! Those are the kinds of projects we love!!!

Congratulations and kudos to all your groups efforts to educate and entertain exploring indigenous culture. A friend of mine studied the Shuar people of Ecuador and Peru and my HVAC tech friend is Klallum (I’m not sure of spelling). Much of indigenous culture has sadly been lost so I love efforts like this. Kudos- once again.

Everything about both of these projects sounds not only fun and exciting but incredibly important. This is fantastic news Nicholas, way to go!

Congratulations!

Back