True confessions..older and slooower

A great warm-up stretch I use is the pretzel stretch which works my arms, shoulders, fingers and wrists.

In addition to the many great recommendations made above, it’s always important to be well hydrated, have a good diet, and get plenty of rest. You will notice a world of difference in your general awareness, control and ability to execute.

All of the help and responses here are a tremendous source of information and INSPIRATION. You've all shared so much!. I can't let any of you down or take for granted any of the time and help you've given. You will all be with me at rehearsal tonight. This may sound wimpy but you're all here in my heart. What a bunch you all are..from my heart..WOW. THANK YOU!.

I think you have to remember that some days will be good, some days won't. Nobody is on fire every time they sit behind the kit.

Also you said you haven't played in forever... That's probably the biggest contributing factor. As we age, our muscles tense up and become less limber, so warming up sounds like a good idea. Play on your pad every day to keep limber... Stick Control is great for that.

With Stick Control, an idea could be to pick 3 tempos to work on. So, depending on how much time you have to practice on your pad:

Pick 3 - 5 exercises, and play them 2 minutes each at tempo #1. Then the same thing at tempo #2, then tempo #3. Rather than playing the same exercises every day, change them up. This will ensure that your brain is firing on all cylinders too, as you'll be working to get comfortable with the sticking in a short period of time. And ultimately, all those exercises are singes and doubles, so doesn't matter which exercises you pick, you'll be working on the fundamentals.

I'm late 30s but try to do yoga and exercise regularly to help me stay limber. Perhaps try some light yoga to help with your flexibility.

I hope this is useful. x

this is pretty much exactly what I do, but I do #'s 1-14 on page 8. I like keeping them the same b/c it allows me to feel and manipulate technique issues

I keep my slef entertained later on by gridding flams or isolated drags over the same patterns

All of the help and responses here are a tremendous source of information and INSPIRATION. You've all shared so much!. I can't let any of you down or take for granted any of the time and help you've given. You will all be with me at rehearsal tonight. This may sound wimpy but you're all here in my heart. What a bunch you all are..from my heart..WOW. THANK YOU!.

just remember not to let YOURSELF down first...we will all just come along for the ride!!

A great warm-up stretch I use is the pretzel stretch which works my arms, shoulders, fingers and wrists.

In addition to the many great recommendations made above, it’s always important to be well hydrated, have a good diet, and get plenty of rest. You will notice a world of difference in your general awareness, control and ability to execute.

Whoa - that is what I always do. Read about it in a drum magazine more than 30 years ago but never knew what it´s called. :)

How did it go? 😊

Happy to be here at a happy & young 79 but that's okay. Life is great and I really enjoy the drums. Started in 1958 still not great but solid timing not me saying that. I'm just a simple & straight up nothing fancy/ Not into solo or out there playing. Just in the grove. Jazz -blues rock&roll. I play with a 25 piece local German band also a 7 piece Dixie group plus trio for jazz. And for fun I own a carpet cleaning company for the past 40 yrs. I do the cleaning no employees . I am a better carpet cleaner than a drummer but really enjoy both. jz

Happy to be here at a happy & young 79 but that's okay. Life is great and I really enjoy the drums. Started in 1958 still not great but solid timing not me saying that. I'm just a simple & straight up nothing fancy/ Not into solo or out there playing. Just in the grove. Jazz -blues rock&roll. I play with a 25 piece local German band also a 7 piece Dixie group plus trio for jazz. And for fun I own a carpet cleaning company for the past 40 yrs. I do the cleaning no employees . I am a better carpet cleaner than a drummer but really enjoy both. jz
79?..ive got a shot!..i think I can do! this thing. If I make it I'll be complaining about my foot speed at 79 and I hope a member at 98 posts that he/she is kicking butt on stage to good times bad times. That inspiring drummer!.

I just started getting fast in my late 40s lol. Now just past 50, the only thing that slows me down is too much time off the drums. When I had an e-kit I played for at least 2 hours a day, every day. But since going back to real drums I play about 2 hours a week and I'm getting rusty.

I think it's your muscle memory more than your skill level or ability to play faster. You just need to get back in the swing, so to speak.

I'm almost 58 now, and I've noticed some speed improvements, the more I play regularly. I don't have the structured routine that many here are discussing, so I'm sure if you do any of the various things suggested here, you'll be ahead of the game soon enough.

Keep having fun!

Back