Upcoming Netflix Documentary on Drummers

Hewitt2

“ ‘Count me in’ comes out August 24. The preview features a frenetic Beatles performance and Abe Laboriel jr. raving about Ringo. Looked good! Should hopefully be 81 minutes of fun.

Really looking forward to this one - anyone else?

Attachments

• B5C2E870-8A1C-4CC4-B4A8-65968721BEA7.jpeg
    B5C2E870-8A1C-4CC4-B4A8-65968721BEA7.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 51
I just hope it's not another one of those shows that paints all drummers as Dave Grohl/Keith Moon types. It's not that I have anything against those people or musicians, not at all, but that has always seemed to me like laziness on the part of the producers. Run with the whole crazy rock-star thing, drummers as animals, Ginger Baker was the best of all time... it just gets old.

I hope it covers all areas of drumming and a wide variety of drummers, beyond the well-known mainstream genres and names.

I'll watch it, hopefully it'll be better than Stand Up For Drumming, the show they did featuring Fred Armisen, I had to turn that one of it was so painfully unfunny.
For UK viewers with access to Sky, and it may be available internationally, I can recommend the 4 part series The Art Of Drumming hosted by Steve White.

I just hope it's not another one of those shows that paints all drummers as Dave Grohl/Keith Moon types. It's not that I have anything against those people or musicians, not at all, but that has always seemed to me like laziness on the part of the producers. Run with the whole crazy rock-star thing, drummers as animals, Ginger Baker was the best of all time... it just gets old.

I hope it covers all areas of drumming and a wide variety of drummers, beyond the well-known mainstream genres and names.
Hopefully it won’t be as concocted as Whiplash.

Its always odd given that so many of our drumming treasures come off more like scientists than pugilists(Peart, Bruford, Phillips, Colaiuta, Weckl, Harrison, Smith, etc...)

I'll always remember my ex-wife's comment when she was watching a Simon Phillips Educational Video when we were at a drum shop..."He doesn't talk like I expected him to."

Last edited:
Netflix should have an episode on the Drummerworld forum because it’s a nexus of pros to beginners.
Episode 1: Best Set for $700. Runtime: 12 years. PG-13.

The year is 2009. A 14 year old asks for recommendations regarding the best semi-pro level kit with hardware for under $700. 12 years of debate ensue. Investigators track down the kid who disappeared after the initial post. Did he buy a First Act and one set of $600 hihats? Did he only buy a practice pad and spend the next 10 years mastering sticking techniques? Did he get a loan to buy the newest double pedals only to realize he won’t be able to afford a bass drum while making payments on his pedals over the next 10 years?

Emotions get in the way of clear thinking. Whomever was your favorite during your teens is the GOAT. I'm jaundiced when it comes to the Ringo-Bonham-Keith Moon worship. The show, I'm sure, will be 100 percent rock orientated. When a show is touted about "Drummers," it usually tallies the same drum stars. By the way, punch up YouTube and watch Art Blakey kick Ginger Baker's ass in the "drum battle." Ginger's a fine drummer. But he was no Art Blakey, Max Roach, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Philly Joe Jones, etc.

Episode 1: Best Set for $700. Runtime: 12 years. PG-13.

The year is 2009. A 14 year old asks for recommendations regarding the best semi-pro level kit with hardware for under $700. 12 years of debate ensue. Investigators track down the kid who disappeared after the initial post. Did he buy a First Act and one set of $600 hihats? Did he only buy a practice pad and spend the next 10 years mastering sticking techniques? Did he get a loan to buy the newest double pedals only to realize he won’t be able to afford a bass drum while making payments on his pedals over the next 10 years?

Mystery solved - he got a Stage Custom set. :ROFLMAO:

“ ‘Count me in’ comes out August 24. The preview features a frenetic Beatles performance and Abe Laboriel jr. raving about Ringo. Looked good! Should hopefully be 81 minutes of fun.

Really looking forward to this one - anyone else?
Thanks great info

Back