Do most drummers hate metal ? as much as normal popheads? ( extreme metal)

I thought I was going to stay out of this thread entirely but I'm going to pile on to your quote as well. Sorry.

There is a whole subgenre, called symphonic metal, heavily inspired by classical music. The band Symphony X does it best, IMO. No growling vocals (he can actually sing), incredible guitars/synth, and one of my favorite drummers, Jason Rullo.
Here's a short little tune based on the epic poem by Homer:

and there is also a lot of great "symphonic" metal with growling and clean vocals mixed...Ne Obliviscarius, Opeth, just to name 2 off the top of my head

and t his also makes me alwyas got back to this question:

why does music have to be jazz or classically influenced to be considered legit? There is an awful lot of absolute crap jazz and classical out there...I always feel like that is the viewpoint/answer from people who really don't know what they are talking about. They are just repeating a viewpoint that is popular/common in the mainstream

it is like me saying that all American Football players are just big dumb idiots

I listened to Blackwater Park for the first time about a month ago. Holy Hell, what an album. I'm frankly stunned that I didn't earlier as metal was very much my bag back then and I had a few mates that liked Opeth.

There is so much depth to metal it's silly. Anywhere from the early blues-inspired Sabbath stuff (of which 'Master of Reality' is the real King) right up to Gojira and modern Djent.

Sol Niger Within is still one of the most powerful things I've ever heard and if you're into drumming I highly, highly suggest you check it out. Even the shortened suite version is astonishing.

why does music have to be jazz or classically influenced to be considered legit? There is an awful lot of absolute crap jazz and classical out there...I always feel like that is the viewpoint/answer from people who really don't know what they are talking about. They are just repeating a viewpoint that is popular/common in the mainstream
Good question but I think missing the point specifically here, the answers and suggestions were to someone who said they don't like metal but do like jazz and classical. The responce being to show the overlap of the genres.

But you are right people do have these attitudes.
I think in part because theyre considered more cultured and daunting, so to even people who know little about music, they can appreciate its beyond their comprehension from a casual listening perspective.
They're also the dominant two genres (beyond contemporary styles). People could compare some eurotechno to some gamelan music, but most people don't know what that is, or at least are less casually familiar, meaning when talking about contemporary styles in comparison to others, they are the main two to go for.

The next problem is people like identifying and categorising things.
So if a punk band puts in a shuffle, everyone proudly says "I see where they got that influence, its jazz," whereas in fact, the band might have just been making a really stoned mistake at rehearsal and then thought it sounded good!

Good question but I think missing the point specifically here, the answers and suggestions were to someone who said they don't like metal but do like jazz and classical. The responce being to show the overlap of the genres.

I think I had the mix of many of the different posts going on in my mind as I wrote this, as i have been following it from the start, and it has definitely morphed!!

But you are right people do have these attitudes.
I think in part because theyre considered more cultured and daunting, so to even people who know little about music, they can appreciate its beyond their comprehension from a casual listening perspective.
They're also the dominant two genres (beyond contemporary styles). People could compare some eurotechno to some gamelan music, but most people don't know what that is, or at least are less casually familiar, meaning when talking about contemporary styles in comparison to others, they are the main two to go for.

The next problem is people like identifying and categorising things.
So if a punk band puts in a shuffle, everyone proudly says "I see where they got that influence, its jazz," whereas in fact, the band might have just been making a really stoned mistake at rehearsal and then thought it sounded good!

yeah, labeling things can become subjective, and guessing where influences came from can also be a "dart game" sometimes, but it is also pretty obvious in other situations.

I guess my bigger beef in all of this is when people (meaning in the world, not this forum specifically) who know nothing about the subject, chime in on it like they have some authority. Again, I liken it to me commenting on basketball - which I really know nothing about. I never join a conversation, or make opinions about bball because I know I shouldn't.

Even with music - which is my profession - I don't know anything about gamelan, so I will not make any commentary on it, even though I do have great knowledge about otehr areas of music

I loved finding the fastest or most heavy of metals when I was younger. Then learning that those great bands were influenced by older great bands and different genres helped me learn there is more out there than metal.

Metal was the gateway drug for me to get into prog, then jazz, and so on.

I listen to older metal here and there but really nothing new except maybe gorjira. When I'm cleaning the house or trying to do physical work it helps be more productive, but after a while its exhausting to my ears. Maybe thats the old age kicking in.

When I played with a few Jazzers back in the day, they appreciated my technical prowess and compared metal drumming to just loud jazz.

My $0.02.

I loved finding the fastest or most heavy of metals when I was younger. Then learning that those great bands were influenced by older great bands and different genres helped me learn there is more out there than metal.

Metal was the gateway drug for me to get into prog, then jazz, and so on

I listen to older metal here and there but really nothing new except maybe gorjira. When I'm cleaning the house or trying to do physical work it helps be more productive, but after a while its exhausting to my ears. Maybe thats the old age kicking in.

When I played with a few Jazzers back in the day, they appreciated my technical prowess and compared metal drumming to just loud jazz.

My $0.02.

same here!!

metal taught me that music could, and should be something more than just "background" music...

I thought I was going to stay out of this thread entirely but I'm going to pile on to your quote as well. Sorry.

There is a whole subgenre, called symphonic metal, heavily inspired by classical music. The band Symphony X does it best, IMO. No growling vocals (he can actually sing), incredible guitars/synth, and one of my favorite drummers, Jason Rullo.
Here's a short little tune based on the epic poem by Homer:
Love this album. I remember seeing them support Dream Theater in 2007 and blowing them off stage.

I played Warwick Castle and cued the song for the journey so I arrived at the champion of Ithaca bit.

for some reason , tech death like obscura taught me how amazing bass is on its own.

yep...and I also play bass (in a crossover thrash band) as well as drums, so there can never be enough focus on what the bass is doing!!

The Sturgeon Principle posits that 90% of everything is crap. You have to wade through 90% of the books on Amazon to find the good ones, 90% of horror movies are terrible and you don't have to bother with 90% of people.

Yes, there's a lot of terrible metal, but for those willing to sort through the worst of it, the Top 10% is awesome ... Some of these bands have been mentioned: Gojira, In Flames, the first four Metallica records, Kvelertak, Judas Priest, Pallbearer ... Don't be intimidated by the 90%. Educate yourself.

The Sturgeon Principle posits that 90% of everything is crap. You have to wade through 90% of the books on Amazon to find the good ones, 90% of horror movies are terrible and you don't have to bother with 90% of people.

Yes, there's a lot of terrible metal, but for those willing to sort through the worst of it, the Top 10% is awesome ... Some of these bands have been mentioned: Gojira, In Flames, the first four Metallica records, Kvelertak, Judas Priest, Pallbearer ... Don't be intimidated by the 90%. Educate yourself.

and the 10% is usually NOT what is popular, seen on media advertisements, or heard in public situations....at least for me

well i woudnt say 10 percent. It rather depends on the persons choice. From what you listed u seem to be into heavy metal. Other people like me or another random person might love brutal death metal and any metal which has a form of screaming vocals in it. Its purely dependent on the basis that the person connects with the music. But i do agree with you , there are some exceptionally talented artists or bands to look out for!

I suggest you listen to 90% of toddlers throwing temper tantrums to find the 10% you like. ;)

I suggest you listen to 90% of toddlers throwing temper tantrums to find the 10% you like. ;)
You can bet I'm going to find a few who execute it so perfectly that it would be impossible to not be impressed

You can bet I'm going to find a few who execute it so perfectly that it would be impossible to not be impressed
Consider it a Heavy Metal talent search.

Consider it a Heavy Metal talent search.
If you're suggesting the talent in metal is sparse or lacking, that wouldn't even warrant a response. My problem with metal though, as a fan, is that over the last few years, "extreme metal" has become the music version of extreme sports.
I hear fans talk about how heavy and "brutal" some band is, and to me it's not that at all. It's just really fast. In fact, all the "heavy" and "brutal" is lost because they're playing so fast that the music sounds thin and weightless, like a bumble bee rather than a freight train.

Back