For those who are gigging/touring

DrumWhipper

For those who are playing, regardless if it is local or out on tour, how are you and your band handling everything with Covid?

We are playing a few local shows right now in preparation to hit the road early next month, and this has been a big discussion we are having.

We are all vaccinated. I’m a type one diabetic so I wear a mask, not always, but when I’m in crowds, stores, etc more especially.

One thing we have discussed is limiting contact with fans as much as possible. The guy I play for has won some awards as an independent artist, so some places want him to sign autographs, set up merchandise tables, etc.

While the merchandise table certainly helps bring more money, is that something we want to do right now? That’s the question. At the end of the day it’s about working to make money, but also working to keep ourselves safe.

What steps are you all taking as you go out and play?

For the handful of local gigs that are coming back, I'm playing it very safe and avoiding contact with the crowd as much as possible.

For touring, we haven't tested those waters yet. This year's dates were cancelled in early 2020, and we're hoping that 2022 will be safe for audiences - and us - to go out again. I think that aftershow meet & greets will be limited to essential guests only (and very few people really need to see us after the show.) Just keeping everyone away from the artist isn't good enough - we travel in small quarters and can easily spread toxins amongst us, so everyone will need to be super diligent all day long as well.

Not sure if there'll be proof of vaccination required by venues, but that's only one step in the process of avoiding contamination. The close contact with strangers of unknown covid status needs to be eliminated.

And while merch is a significant income stream, it means putting our merch person face-to-face with a few thousand strangers each night, and then that person gets on the bus with the rest of the crew in close quarters.

Yeah, a few things to think about before just packing up and traveling around.

Two questions: Any dates in the Southeast in the near future, and if so, would I be allowed a little VIP access to the band to keep the hopes alive (I've been a DW member since 2008)?

For the handful of local gigs that are coming back, I'm playing it very safe and avoiding contact with the crowd as much as possible.

For touring, we haven't tested those waters yet. This year's dates were cancelled in early 2020, and we're hoping that 2022 will be safe for audiences - and us - to go out again. I think that aftershow meet & greets will be limited to essential guests only (and very few people really need to see us after the show.) Just keeping everyone away from the artist isn't good enough - we travel in small quarters and can easily spread toxins amongst us, so everyone will need to be super diligent all day long as well.

Not sure if there'll be proof of vaccination required by venues, but that's only one step in the process of avoiding contamination. The close contact with strangers of unknown covid status needs to be eliminated.

And while merch is a significant income stream, it means putting our merch person face-to-face with a few thousand strangers each night, and then that person gets on the bus with the rest of the crew in close quarters.

Yeah, a few things to think about before just packing up and traveling around.
Two questions: Any dates in the Southeast in the near future, and if so, would I be allowed a little VIP access to the band to keep the hopes alive (I've been a DW member since 2008)?

It's too early to know what dates are in the works for next year, and I'll have to see what our protocols will be (in consideration of keeping the artist and ourselves healthy.) But my best guess is that direct contact with anyone outside of our 'pod' will be very limited for the foreseeable future. :(

We will be in Dothan, Alabama in September. Three nights, Thurs-Sat.

We only play outside gigs at this time. Luckily there are numerous places locally. 2 of us are vaccinated but the conspiracy theorists isn’t 😵🤪

I play a ton of gigs outside. The ones I play inside, I do my best to not touch people (shake hands, etc.). During breaks, I grab some water or a soda and go outside until it's time to play again.

I play a ton of gigs outside. The ones I play inside, I do my best to not touch people (shake hands, etc.). During breaks, I grab some water or a soda and go outside until it's time to play again.
Georgia has joined the other southern non vaxer states for exploding cases so we’re forgoing the inside gigs presently. If we were somewhere else it would be a case by case situation

Georgia has joined the other southern non vaxer states for exploding cases so we’re forgoing the inside gigs presently.

I think you have to exercise caution regardless of the state. I have some nicely-distanced gigs coming up, but my first in close quarters with the crowd is later in September, and I'll be masking behind the kit for sure and avoiding the crowd.

Played 4 gigs now. Touring (abroad) won't happen for a good while yet. We played one gig with Discharge in Stoke & about 40 people went down with Covid the following week. The same happened at Holidays in the Sun in Blackpool. :( We stayed either in our van or backstage all night & never ventured out front. We have all since tested negative.

got my first gig back on the 29th aug, so waiting to see how things play out, im double vaxxed and so are all the rest of my band, but we're still gonna play it safe and keep our distance. luckily we have a designated fenced-off area to play in so we can avoid most contact.

if all else fails, i'll break out my gas mask and play in that xD

We stayed either in our van or backstage all night & never ventured out front. We have all since tested negative.
Good to hear, gotta be smart and stay healthy!

We only play outside gigs at this time. Luckily there are numerous places locally. 2 of us are vaccinated but the conspiracy theorists isn’t 😵🤪

same here...in the past 2 years, I think I have played inside only once or twice. Lots of hot rod shows, bike shows and winery gigs. 2 weddings....everything outside

Same old same old here. I'm about 3 gigs in. Did a really nice chilled outdoor wedding on the banks of the River Avon last Saturday. I'd do that every week as long as the weather holds!

Nice to have a bit of normality back and I think people are enjoying it a lot more.

We have taken pretty much no precautions as far as masks and social distancing. Did some midwest dates and a week at Sturgis with no masks or social distancing and everything went fine. We all did get the J&J vaccination because it was required for us to play a couple of shows in Jordan. We all tested negative right before we went to Jordan, and we all tested negative right before leaving Jordan also. (Which was 2 days ago)
Locally we don't do masks or social distancing either.

Unmasked.

3 of the members had COVID last year. (from other sources not via the band).

I basically only interact with the band and no one else.

Last edited:
Back