Where is your first drumset

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
If you don't have it would you like to get it?. How would you try to track it down?. My mom purchased my first kit and I'd do anything to find it if it exists out of a landfill. I'm sitting here thinking what steps I'd take to do some lieutenant Coloumbo work.

My half sister has it. 1980 Slingy Spirit 1000. I havent been in contact with that side of my family in 28 years, but I saw a pic about 5 or so years ago.

Weird..not about the drumset but I haven't talked to my sister in 20 years.
I'm 14 years older than she. My dad was abusive and I bailed at 17. Never looked back. She has no idea who I am, nor does her younger sister.

I'm 14 years older than she. My dad was abusive and I bailed at 17. Never looked back. She has no idea who I am, nor does her younger sister.
Hey..my mother was terribly verbally difficult..my dad wasn't around to be abusive..im lucky. Sounds like you had some difficult times growing up. Our difference is is that you could maybe get your kit...should you want it. I'm going through the beginning stages of (possibly) locating mine via investigatory work. Funny how we share similar upbringings.

My first drumset was a hand-me-down from an older cousin, a MIJ stencil kit. Six years later, I got a new Gretsch kit for my birthday. That one's been in storage on the other side of the continent for just over 15 years now. The original MIJ was sold for ten bucks or so at a garage sale when my parents moved out of my childhood home. I hope it made its next owner happy.

If found would you consider using it on a gig for old times sake?....maybe you never gigged that kit?.

No.

As much fun as I had with it (I did one class presentation and two gigs as kid in my first band), and as it learned me grounding in music, that is a passed station.

Besides, it was a entry level (Rock N Road Mark II) model with deep sized and hanging toms, a steel snare and later on, expanded with two Basix toms and a Pearl rack.

5CF8E004-A3C9-4961-B34F-AE8F22986D51.jpeg

I did switched to a Maple Custom snare in that first band, after playing for 9 years on that steel one.

My first kit was a MIJ stencil kit (Gracy). I gave it to a guy who wanted to start drumming. I have no desire to have it back.

My silver CB700 kit is in the basement. I still use some of the cymbal stands on my current kit! My cb700 snare was converted to an electric snare with mesh head and piezo for my Roland setup and works great,

sitting in the band room right now. I use it in my country/rockabilly band and jazz band. My dads 55 Ludwig...1955Ludstop copy.JPG

1955Ludsfront copy.JPG

My first kit was a Rockwood by Hohner, no idea where it is today.

My first "real" kit was a PDP CX series kit. This was one of the early models, bought when I was in high school, 2003/2004. Those were AMAZING drums, all maple, built like a tank, and sounded identical to DW's. The hardware was hit or miss, but I'm still using a couple of the cymbal stands and the hi-hat stand that came with it to this day. The drums themselves have been donated to the band program at the middle school where I teach art. You can still find CX kits on Reverb and Guitar Center for $300-$500, and I'd love to pick up a set of them. I was never comfortable with the sizes, but they are absolutely killer sounding drums, and I'd love to have another set.

Pearl Forum and there are 100s of them on GC and Reverb used and I have zero desire to repeat that experience.

Pearl Forum and there are 100s of them on GC and Reverb used and I have zero desire to repeat that experience.

ah yes...what once was the Exports became the Forums...

No idea where it is. My brother gave it away while I was living in Australia. It was a Premier Olympic set, 12/16/20. I bought it around 1972 with paper route money. I thought it was so cool to have a drum set from England, right on the heals of the British invasion! My mom even sewed drum cases for me out of muslin cloth!

I wouldn't particularly care to have it back. It was definitely B-stock--discolored & cracked wrap. Some hardware issues. The bass drum only had 6 lugs, I never really liked that. But I enjoy seeing photos of those early 1970s Olympic kits online. And it had a metal snare that I liked a lot.

I still have my first drum, a Slingerland student snare from the 1960s. It has a lot more meaning for me, and I play still it frequently.

I still have my Tama Rockstar RS kit from the early 1990s. I gave it to a great friend of mine. He kept it for 10 years, and then he gave it back. I still have it. Sounds horrible.

Back