The best bass drum sound!

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
Over all the years has any bass drum left its mark on you?. Not in a recording...LIVE wether it be concert..jam session..club...drumshop. I remember years..MANY years ago listening to a friend's 24" ride cymbal and flipping over it. I leave the house and go on with my life only to think why haven't I ever owned one. In the course of my life I can still remember bass drums that turned my head. A 16x22 gretsch natural finish kit in a local club as well as a 14x20 blue gretsch drum blue sparkle again in a club yet I never ever investigated gretsch...why?. Is it odd that both drums were gretsch?. Both USA custom kits. Any of you crazy about a bass drum that you still think about and oddly never owned?. Maybe you were smart and acted upon your inspiration. Where was the kit at and what kind of BD was it?.

My first kit was a Slingerland Spirit 1000. It was the first year model, 1980 I think. The kick on that thing was fantastic. That was the kit I learned to tune with, and when it all came together the thing was awesome.

I remember one day I was playing and just stopped. The kick sounded so amazing that particular day I just started stomping it, and waited while I listened to the sound bounce all over the room (basement bedroom). It was huge.

Loved the bass drum sound Carl Palmer had on Tarkus. 24" with Black Dot batter?
Jack DeJohnette with two basses (different pitches) on Picture 2
Billy Cobham on Shabazz (light chorus effect?)

Not in a recording - the OP said.

I love my N&C 18 x 22's. Always had amazing results with vintage Ludwig (22 or 24).
Hard to pick out live bass drum sounds as the sound is hugely impacted by the room and any amplification. Most bass drums sound ginormous (in a good way) live.

I love my kicks but in terms of a drum leaving its mark I remember playing a support slot for an indie band I was helping out. The headline drummer kindly let me use his kit (the usual bring your own snare, cymbals, and pedals arrangement). I’ve always played 22” or 24” kicks so when I saw the little 20” kick I was a bit concerned…little beggar felt and sounded AMAZING! Blew me away, I had no idea a smaller kick could sound so good…props to the lad who let me play it and the sound guy! :)

Jack DeJohnette ECM recordings with 2 basses

Untitled
Pictures

As a sideman...

Gateway-Gateway 2
Kenny Wheeler-Deer Wan
Bill Connors-Of Mist And Melting
George Gruntz-Percussion Profiles

Jack DeJohnette ECM recordings with 2 basses

Untitled
Pictures

As a sideman...

Gateway-Gateway 2
Kenny Wheeler-Deer Wan
Bill Connors-Of Mist And Melting
George Gruntz-Percussion Profiles
Got any pictures or other provenance? I've never seen Jack play two bass drums. In a past Drummerworld thread it was mentioned he played two bass drums on Ralph Towner's Batik.
Seems strange to list so many albums but there are no pictures I've ever seen.

Any of you crazy about a bass drum that you still think about and oddly never owned?
The only bass drum that made me look twice was at my 8th grade dance and Terry McBride (RIP) grabbed my hand and pulled me to the dance floor during a Stones tune. I was very distracted by the bass drum ‘cuz it sounded soooo good. Then a slow dance came up, Terry pulled up to me and rested her head on my chest and we danced until shut down. Maybe it wasn’t the bass drum. Maybe it was my heart.

I have had a few kits with really great bass drums .The Gretsch kits Inhave owned for the most part have had really good bass drums . One in particular was a 1971 stop sign badge WMP bass drum . I got a lot of people commenting favourably on it .

My two current gig kits both have 20 x 14 bass drums and they are both excellent . They are :
Sonor Vintage
Noble and Cooley CD Maples .
The Sonor is warmer and the N&C has better attack and definition . Both are excellent bass drums .

Got any pictures or other provenance? I've never seen Jack play two bass drums. In a past Drummerworld thread it was mentioned he played two bass drums on Ralph Towner's Batik.
Not strange at all. Just sharing recordings. The back cover of Percussion Profiles has a picture with him behind his double bass set.

There was a Sonor ad with that kit I think. If I remember correctly a double bass Rosewood Phonic with the reso heads taken off.

I'm kinda blown away by the sound of the Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple with a layer of hard wenge in the center.
I don't know how they got it like this, but man this bass drum has so much much full bottom and clarity compared to the previous Yamaha maple absolute bass drum I had. That drum was really nice too, but this is awesome.

Currently using a clear PS3 batter and stock white smooth reso front, with a little felt mufffling (big band style) though I may try a coated PS3 batter next to warm up the tone. Size is 24x14"

Last edited:
Back