Summer of Soul trailer

Yes, looks great, some nice vintage drum sets in it too.
Have not seen the entire movie, but one critic points out many of the performances are interupted by chatter.

Look at how well behaved the crowd is. If that was today it would look like chaos.

I was watching The Wrecking Crew with my daughter this weekend. Everyone one is like "We're playing Rock-n-Roll, but what are we supposed to do?" then awkward dancing and movements commence.

Thanks for posting this, i hadn't heard of it. Grabbing a copy now.. Always up for some live Sly :)

Well, I was planning on seeing this movie. But someone here just mentioned that they may be showing only parts of the song performances and talking during the performance. I’m sure they might do this to keep most of the non-musician audience from getting bored. This is making me skeptical about the movie. I want to see the whole performance. Just watch the bands play, if you know what I mean. As in just show me the whole concert!

I hope someone watches the movie and gives us a review on it here on this forum, before I see it.

Well, I was planning on seeing this movie. But someone here just mentioned that they may be showing only parts of the song performances and talking during the performance. I’m sure they might do this to keep most of the non-musician audience from getting bored. This is making me skeptical about the movie. I want to see the whole performance. Just watch the bands play, if you know what I mean. As in just show me the whole concert!

I hope someone watches the movie and gives us a review on it here on this forum, before I see it.

Gonna flip through it in a few mins, will let you know.. cause honestly i would rather have it be like the woodstock movie... we already all know the political crap.. just want the music:)

P.S. finishing the second episode of Schmigadoon right now.... may be my new favorite show...

K.. honestly it's infuriating.... it is mostly interviews with tiny bits of music... at one point Gladys knight starts doing heard it through the grape vine.. it makes it bout 30 seconds with the pips being piptastic... then cuts to interviews.. the whole thing is like that.. wasn't worth downloading for free let alone paying for. (If you know anything of the history of our country at least... cause i would rather have the music than another history lesson i already know)

P.S. what sucks is the footage is full on pro shot and looks great... i hope they just release that one day.

Ugh.. so near the end.. Nina Simone comes on... dunno if there are any Nina fans here.. but man.... and... cut off for interviews.... ok.. i'm done... it could have been soo good :(

K.. honestly it's infuriating.... it is mostly interviews with tiny bits of music... at one point Gladys knight starts doing heard it through the grape vine.. it makes it bout 30 seconds with the pips being piptastic... then cuts to interviews.. the whole thing is like that.. wasn't worth downloading for free let alone paying for. (If you know anything of the history of our country at least... cause i would rather have the music than another history lesson i already know)

P.S. what sucks is the footage is full on pro shot and looks great... i hope they just release that one day.
Yeah, from the trailer it looks like the producers want to join the current politico/societal squawk box bandwagon. That music at that time was so joyful, too. It’d be a shame if they don’t share that part of the footage someday.

It appears that the full 50 hours of footage of the actual festival is wrapped up in legal nonsense. That is most likely the reason for the minor snippets in the documentary. Perhaps if someone can acquire the rights for the original film from the lawyers, you might get to see the performances uninterrupted.

So, I watched the documentary. If you're thinking it's about only the music, you'll be disappointed. This movie is about what this particular festival meant culturally. How it touched lives, it's importance to the community as a whole. About its importance to the era and how it was mostly forgotten, even by some who attended.
Seeing 19 yr old Stevie Wonder absolutely crush it on the drums in the intro is worth at least 20 minutes of your time.
I think Questlove did a fantastic job telling this story. Especially for a first time director.

I am in awe of what black artists have given to us all. Can you imagine life without that?. Every now and then I give thanks to the Lord above for what I've listened to over the decades. I'm moved more than I could tell you..its in my heart and will always remain there.

Thank you for saving me 2 hours.

Ugh.. so near the end.. Nina Simone comes on... dunno if there are any Nina fans here.. but man.... and... cut off for interviews.... ok.. i'm done... it could have been soo good :(
They showed her doing all of backlash blues, all of young, black, & talented. They showed 90% of Gladys Knight's performance of Heard it through the grapevine. Not sure if you got some edited version or something.
It is after all a documentary, not a music video. Seeing the reactions of Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis watching themselves perform was incredible. The interviews are a huge part of the experience.
I guess good story telling isn't for everyone. It was culturally significant event that never saw the light of day. It's not a history lesson or bandwagon jumping etc, it's about what this festival meant to the artists as well as the attendees and the era is important to the context to the story. Guess that still makes people uncomfortable, even 50 years later. 🤷‍♂️

I guess good story telling isn't for everyone.

It is for everyone if it's done well.. they could have easily done it like the woodstock movie and it would have been amazing.. And yeah, they did show all of nina doing some songs.. which half way through put people talking over, they could have kept that stuff for between songs is all.

P.S. we just disagree and that's ok :)

I liked it because there's so much great footage that I never saw before. I didn't even know these concerts took place. I thought it was a great time capsule movie. Just seeing the people in 1969 was cool. The interviews I had no problems with. It held my attention until the end.

Watching David Ruffin do his falsetto was worth the price of admission for me.

It's free on Hulu.

Back