Age old question: How to prevent the kick drum/hi hat from sliding away

Hopefully on a slick floor the three parts wouldn't start gradually creeping forward as a single unit...

Although a big oriental-looking rug would be idea, I have no taste for yet another bulky item to haul around. The solution I found that works great is indoor-outdoor carpeting.

I bought a roll at Lowes for 20 bucks. I cut it to the exact footprint I wanted and was able to cut two. It is really lightweight (each rug is under a pound) and folds up and goes into my hardware bag. In hindsight, I should've cut the pieces to also go under my throne legs, as by not doing that, I can sometimes get some hi hat scooting if I don't have at least one leg holding onto the rug.

Although a big oriental-looking rug would be idea, I have no taste for yet another bulky item to haul around. The solution I found that works great is indoor-outdoor carpeting.

I bought a roll at Lowes for 20 bucks. I cut it to the exact footprint I wanted and was able to cut two. It is really lightweight (each rug is under a pound) and folds up and goes into my hardware bag. In hindsight, I should've cut the pieces to also go under my throne legs, as by not doing that, I can sometimes get some hi hat scooting if I don't have at least one leg holding onto the rug.
This. Been using indoor/outdoor carpet since 1988. Lowe's and Home Depot, and local carpet stores have remnants available all the time. And cheaply.

I started using a Kaces Drum Rug now that I only use one bassdrum, before that it was mostly used on an e-kit I had earlier. It's pretty lightweight (maybe a bit too thin for some, but it holds everything in place), easily foldable, and with a built-in bass drum stopper. Doesn't take up much space at all in the car, so I bring it with me to every gig from now on.
71CEJkgZX5L._AC_SL1033_.jpg

Many drum rugs are not cloth rugs but rubber. Both of mine are. They don't get nasty, and when they get dirty, they can be hosed down.

My rug is from Home Depot. It's indoor/outdoor, non backed carpeting. I paid less than $25 for it. I had to trim it, it was too big.

The piece I use is about 6x6, it weighs about a pound, and it travels inside my bass drum case. So it's easy and I can't forget it. The throne and my weight keep the carpet put. I don't need no stinking backing.

Works on tile, the acid test.

Last edited:
A drum rug is the most obvious solution.
If you're dead set against carrying one then look at the rubber waffley non slip material you can buy that fits under rugs in the house to provide a non slip medium between rugs and wood flooring. I bought some for a couple of pounds and cut it into small squares to fit under the individual legs/spurs/footboards of my kit. I rarely use it because it's more fiddly and time consuming than throwing a rug down but if you're dead set against using one then give it a try.

A product/idea to check out is a set of sticky rubber discs to go under each of the feet of your kit. I bought a set from a brand called Drum Brakes, but I don’t know if they’re still available. It’s basically the same as drum dots but larger diameter and maybe tougher. I found they were amazing on a slippery smooth surface, but not helpful on concrete or other textured or dirty surfaces.

years ago someone said it not your bass drum sliding its your pedal. Its true, one you make the pedal stationary, nothing will move. I use a padded on stage drumfire mat. the pedal kind of sinks in and never moves. the mat folds up small and goes in my hardware bag and easily goes back to flat with no curved up edges.

I’ve been using KBrakes for several years now. I never have an issue.

I started using a Kaces Drum Rug now that I only use one bassdrum, before that it was mostly used on an e-kit I had earlier. It's pretty lightweight (maybe a bit too thin for some, but it holds everything in place), easily foldable, and with a built-in bass drum stopper. Doesn't take up much space at all in the car, so I bring it with me to every gig from now on.
View attachment 106858

I've been using one of these for over 15 years. I use it even if there is carpet already on the stage/riser.

A carpet with a rubber back is great, but any carpet will do. Poke the spur points out of the pedal, hat, and spurs. If your things move with that stuff in place, you might want to rethink your technique there, muscles!
Added plus to a carpet: you can make little tape spots on it to get everythingon the exact spot in no time. A real time saver.

Bring a drum rug. BUT, if you forget yours, go grab one from the front door of the venue. There's almost always one there. Yup, it'll be gross, but you won't care during the gig. After the gig, take it out side and bang it out really good (clean it for the venue as a "thank you") and put it back. When you take off your nasty shirt at the end of the day, you'll be reminded to go get a drum rug for yourself.

I've used those KBrakes, and they work well on carpet (as do normal spurs). They don't work well with really light kick drums, and they don't work well on rubber surfaces (like on an actual riser), and I don't know about hardwoods.

Back