Went to a Christian music festival this weekend (drum content)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
What I found interesting is that out of the 4 big bands they had there, three of the drummers are playing WFL III kits. The headliner’s drummer played a vintage Ludwig 3-ply. The tuning on a lot of their toms almost sounded more like small bass drums as opposed to toms, really muffled out as opposed to them really singing. Maybe it was more the sound crew having gating them a lot or something, IDK.

Lots of good music nonetheless. 🙂

My band opens for a lot of the major Christian acts. I've noticed a trend in the Christian/worship kits/drumming lately:

Toms are carrying most of today's worship songs
Huge cymbals
Muffled, very low Toms
Deep, thuddy snares
Cymbal shields on literally every Christian drummers kit

I've followed the huge cymbals thing, but so much of today's worship music is getting so bland drum wise. I've tried to keep things interesting on my playing and setup, but I won't deny absolutely loving listening to the music and especially the drummers. There's some awesome musicians in this genre that get overlooked a lot.

Glad you enjoyed it!

What I found interesting is that out of the 4 big bands they had there, three of the drummers are playing WFL III kits. The headliner’s drummer played a vintage Ludwig 3-ply. The tuning on a lot of their toms almost sounded more like small bass drums as opposed to toms, really muffled out as opposed to them really singing. Maybe it was more the sound crew having gating them a lot or something, IDK.

Lots of good music nonetheless. 🙂
What bands were playing?

I didn't know Jeremy Camp was still going, I saw him live in 2006 when I was in middle school.
His wife passed away a few years ago, but he’s still at it. There was actually a movie about him. I’d like to see it.

Toms are carrying most of today's worship songs
Huge cymbals
Muffled, very low Toms
Deep, thuddy snares
Cymbal shields on literally every Christian drummers kit
This is spot on from my observations as well. Don’t forget the 30 seconds at the beginning that is only kick and then 30 seconds at the end with no percussion. (Jk… kind of)

I'e noticed this trend as well. Our church had some very nice normal sized N&Cs. They sounded great. Then, came a massive BD and 14, 16,18 toms tuned low, giant cymbals and the works. The cymbals were actually quite nice. Never figured out the brand, but those massive sizes tuned low were just too much. Zero definition between them and everything was a rumble. I much preferred the tonality of the older 22, 12, 14, 16 set than the new set up. Way too much mud!

Are bigger cymbals trending in all genres? It seems like it to me but I admittedly don’t know much outside of metal, rock, and worship.

Some bands like The Killers, John Mayers drummers, a few other rock bands are doing it. Christian worship for the most part seems to be the main ones at the moment.

I use 15" hats, 22" rides for crashes, and a 24" ride

His wife passed away a few years ago, but he’s still at it. There was actually a movie about him. I’d like to see it.

His first wife passed away way back in 2001 and they were married only a few months. As far as I know, his second wife is alive and well.

The movie, though it's about Jeremy Camp, is really more about his wife and her impact on him and others. It's called "I Still Believe." It just came out in 2020. I watched it a few months ago and I highly recommend it. What's cool about the movie is they got KJ Apa, a musician himself, to play Camp. KJ Apa got to actually sing and play guitar in the film, instead of faking it. This gives a more realistic feel to the movie.

It is one powerful movie. I recommend getting the DVD. The DVD has the "special features" that are very powerful too. You'll know what I mean when you watch them. It also stars Gary Sinise (aka LT. DAN!) and Shania Twain as Camp's parents. Make sure you have tissues nearby.

Are bigger cymbals trending in all genres? It seems like it to me but I admittedly don’t know much outside of metal, rock, and worship.
I think big cymbals have always been popular with professionals. They're expensive and potentially out of reach of beginners and weekend warriors - myself included for a very long time.

I find big cymbals more versatile than small ones. They're actually easier to control than one might think.

I think big cymbals have always been popular with professionals. They're expensive and potentially out of reach of beginners and weekend warriors - myself included for a very long time.
This makes sense. The price difference between a 16” and 19” crash is pretty significant. When I was younger and didn’t have much money I rocked 16 and 18. I’ve been slowly moving up over the years.

They are across genres, but in worship music, they actually fit in better. That big washy sound is perfect and far less intrusive than higher pitched heavier cymbals.

Is anyone from your band going the the Getty worship conference this month?

They are across genres, but in worship music, they actually fit in better. That big washy sound is perfect and far less intrusive than higher pitched heavier cymbals.

Yup, while in a weird visual way it doesn't make sense, I believe that bigger, thinner, darker cymbals work better for smaller stages. While they can look intimidating, their pitch is usually lower and they don't have to be smacked to get them to open up. They are quite buttery and wonderful to play, and they are much easier on your fellow musicians' ears on smaller stages as well.

Is anyone from your band going the the Getty worship conference this month?

I don't know. I've not been in my worship band in almost two years. At this point, I don't see myself going back anytime soon for various reasons.

Back