G.A.S. has been studied and is a real thing - Article

Lee-Bro

“Everybody enjoys it when you buy a new instrument or a new piece of musical equipment and share it with the community. It really is something that is a communal event. New Guitar Day, or something like that, and people are just happy for them, they take inspiration – ‘Maybe I need to play my Strat again. I haven’t played it for a while.’ And it’s very much like a support community where gear is just something positive, in most cases.”

I'm guilty but as long as you can afford it or have a plan to sell something else what's the big deal? I just like to try new (or used) stuff. I drive a 16 y/o car (probably nicer than most peeps new one) and don't have any other hobbies other than traveling with the fam. I like drums! Sue me. :cool:

Ditto, I have no skidoo, no RV, no big truck, normal medium house, no fancy furniture but a lot of gear for my hobbies, music and climbing and windsurfing...But when I buy, I can keep it for a long time as I still use it it all the time, I have keys that are from 1986 and they play like a charm!!!

I dont care for shopping. GAS has never really been a thing with me. I decide what I want, find it at it's most affordable price, then grit my teeth and trade $$$ for goods. I don't get that same excitement others get when they buy a new thing. If anything, I sometimes feel guilty for buying something unnecessary I want instead of putting the $$$ towards something more important.

I get more excited about tossing out unused items than introducing new ones. I really dont want things I dont use.

What a nothing article that was, total fluff

GAS I think has overshadowed becoming proficient on an instrument, at least that's what it seems to me

As a former GASSER, I like it better now. Less complication, less distraction, more actual practicing.

It's much nicer to not to be controlled by GAS

What a nothing article that was, total fluff

GAS I think has overshadowed becoming proficient on an instrument, at least that's what it seems to me

As a former GASSER, I like it better now. Less complication, less distraction, more actual practicing.

It's much nicer to not to be controlled by GAS
I practice PLENTY. I have a #1 kit, my favorite, and usually a 2nd and even a 3rd for spells. It doesn't have anything to do with how much I practice. This notion that someone is controlled by acquiring gear is nonsense, at least in my case. Variety is the spice of life if you ask me. Sometimes I think this forum is "anti-gear" what with the opinions I see where if you pay more than a grand for a kit you're some kind of poser or can't play. I always have a couple of nice kits setup and If anyone wants to stop by and trade some 4's let me know.

I have run out of G.A.S. I have it no more.

I had it for quite a while, but now it's gone.

Now, all I have is gear I really enjoy, and I play it as often as possible-sometimes daily. Played drums and guitar yesterday, not a bad day.

Now I have S.A.S.- Skills Acquisitions Syndrome.
It's better than G.A.S., imo.

I practice PLENTY. I have a #1 kit, my favorite, and usually a 2nd and even a 3rd for spells. It doesn't have anything to do with how much I practice. This notion that someone is controlled by acquiring gear is nonsense, at least in my case. Variety is the spice of life if you ask me. Sometimes I think this forum is "anti-gear" what with the opinions I see where if you pay more than a grand for a kit you're some kind of poser or can't play. I always have a couple of nice kits setup and If anyone wants to stop by and trade some 4's let me know.

Fair enough man

Station in life is a huge factor too. My wife and I are both retired with both daughters through college and working. I gigged A LOT when I was younger and had a blast doing it in the 60's,70's and 80's. I'm not out to try to recreate it in some dopey tribute band. If I go to a bar I'm there to drink and dance! I've gigged all I care to at this point so I need a room with some toys in it. I totally understand the ideas of gigging kits and economics of being younger trying to save a buck here and there.

One thing I taught both my kids was the danger of credit cards and having the ability to pay for things you buy whether it's in cash or credit. I would agree that if people are buying just to buy and are neglecting their family situation, or even their personal well being, that they have a problem.

Guilty as charged... I practice daily which in my case is a must. I started late and if I have any hope of "catching up" I must put in the hours. The next task is to make sure my practice time is productive, I have doubts.

My nemesis is GAS... Not because some new object will make me better, but because I like new (to me) stuff. The less time I spend shopping, and surfing forums, the more time I'll have to practice. I need to remember, and apply, that.

In my case I never buy on credit and the finance dept (wife) typically signs off on any discretionary funds expenditure in advance.

I have run out of G.A.S. I have it no more.

I had it for quite a while, but now it's gone.

Now, all I have is gear I really enjoy, and I play it as often as possible-sometimes daily. Played drums and guitar yesterday, not a bad day.

Now I have S.A.S.- Skills Acquisitions Syndrome.
I am really truly no kidding jealous.
I have GAS. I wish I didn't, I fight it, but I do.
But I wish I had SAS. I do try to improve—there's always something I'm working on (right now it's faster, cleaner Bonham triplets and six stroke rolls)—but for me GAS is far stronger than SAS. So, I said, I'm honestly jealous.
I have SASAS. (Skills Acquisition Syndrome Acquisition Syndrome)

When I started getting guitars again, I wanted to get my fingers back because of hand damage.
I have 6 now, but I wanted "different ones", so I have
A 12 string acoustic, a 6 string electric acoustic, and electric bass, and acoustic electric (Dreadnaught style) bass, a Stratocaster and a Les Paul.
I wanted a keyboard, so I got one.
Amps and such... well, ya GOTTA get those!
I wanted a drum set so I got one. I wanted Roto toms, so I got a set.
The car I drive is a '07 RAV4 that I got for 500 bux in '18. I have put tires, oil changes and a battery in it. I have put 65,000 miles on it so far and it's running fine.
I'll probably "retire" when I fall off my chair at work, and folks say "Man! I don't think I've ever seen Bob being lazy before!" (someone else) "And he finally shut up!"
I spend my money on what I want to...
Practice (the motivation to do more of it) would be nice.
I'm OK, You're OK...or something like that.

I can openly say with great certainty that there are two things that will never happen to me in my lifetime: 1) Being called as a stand-in for Brad Pitt
and 2) Securing a professional drum endorsement.

So I have always paid for my own gear for the past 50 "plus" years and will continue to do so. For the first 40 of those years each purchase was dictated by two factors: a tight budget and a Type A personality. My personality tended to lock in on only liking one certain thing at a time, so why even bother adding on an extra snare or cymbal? That would be futility, or so I thought. If that were to ever happen--and it never did--my budget constraints would have kicked in.
Less is more was my adage.

But as fate would have it several things changed in my 50's. First, it's like a switch was flipped on and all of a sudden I became intrigued by options. The thought of owning a shell bank or multiple snares no longer seemed unnecessary, it seemed inviting. Second, I made a career move and locked in on doing location audio recording for video and film production. I became hyper aware of sound, sonics and audio and that carried over in a new way to my drumming. Third, years of frugal saving; driving each and every car a minimum of 22 years; living well below our means; two wonderful, incredible daughters rolling off of the family payroll; and having a steady cush side gig that paid me monthly on an annual rider for 16 years; all of these leaving my wife and I in a good financial spot. Not rich but comfortable.

My wife voiced some concern when I started acquiring more gear than anticipated. I said, "Look at it this way, gear is 'Man Jewelry'." She immediately got it. And when I told her my objective in life was to grow old with her and my gear she became my biggest supporter.

I don't buy gear just to have more things. I'm acquiring very specific sounds from all my drums and cymbals. I'm building sound, percussive systems through very selective purchases. I have to confess I have more than I deserve, but I'm having the time of my life mixing things up. I'm playing for the sheer enjoyment of playing these days. Every few weeks the setup changes and I experiment until I learn something new that puts a smile on my face. Now my adage is variety is the spice of life.

So just a closing observation. Enjoy what you have. Don't ever compare yourself or your gear to others. Gear never defines your talent nor your abilities.

And remember for all of us who enjoy finding a good used deal at an incredible price, someone else had to purchase that equipment new before ultimately sending it on down the proverbial pipeline at a steeply discounted price for someone else to own. Everyone has a part in supporting our drum and cymbal manufacturers to keep them afloat. And some gear collectors serve to preserve pieces of history that may one day land in your collection to enjoy.

The great theologian Sheryl Crow says it well, "It's not having what you want/It's wanting what you've got."

gear is 'Man Jewelry'."
OH what a GREAT point!!!
I don't wear ANY jewelry at all...no ring, watch, necklace, anything. The only reasons I wear glasses is that I can't wear contacts (Chronic eye infections). And I like to see.
But with THIS philosophy...
I feel the need to "adorn" myself...
"Honey, does this 22 inch ride make my butt look big?"
"But that cymbal, just like @Al Strange has matches my eyes!"
"Look at this! @Ransan 's wife must REALLY LOVE him!"
"If you like it then you shoulda put a kit on it!"

Last edited:
I suppose then, SHE would be saying:
"What have you drummed for me lately?"

Just can't win!
And the kit she DID let me get is Zirconia I think.

Back