Selecting My Pearl Music City Custom Snare Drum: Resolved

C.M. Now your getting into heirloom material.
You obviously can’t go wrong with either.

But here’s my two cents:
I like the maple, it’s such a bread and butter sound. I have a maple Renown, not near this quality, and it sounds so smooth.

I’m not much for the walnut tone, I do love the elegant furniture grade look. I’d have to hear in person before I stepped out with this grade of procuring.

But I’ve also seen slightly darker shades of those maple snares than what is posted on the YouTube vid you presented.

You seem slanted towards walnut - you like the walnut that’s where it’s at for you!

But I’ve also seen slightly darker shades of those maple snares than what is posted on the YouTube vid you presented.
Thanks for your input, Ransan. Yes, the finishes vary from drum to drum in this series. Each drum is hand-finished by a single artisan, so differences will naturally arise. Exterior inlay rings are also available -- Kingwood, Ebony, Marine Pearl, and so on -- but I like the tasteful simplicity of stained wood with no further ornamentations.

Walnut is winning my internal scuffle right now, but I'll resolve the dispute in the next day or so.

That walnut is something. I'd get it. I love maple too, but that walnut snare has a soul.

Last edited:
Okay, here are my two cents - probably worth about a ha'penny, lol.

In the recordings, which drum I liked depended on the tuning. For example, at the very low tuning I found the overtones of the maple gave a rounder sound that I found more pleasing and full-sounding to my ear. I really didn't like either drum at the "low" tuning. The medium tuning is where the walnut won out, mostly because that is where I heard the "honk" in the maple drum that someone else mentioned. At the highest tuning, I slightly favored the walnut, MAYBE. I felt both drums sounded really great at that tuning, though.

I have owned a walnut drum, and I grew to not like it over time. Walnut seems to have a dryness to the tone, and a sharp edge, which is in contrast to the darkness of the lower overtone series. It is definitely unique, but I came to realize it isn't the sound I want to hear day in and day out. I noticed the same characteristics in the walnut Music City drum. It sounds very different from my walnut George Way did, to be sure, but I hear those characteristics, just the same.

It would be a really hard choice for me, to be honest. Neither would be a bad choice. I like the look of the walnut, but I can't help thinking the maple would be the more enduring choice...

(To get an idea of what my ideal snare drum sound is these days, check this out...
)

I think Walnut would be a great choice for you. I've read a lot of your posts and base my opinion on what I've read.

I love these threads, it's fun to live vicariously by helping other people spend their hard-earned money. :LOL:

So get this...I have a "snare drums" playlist on Youtube that I've been slowly adding to for years. I'm extremely picky, only adding the best of the best according to my sound preferences. (I tend to prefer dry and articulate, tuned high) I also try to limit them to "trustworthy" recordings, meaning little or no post-processing or EQ. So, adding a new snare to my playlist is quite rare, for what it's worth.

Well, I added that exact Walnut demo to the playlist several months ago. Not the Maple, just the Walnut. And that specific Walnut snare wasn't a fluke. Memphis Drum Shop has a 2nd Walnut Demo that sounds virtually identical (I added that one as well!).

I almost always prefer Maple over Walnut because I find that Walnut tends to have a "grittier" or "dirtier" tonality to it. It's subtle, but I can hear it. Maple just sounds "smoother" (aka more pleasing) to me. Well, I hear none of that grittiness in the Pearl Walnut, it sounds glorious and as pleasing as can be.

You have good taste in snares, my friend. Get the Walnut!

Here's the 2nd demo...

I love these threads, it's fun to live vicariously by helping other people spend their hard-earned money. :LOL:

So get this...I have a "snare drums" playlist on Youtube that I've been slowly adding to for years. I'm extremely picky, only adding the best of the best according to my sound preferences. (I tend to prefer dry and articulate, tuned high) I also try to limit them to "trustworthy" recordings, meaning little or no post-processing or EQ. So, adding a new snare to my playlist is quite rare, for what it's worth.

Well, I added that exact Walnut demo to the playlist several months ago. Not the Maple, just the Walnut. And that specific Walnut snare wasn't a fluke. Memphis Drum Shop has a 2nd Walnut Demo that sounds virtually identical (I added that one as well!).

I almost always prefer Maple over Walnut because I find that Walnut tends to have a "grittier" or "dirtier" tonality to it. It's subtle, but I can hear it. Maple just sounds "smoother" (aka more pleasing) to me. Well, I hear none of that grittiness in the Pearl Walnut, it sounds glorious and as pleasing as can be.

You have good taste in snares, my friend. Get the Walnut!

Here's the 2nd demo...

Ah, I've been awaiting the arrival of the forum's chief audiophile. Glad you have a high opinion of the series. Your views on such matters are always well informed.

Really nice solid shells and hardware on those snares. They are all gorgeous.
I haven't listened yet but what is motivating the new snare if I may inquire? Something you've been "thinking on" for a long time or a specific need or just got froggy? Looks like you'll be joining the " I spent around a grand on my snare club"? Which I hear some people state we are crazy-but color me crazy. Hell yeah mine was/is worth it. So now you've baited us you should leave us waiting for a pic/video of your new arrival and surprise us all with your choice. Congrats on whatever fabulous new snare you choose C.M. I can't wait to see a pic. So you may need a matching Music City kit to go with the snare-just sayin'.

If I was to ever ... ever spend that much on a snare it wouldn’t be that series.
They don’t sound like they would record great.
Pearl’s ok but , no. Too much for too little.
You can make a $300 snare sound just as good , if not better

Really nice solid shells and hardware on those snares. They are all gorgeous.
I haven't listened yet but what is motivating the new snare if I may inquire? Something you've been "thinking on" for a long time or a specific need or just got froggy? Looks like you'll be joining the " I spent around a grand on my snare club"? Which I hear some people state we are crazy-but color me crazy. Hell yeah mine was/is worth it. So now you've baited us you should leave us waiting for a pic/video of your new arrival and surprise us all with your choice. Congrats on whatever fabulous new snare you choose C.M. I can't wait to see a pic. So you may need a matching Music City kit to go with the snare-just sayin'.
I promise I'm not a slave to whims or fads in this case. A Music City Custom snare has been the object of my obsession for some time now. It's not only a top-notch instrument but a representation of my heritage as a devout Pearl player. This line is the pinnacle of Pearl snare drums in my opinion, and it's high time that I procure one.

I don't pine for a matching Music City Custom kit at all. I truly admire my Session Studio Select shells and never really entertain the idea of parting with them. I may harbor different ambitions five or ten years from now, but at present, my Sessions more than satisfy my requirements.

Not trying to bag on pearl or anything but for way less money , you can pick up a sensitone aluminum for cheaper and it’s a very under rated drum

Not trying to bag on pearl or anything but for way less money , you can pick up a sensitone aluminum for cheaper and it’s a very under rated drum
I don't play metal snares, nor am I searching for alternatives at this point. If I could have any snare on the planet, it would be a Music City Custom. It's about what the drum represents to me, not just the drum itself.

I haven't listened yet but what is motivating the new snare if I may inquire?
It might be a longshot....but I'm guessing this forum had something to do with it ha ha

TBH, in my mind, there's no dilemma. Use the return policy. Twice if you have to. Sorted.

No dilemma decision to make, try them both out. Change the batter heads, record them for later, more unbiased consumption. and act like a bigshot. Let the merchants do your bidding

The customer is King.

Use what's offered Your Grace

Last edited:
It sounds like you're leaning toward the walnut snare, but aren't yet sure. So to help you make up your mind, I'm going to resort to subliminal messaging.

(walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut, walnut)

Sounds like your heart is set on the walnut. Go to her!

My Numero Uno snare (not ol' reliable) is a steambent maple 14 x 6.5" it has mojo! My kit is a Saturn so I get the best of both worlds.

As long as you've done your homework, you won't be disappointed.

Another vote for Walnut. It’s warm, punchy and articulate with body too. Not a lot of overtones either..very direct sounding drum. I couldn’t ask for anything more from a wood shell snare.

Back