Light stick lover - can't win

Frank

Gold Member
I have played light sticks for many years. I am a Stickitis person as far as experimenting, but I seem to always return to where I started.

My goto for many years was Regal Tip Jazz Nylons. 16", .520 diameter. But, they are dying or dead, so I tried to find the closest alternative.
I actually succeeded after a long search. Promark Jazz Nylons. Those are good and comfortable for me.

My local dealer just emailed me and said Promark discontinued the stick, so I am back to square 1.

Anyone know of a light 16", .520ish diameter stick with a nylon tip?

The VF Steve Gadd stick comes in a nylon tip version and the dimensions are as follows: L = 15 3/4" | Dia. = .550"

The HD4 is even closer at L = 15 7/8" | Dia. = .530", however, it only comes in wood tip.

I have played light sticks for many years. I am a Stickitis person as far as experimenting, but I seem to always return to where I started.

My goto for many years was Regal Tip Jazz Nylons. 16", .520 diameter. But, they are dying or dead, so I tried to find the closest alternative.
I actually succeeded after a long search. Promark Jazz Nylons. Those are good and comfortable for me.

My local dealer just emailed me and said Promark discontinued the stick, so I am back to square 1.

Anyone know of a light 16", .520ish diameter stick with a nylon tip?

My experience when a local dealer says something is discontinued, it doesn't always mean the company no longer offers the item. More than once, it meant that the local store, or chain they belong to, are no longer stocking it. You may still be able to get the stick from other sources.

I play Vater sticks. The closest they have to those sticks is the Swing model; 16", .535 diameter and available in wood or nylon tip.

If you can live without the nylon tips, I really like the Vater BeBop 525 sticks, which are 0.525” diameter and 16” long.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Still no matches, but thank you all.

Look no further than Frank Kincel's LA Backbeats.
A one man operation with the highest quality standards.
He has made great .505 diameters for me.
.520 is a piece of cake for him.
He can make sticks that you can't make with modern machines.
Also you can consider Bopworks.
They make great jazz sticks as well, especially the birdland model.

None of these sticks has a nylon tip, but I do have a a secret to share:
transparent finger nail hardener from your local drugstore!
Makes wood tips almost sound like nylon and the tips last forever that way.

Look no further than Frank Kincel's LA Backbeats.
A one man operation with the highest quality standards.
He has made great .505 diameters for me.
.520 is a piece of cake for him.
He can make sticks that you can't make with modern machines.
Also you can consider Bopworks.
They make great jazz sticks as well, especially the birdland model.

None of these sticks has a nylon tip, but I do have a a secret to share:
transparent finger nail hardener from your local drugstore!
Makes wood tips almost sound like nylon and the tips last forever that way.

Thank you. I will definitely be checking those out. I used to use a custom stick company until they broke my heart and went out of business.
Will see if LA Backbeats does nylon and then also check out Bopworks.

I used to play Regal Tip Jazz. The closest I’ve found is the Vater Manhattan 7AN.
A fraction thicker, but still has the long tapered neck which rebounds nicely on ride cymbals.

I've been using Vic Firth AJ5. I think they're close to the same diameter as 7A but much longer I use them for quiet gigs and quiet rehearsals.

Last edited:
Just need to chime in, and give a big salute to Frank at LA Backbeat. Ordered some 5A sticks in standard, and long tapered models with wood tip. Superb lathe work and good quality wood. The finish is not thick like Regal, but has certainly worked for my dry hands. Terrific all around feel. I look forward to ordering more. Give Frank a shot at earning your business next time you need drumsticks.

The Pro-Mark forward 7A nylon are .512" thick and 15 3/8" long, though since you like light sticks rather than thin sticks have you tried maple sticks in more common sizes?

Pro-mark discontinued a model I was trying to migrate to, so they are now on my don't buy list. :)

Last edited:
These are not your exact dimensions but in the same ballpark plus they are readily available pretty much everywhere and all of these are available in nylon tips. I have a lot of personal experience with all of these (I also prefer thinner lighter sticks) so let me know if you have any questions.

Vater manhattan 7a
.540" grip, 16" length
(Or the Sound Percussion 7a.. same stick but much cheaper, these are my go-to)

Vater Swing
.535" grip, 16" length

Vater 8D jazz
.540" grip, 16" length

Zildjian 7a
.520" grip, 15.5" length

Vic Firth 7a
.540" grip, 15.5" length

These are not your exact dimensions but in the same ballpark plus they are readily available pretty much everywhere and all of these are available in nylon tips. I have a lot of personal experience with all of these (I also prefer thinner lighter sticks) so let me know if you have any questions.

Vater manhattan 7a
.540" grip, 16" length
(Or the Sound Percussion 7a.. same stick but much cheaper, these are my go-to)

Vater Swing
.535" grip, 16" length

Vater 8D jazz
.540" grip, 16" length

Zildjian 7a
.520" grip, 15.5" length

Vic Firth 7a
.540" grip, 15.5" length

That's extremely helpful. Thank you very much.

I have tried Zildjian Super 7A and liked them very much but bailed because of the lack of nylon. The regular 7As in nylon are a possibility.

I ordered a test pair of Zildjian 7A nylon anti-vibes. Thanks.

That's extremely helpful. Thank you very much.

I have tried Zildjian Super 7A and liked them very much but bailed because of the lack of nylon. The regular 7As in nylon are a possibility.

I've been back and forth on all of the above sticks for probably 15 years now and keep finding myself preferring the vater manhattan 7a the most... Which is why I buy the Sound Percussion 7a. It's the exact same dimensions and feels exactly the same but they run about 50-60% less then the vaters. I use wood tip myself and really like the ball/barrel tips profile BUT the above suggestions all have nylon as an option.

Just a heads up: I've not tried those anitvibe sticks but they have a poor reputation for the foam insert falling out. If you like the overall profile but don't like the foam insert try the regular zil 7a. If you want to try a Manhattan 7a just go to your local GC and grab a pair of the SP 7a for like $4.

Early on I used huge tree trunks of sticks. One day a buddy played my drums and hated my sticks, he gave me a pair of his Manhattan 7a

Back