Gavin Harrison here!

I believe you mentioned him as an influence but if you haven't done so give Jeff Porcaro's "Its AboutTime" bio by Robyn Flans a read.

Hi Liam

I know you are a Sonor endorser but do you ever set up and play your old drumsets (Pearl, Yamaha, etc) for fun, also how many drum kits do you own?

I only 'own' two sets. A really old Pearl MLX set from 1990 (which is on permanent loan to a friend of mine for the last 20 years) and my old 1983 Yamaha 9000 set. Occasionally I set up the Yamaha and play it for half an hour (a trip down memory lane) - but it's nowhere near as consistent as the modern Sonors. I don't actually 'own' the Sonor sets. As an endorser - it's considered a long term loan. Same with the cymbals and any other hardware.

Hi TheWolfGuy

I believe you mentioned him as an influence but if you haven't done so give Jeff Porcaro's "Its AboutTime" bio by Robyn Flans a read.

yes it's great - I've read it.

cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin,

On the same topic as the previous question, you’ve mentioned recording guides to yourself for live playing in order to free your mind a little bit. I was wondering if you’d ever be willing to share one of these recordings. Do you write yourself a script, or do you listen along and improvise telling yourself what to do? Regardless it’s an ingenious and fantastic approach to improving one’s surety in their playing and musical ideas.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi Andrea

I found this article ( https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/creating-click-tracks-drummers ) where you explain how you create your click track. At the end there's a link with the sample and MIDI files of your click's sound , but unfortunately it doesn't work on my computer (it says: "page not found"). Could you send the file here, please?

yes that was an article from 18 years ago. I don't know exactly where those samples are now. You might find them earlier on in this thread as I know this question has come up before.

Hi Brian

On the same topic as the previous question, you’ve mentioned recording guides to yourself for live playing in order to free your mind a little bit. I was wondering if you’d ever be willing to share one of these recordings. Do you write yourself a script, or do you listen along and improvise telling yourself what to do? Regardless it’s an ingenious and fantastic approach to improving one’s surety in their playing and musical ideas.

Really not worth hearing. There's no script - I don't bother announcing every event "Verse" "Bridge" "Chorus" (unless there's something unusual to note about them) - I just know where a 'cue' would be helpful for me (and or the band) inside the arrangement. Maybe there's a long section that none of us really want to count the bars - so a cue would really help - or a section in an odd time that would benefit from an announcement.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
I found this article ( https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/creating-click-tracks-drummers ) where you explain how you create your click track. At the end there's a link with the sample and MIDI files of your click's sound , but unfortunately it doesn't work on my computer (it says: "page not found"). Could you send the file here, please?

Thank you very much.
Andrea
Have you seen this Drumeo course? There is download of a song with clicks in various rhythms that might be useful.

Hi Gavin,

Just curious, in some of the songs in The Pineapple Thief, there is some mallet percussion, especially marimba (and maybe occasionally vibes?) My question is, do you record yourself playing those parts, or do you program them in?

Hi Croc

Hoping that you and your Mighty Crim bandmates travel safely and have a great time touring the States in the upcoming leg. Looking forward to seeing you, Pat, and Jez ripping it up, again!

thanks - we're here in the States rehearsing for the tour already. See you soon

Hi Julia

Just curious, in some of the songs in The Pineapple Thief, there is some mallet percussion, especially marimba (and maybe occasionally vibes?) My question is, do you record yourself playing those parts, or do you program them in?

yes I recorded myself playing the marimba. There's no vibraphone - maybe you're hearing my Nord Drum 3 pad?

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I was able to see the King Crimson concert tonight in Texas, and it was amazing! I’ll definitely count it as a once in a lifetime experience. The level of communication needed between the whole band is astounding. Thanks for all you do.

Two questions: What kind of head do you use for the resonant side of your bass drum, and how many sticks do you bring with you per concert?

Got to see King Crimson in St Augustine FL a few days ago, fantastic show! You all did a great job but I was especially impressed with your playing, Gavin.
Cheers!

Hi Julia

What kind of head do you use for the resonant side of your bass drum, and how many sticks do you bring with you per concert?

the front head has an artwork print on it - it's quite dead and doesn't really resonate at all. I guess I have about 100 pairs of sticks on the tour with me. I might break about 2 or 3 sticks a night on average. On stage I have about 10 pairs.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Julia

What kind of head do you use for the resonant side of your bass drum, and how many sticks do you bring with you per concert?

the front head has an artwork print on it - it's quite dead and doesn't really resonate at all. I guess I have about 100 pairs of sticks on the tour with me. I might break about 2 or 3 sticks a night on average. On stage I have about 10 pairs.

Cheers
Gavin

It may not resonate BUT that cannon punches hard from mid theater (I had seats literally right behind the board). Cheers!

IMG_20210724_212442261.jpg
IMG_20210724_223341052.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a few days late, but I drove 600 miles from Portland to Concord to see Crimson last Thursday. First time for me, although I've been a fan since 2005. It was so amazing. I was just to the left of you, about 10 rows back or so. The three of you did such a fantastic job, I've never seen a drum performance like that before. I'm also a Sonor fanboy! :D

(I really wish you guys did Epitaph, but playing 3 songs off of Red is more than enough to compensate)

Love the age range depicted in the audience by those photos.

Really says something about the music's life outside of the performance hall.

Hi Stevesmithfan

What 3 main Zildjian crashes are you using currently? What is your favorite sized Sweet Crash?

The three main crashes are - 20" Sweet Crash, 17" A medium Crash, 19" Sweet Crash. Of the Sweet Crashes I think I slightly prefer the 20" - but they are both great.

Hi Seafroggys

(I really wish you guys did Epitaph, but playing 3 songs off of Red is more than enough to compensate)

We normally play Epitaph every show - strange that we didn't that night.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Mr Gavin,

what do you think of Alfredo Golino?
I just discovered him now and he's absolutely amazing.
Thanks for your input.

Take care

Back