What products have caused you to become a snob?

The US simply updated the weaponry from the last time we armed the Taliban. We left behind all kinds of weapons and missiles in the 80s when we bounced after the Mujahedeen pushed out the Soviets. This is simply version 2.0
No one has ever succeeded in Afghanistan. No one. It was doomed to fail from day 1, there was no real reason to be there. The only way the country wasn't going back to Taliban control was if the US was going to keep an occupying force there indefinitely.

I could fully explain the minute details, but it'll get me banned.

FWIW: Gun control and abortion debates are designed to keep the masses occupied while the 1% robs you blind.
I'm glad someone else gets the connection between the Mujahedeen and the Taliban. Seems people forget the history, then wonder why they are shooting at us with our own stuff.

I'm glad someone else gets the connection between the Mujahedeen and the Taliban. Seems people forget the history, then wonder why they are shooting at us with our own stuff.
Pretty hard for me to forget that history considering I was on the receiving end of the Mujahedeen and they killed half my family. But, that's a lengthy conversation for another forum, which doesn't exist. I've had my meetings with the ban hammer, so will keep most comments to myself. What's amazing to me is how often I try to tell people of what happened and is happening and the reply is that could never have happened and certainly won't happen here. It did, can and is.

What's amazing to me is how often I try to tell people of what happened and is happening and the reply is that could never have happened and certainly won't happen here. It did, can and is.
It’s so discouraging to watch the societal decay. When I email my senators they respond with a copy/paste response that doesn’t address my concerns.

It’s so discouraging to watch the societal decay. When I email my senators they respond with a copy/paste response that doesn’t address my concerns.
At least you have gotten responses. I've taken hours to write detailed emails and mailed letters. Not so much as an acknowledgement, except for one, the same one every time. He actually replies with personal responses. The others are a total joke. They do however regularly air commercial spots telling the public how good a job their doing though! "....call and thank Senator **** for fighting for or their great work." The arrogance!

At least you have gotten responses. I've taken hours to write detailed emails and mailed letters. Not so much as an acknowledgement, except for one, the same one every time. He actually replies with personal responses. The others are a total joke. They do however regularly air commercial spots telling the public how good a job their doing though! "....call and thank Senator **** for fighting for or their great work." The arrogance!
This is discouraging, and sadly my experience as well.
My Senators are OK about fielding calls, but my Rep is on top of things. Our district rep, Ed Perlmutter is a community guy. I've personally talked to him many times.
One of my friends was getting no replies from Arlington Nat'l about his mother's burial. He called Mikulski's (D-MD) office and got the form response. He called his Rep, Steny Hoyer (D-MD) and received a call from the head of the cemetery the next day.
You want results, call your Representative. Senators get 5 years before they need your vote and your money, they get lazy about acknowledging you, Reps get 1 year, they want you happy.

I'm hunting down a 7x13 Brady lemon scent block drum.
That sounds like a GREAT smelling drum. I mean scent is in the title.

It looks like CM's innocent comment is worming it's way into the industry!

Soup diet for me as well. I can't stand snare cords!!!
Isn't grosgrain ribbon like 15x thinner than snare cord? Logic tells me that thinner is better to get the wires on the head fully

What are the advantages of cord again?

Cord has 2 points of tension. Two holes. Straps spread that out and use the slot. Straps are easier to get in the butt strap plate because you can push them.

Getting the wires as close to the reso head as possible is the real reason I like nettles too.

What are the advantages of cord again?
Cords pull from the edges, a ribbon from the center. If the ribbon isnt perfect, the wires can twist or bend to one side or the other. If the ribbon isnt wide enough, this can be exacerbated. Cords wont do this.

Remember the rope ladder game at carnivals? It's a ribbon snare:

laddercl_2_420x320.jpg
If the game had this ladder instead, no one would ever lose because it is much more stable, just like snare wires with a cord:
20211004_084526.jpg

Cords pull from the edges, a ribbon from the center. If the ribbon isnt perfect, the wires can twist or bend to one side or the other. If the ribbon isnt wide enough, this can be exacerbated. Cords wont do this.

Remember the rope ladder game at carnivals? It's a ribbon snare:

View attachment 109009
If the game had this ladder instead, no one would ever lose because it is much more stable, just like snare wires with a cord:
View attachment 109011
I can't get on board with this. A strap pulls more even. It's in contact with more of the snare plate. Cords can be uneven too. Straps are waaaay thinner too. I'm not scaling my snare straps like the rope ladder in that carnival game.

I'm winning :)

I can't get on board with this. A strap pulls more even. It's in contact with more of the snare plate. Cords can be uneven too. Straps are waaaay thinner too. I'm winning :)
Cut your strap in half so it is skinnier. Now put it back on the snare and try to center your wires. It becomes harder. Cords dont do this.

Cut your cords in half and they wont reach the plates.

Cmon Bri you can bring up better points than that!

How about comparing without altering anything

How about comparing without altering anything
I just cant get on with a single pull point when 2 are available.

If the cords are attached to the outermost points of the plate on either side of the drum, and the throwoff and butt plate are centered, the wires will pull evenly. There is no guaranteed way to ensure the ribbon is exactly centered in the throwoff and the butt plate. If one of these are off, the wires will pull unevenly.

If your ribbons are centered, but the wires are not centered on the ribbons, the throwoff wont pull evenly. It will put more tension on one side than the other. We all know the slot is wider than the ribbon, so lateral movement is definitely available.

I have a lot of cool gear, a Dunnett Titanium, a full set of K Constantinoples, Black Beauties, a Noble & Cooley, a Gretsch USA Custom shell bank...

But this summer I bought this 1950-1951 Slingerland Radio King and 2012 Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze at the same time.

Slingerland Radio King and Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze snare drums.jpg

For some reason I'm now craving Grey Poupon...

I have a lot of cool gear, a Dunnett Titanium, a full set of K Constantinoples, Black Beauties, a Noble & Cooley, a Gretsch USA Custom shell bank...

But this summer I bought this 1950-1951 Slingerland Radio King and 2012 Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze at the same time.

View attachment 109029

For some reason I'm now craving Grey Poupon...
Meanwhile, I'm having a minor stroke seeing both those beautiful drums sitting on stone with nothing to protect the hoop.

I just cant get on with a single pull point when 2 are available.

If the cords are attached to the outermost points of the plate on either side of the drum, and the throwoff and butt plate are centered, the wires will pull evenly. There is no guaranteed way to ensure the ribbon is exactly centered in the throwoff and the butt plate. If one of these are off, the wires will pull unevenly.

If your ribbons are centered, but the wires are not centered on the ribbons, the throwoff wont pull evenly. It will put more tension on one side than the other. We all know the slot is wider than the ribbon, so lateral movement is definitely available.
You guys are stressing over minute details that will have a negligible difference in the sound, I bet you would not be able to tell from the same cord or ribbon when the wires are being pulled evenly or not. Most snares that I have had have a ribbon that cover over 3/4 of the wires maybe a single wire is not covered on each side (and that is because the plate holding the ribbon has that spacing which also guarantees that the ribbon is always centered. So, if the ribbon is always centered, it would be pretty hard to pull the wires unevenly including the two at both ends. Also if you are basically covering every single wire I believe it would be more accurate than cords simply because of the large surface it covers. but again, given the snare was well tuned, and you managed to produce an uneven tension on the wires (after having listened to the snare with even tension) I still believe that the sound difference to the naked ear would be negligible to the point of being almost impossible to discern. (Yes you could record each instance and look at the waves and actually see a difference, but you could also record with even wires twice and still see a difference). but I doubt you would be able to hear it (unless you go to extrenes to make sure that all the wires are waaay uneven in which case that would not be how you normally would set it up to begin with..

You guys are stressing over minute details that will have a negligible difference in the sound, I bet you would not be able to tell from the same cord or ribbon when the wires are being pulled evenly or not. Most snares that I have had have a ribbon that cover over 3/4 of the wires maybe a single wire is not covered on each side (and that is because the plate holding the ribbon has that spacing which also guarantees that the ribbon is always centered. So, if the ribbon is always centered, it would be pretty hard to pull the wires unevenly including the two at both ends. Also if you are basically covering every single wire I believe it would be more accurate than cords simply because of the large surface it covers. but again, given the snare was well tuned, and you managed to produce an uneven tension on the wires (after having listened to the snare with even tension) I still believe that the sound difference to the naked ear would be negligible to the point of being almost impossible to discern. (Yes you could record each instance and look at the waves and actually see a difference, but you could also record with even wires twice and still see a difference). but I doubt you would be able to hear it (unless you go to extrenes to make sure that all the wires are waaay uneven in which case that would not be how you normally would set it up to begin with..
It's only about satisfying that bug in my brain that tells me that cord keeps it even. I know that cord will not change its position ever. Ribbon can if its smaller than the slot and the wires are slack.

For sure I wont hear it. I will know after a while though when one side of my wires are slightly longer than the other, or one side has broken strands.

Back