Do most drummers hate metal ? as much as normal popheads? ( extreme metal)

I've been a Metalhead since 1980 and I can tell you that among us there are genres of metal that wear thin pretty fast. I can only take blast beats for so long before I can't stand it anymore.
That being said, I'm always amazed and impressed that a drummer can do that so fast for so long. They're really very talented people.
What surprises me the most is the level of orchestration and arrangement the drummers are playing at. I’m surprised most of them don’t use sheet music to get through a tune.

I've been a Metalhead since 1980 and I can tell you that among us there are genres of metal that wear thin pretty fast. I can only take blast beats for so long before I can't stand it anymore.
That being said, I'm always amazed and impressed that a drummer can do that so fast for so long. They're really very talented people.

same here...I can only take so much of any (sub)genre of music as well...but I have at least not purposefully shunned any kind of music in my life. I give everyhting a fair chance

What surprises me the most is the level of orchestration and arrangement the drummers are playing at. I’m surprised most of them don’t use sheet music to get through a tune.

yep...I think too many people just brush metal off as "dummy music"...and some of it is, but as in any genre, there is "dummy" music, and brilliance

but again, the people who lump metal into the "dummy music" category are the ones who know the least about it

yep...I think too many people just brush metal off as "dummy music"...and some of it is, but as in any genre, there is "dummy" music, and brilliance

but again, the people who lump metal into the "dummy music" category are the ones who know the least about it
This applies to many genre's... I thought down on country music for many years. Never realized how much is actually going on when you break down those songs to learn them. Not necessarily the same technical level, but the arrangements and such.

I feel like most people who dont understand or get metal just haven't listened to the right stuff yet. I'm gonna drop this here (instrumental so no growly man yelling at you):

The Human album was released in 1991. Sean Reinert (RIP) is the drummer. Is it extreme by today's standards, no. Is it extreme for folks who dont listen to metal, probably. Was it extreme for its day, absolutely.

@Push pull stroke, listen to the snare up to the 2:00 minute mark, especially between 1:40-2:00. I think you will be surprised with Sean's snare work.

And this here is the problem. Extremists on either side of the fence who dont know how to behave themselves. The musicians themselves dont take themselves nearly as seriously as some of their fans. Metal musicians arent murderers, necrophiliacs, or rapists. They dont eat children, worship satan*, or run amok leaving chaos in there wake. They are just creating art. Metal is supposed to be scary in theme, it's the musical version of a horror movie.

In the 8 years I gigged, I shared the stage and hung out with numerous different national metal acts. They are just people like the rest of us. I've hung out with Glen Benton, he didnt do any satanic rituals. I've hung out with Chris Barnes, he is a peace loving hippie, not a murderer. It's just an act. At the end of the day, all these folks want to do is play music just like the rest of us.

*Most arent. While satan is a giant topic in metal, again it's just an act.
Must watch the "Release the Slayer fans" skit in Youtube.

I would love to meet Steve Asheim to me his and Pete Sandoval's drumming paved the way to blast beats and the insane speeds we hear today.

I threw that in for kicks, although there was a time where playing records backwards to check for hidden messages was a noble task. Some still believe in the myth - nevermind that even IF there was intentional messages there, people won't hear them when records are played in their intentional direction - forward.

But there's also this Satanic association with playing records or mp3s backwards for ANY reason. Certainly metronomic time plays the same in that direction as well. But I was just guessing. I don't even know how to flip a track over the vertical in my DAW to check it out, but theoretically, the metal genre seems like it would fit the bill.

And of course who wants to play anything backwards, for ANY reason, who grew up in the 80s when the myth was strong.
Backwards masking is such a comedic trope that some artists continue to implement it. Great way to keep the fading lessons of the past(caution when accepting fear based censorship) in the minds eye of the present.

Ever listened to 'Ocean Eyes' from Billie Eilish?...really makes me laugh...though I don't know if it was intended as humor...but I accept it that way.

I would love to meet Steve Asheim to me his and Pete Sandoval's drumming paved the way to blast beats and the insane speeds we hear today.
I gigged between 1994-2002. That was the company I (we) were trying to keep. Got to jam with those guys as well as many others. It was a fantastic time that I enjoyed and now am glad is over.

Last edited:
Ever listened to 'Ocean Eyes' from Billie Eilish?...really makes me laugh...though I don't know if it was intended as humor...but I accept it that way.
I'm living with mother now. Opportunities to listen to anything approaching hard rock, much less metal, are limited. Free rent and food are hard to pass up when you're not working. Especially when your gear is up next on survival options.

Besides all that, I'm not really wanting to be converted at this point in time. Or even to defend my position. The OP asked for our opinions on a touchy subject. I gave mine in the most direct unpolished way that I could. There are going to be exceptions to the rule.

I'll take a listen when I get the chance.

Opportunities to listen to anything approaching hard rock, much less metal, are limited.
I don't know what you use for your personal listening, but if you have a decent headphone amp, Grado headphones are very comfortable and very clear sounding without harshness (I use the SR80).

I'm living with mother now. Opportunities to listen to anything approaching hard rock, much less metal, are limited. Free rent and food are hard to pass up when you're not working. Especially when your gear is up next on survival options.

Besides all that, I'm not really wanting to be converted at this point in time. Or even to defend my position. The OP asked for our opinions on a touchy subject. I gave mine in the most direct unpolished way that I could. There are going to be exceptions to the rule.

I'll take a listen when I get the chance.
Its a pop song...gives an example of backward sung lyrics that appears to be rooted in poking fun at the misled fear that focused mostly on metal back in the late 70's and 80's(all coming from the frenzy associated with the attempts to find things in Beatles recordings)

No conversion attempted : )...just giving reference to the continued 'fun - poking' at the misled fear in the modern day.

I feel like most people who dont understand or get metal just haven't listened to the right stuff yet. I'm gonna drop this here (instrumental so no growly man yelling at you):

The Human album was released in 1991. Sean Reinert (RIP) is the drummer. Is it extreme by today's standards, no. Is it extreme for folks who dont listen to metal, probably. Was it extreme for its day, absolutely.

@Push pull stroke, listen to the snare up to the 2:00 minute mark, especially between 1:40-2:00. I think you will be surprised with Sean's snare work.

I mean, it sounds like he played some 5-stroke rolls? Lol

I've often asked myself how the hell do they remember an entire set list ? !

Well I think music is in the ears of the beholder. I've been playing my instrument since I was 8 years old-a lifetime of whacking. And my taste in music has continually changed and evolved as I have-it's for the moment for me-cause that's all I got. I think how people receive music is different per person too (and their state of being at that moment)-empathic feelings arise music (some make you happy, some sad, some lively, some angry, etc) from how it's perceived. One person hears heaven the other hell. I really like the fusion of music that's going on now-music with heavy jazz influence really hits my buttons nowadays. If anyone ask me what kind of drummer you are-rock, metal, jazz, etc-I just look like a deer in headlights cause I don't think I really have a kind? Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die: So I Changed!
Yep, the older one gets the more understanding and acceptance of the things with which we are unfamiliar becomes increasingly difficult. Kudos @GetAgrippa for your incessant positivity and candor.
Today I listen to and play a much wider variety of music than ever before. Life is too short to become pigeon-holed into any musical genre, so much to explore and experience.

I would lso add Charlie Benante to the early speed pioneers...

Back