Gretsch Renown Maple vs RN1

Gdog

Hey all, I've got a question re the Gretsch Renown series. I have a pre-RN1 Renown Maple in slate Silver sparkle (black square badge) with the 20x22 cannon bass drum. Rims style mounts but say GTS on them. The sound and quality are amazing but that bass is a monster on a small venue.
I have a chance to trade my shell pack for a RN1 shell pack with a 16x20" bass. Die cast hoops like mine, and the lower profile GTS mounts. I know the main difference is the mount and the bit of softer Maple than the older all- North American maple plies. I don't know that it matters to most about the softer Maple in quality. They'll both sound awesome no doubt. The question Is one more or less valuable/desirable or significant higher quality? Thx

It's good that you're aware of the subtle differences and I'd say the earlier model is of a slightly higher quality. Here's the rub. You're gonna want to hit (kick?) that 20x16 bass drum to see if it even comes close to the sound you're getting with the 22x20. If the smaller kick works for you tonally then I'd say do the swap for no other reason than you wouldn't have to drag that monster kick around any more.

Thanks! I've played a 20x16 some time ago at a music shop but it was so cost prohibitive at the time, I just walked out. Loved the sound of it. Just Wasn't in a financial position to buy it at the time. My biggest concern has to do with it being possibly a step down. I'm curious as to the quality being different I've always thought A Renown is a Renown is a Renown, but the subtle changes they've made over the years make me research like crazy , lol

It's good that you're aware of the subtle differences and I'd say the earlier model is of a slightly higher quality. Here's the rub. You're gonna want to hit (kick?) that 20x16 bass drum to see if it even comes close to the sound you're getting with the 22x20. If the smaller kick works for you tonally then I'd say do the swap for no other reason than you wouldn't have to drag that monster kick around any more.

+1 - really nothing to add...nailed it Darth.

The one thing I will say is that at least you're in the RN1 range: The current RN2 series are nice - but those older versions were something else.

Thanks guys, I investigated the bd cut down, and there's a custom drum guy about 4 hrs drive (so it's a day trip), but haven't decided that route. Was going to go to 16, possibly 14. I like the precision work, but I'm in Ontario. Shipping this gorgeous pig wouldn't be cheap, and with postage being slow the days it's a less than desirable option. Would be great.
I'm still not sold on the RN1 shell vs what I've got because I love the sound of my black badge, but it might be worth it for the weight and stage presence (sound) alone, lol

Thanks

So it's been a couple of months since I posted this thread. I didn't go with the trade. I liked my Generation 1 Renowns better than the RN1 and the finish grew on me. I DID take it to TRS drums for a shell cut-down and made a day of it. Lockdown was really bumming me out but it was worth waiting for things to open up. This drum absolutely sings as a 14x22 now, and I kept the 6" cut to make a piece of wall art once I find the Gretsch lugs, claw and hoop. I'm very happy with this drum and it really fits my style now. I'll try and figure out the pic posting. Different lighting, same drum. I love this kit so much now. Insanely good quality. So glad I ignored the feelings of regret. Haha

Attachments

• 20210226_151021.jpg
    20210226_151021.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210226_151039.jpg
    20210226_151039.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210612_165127.jpg
    20210612_165127.jpg
    753 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210612_165156.jpg
    20210612_165156.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 19
  • PhotoGrid_Plus_1623532208413.jpg
    PhotoGrid_Plus_1623532208413.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 19
So it's been a couple of months since I posted this thread. I didn't go with the trade. I liked my Generation 1 Renowns better than the RN1 and the finish grew on me. I DID take it to TRS drums for a shell cut-down and made a day of it. Lockdown was really bumming me out but it was worth waiting for things to open up. This drum absolutely sings as a 14x22 now, and I kept the 6" cut to make a piece of wall art once I find the Gretsch lugs, claw and hoop. I'm very happy with this drum and it really fits my style now. I'll try and figure out the pic posting. Different lighting, same drum. I love this kit so much now. Insanely good quality. So glad I ignored the feelings of regret. Haha
Excellent! IMO, you can't go wrong with the 14X22.

I've got the latest RN1 but when I heard Vinnies cobalt blue kit on the Vinnie unwrapping YouTube clip I was frikkin stunned!. Best sounding kit I've heard.....ever.

I've got the latest RN1 but when I heard Vinnies cobalt blue kit on the Vinnie unwrapping YouTube clip I was frikkin stunned!. Best sounding kit I've heard.....ever.
I think Vinnie's blue kit is a refurbished, slightly older, USA set. Regardless, I know the video and they sound fantastic. One of the videos I cam across while debating pulling the trigger on a vintage USA set. I did and they sound as amazing in real life...lol

Great decision you took ! Have you got any pic of the kit fully set up ?

I think that 20"-long kicks need to be outlawed. I used to have a "beer can" kick, and I grew to dislike it.

I think you made the right decision. Great job! It looks so much better now. A 20"-long kick looks cartoonish to me now.

Last edited:
How do they cut down bass drums? From the middle or outside in? I'm curious as to how they would cut down a bass drum with existing re-rings. Anybody?

How do they cut down bass drums? From the middle or outside in? I'm curious as to how they would cut down a bass drum with existing re-rings. Anybody
It depends on the finish and if you're attached to the burst if that's the case. It can be shaved both sides or one side. To preserve the looks of a burst They'd have to cut either end and move spurs and redrill lugs on both ends. For mine it was a consistent sparkle so he cut the batter side, trued it up and cut the 30 Gretsch bearing edge exact.

I saw this. Glad you like the 20x14. I have a ssb kit w/20x14. It's a lil beast. Enjoy!

If there's any advantage to a 20" BD, it's that it gives great options to cutting down. If I liked everything about two kits and one had an 18" BD and the other a 20", I'd go 20" all day. Removes any doubt around interference with existing mounts, lugs, etc.

Great choice and looks great. Should sound like a little canon instead of a thud now!

If there's any advantage to a 20" BD, it's that it gives great options to cutting down. If I liked everything about two kits and one had an 18" BD and the other a 20", I'd go 20" all day. Removes any doubt around interference with existing mounts, lugs, etc.

Great choice and looks great. Should sound like a little canon instead of a thud now!
I guess if you had a 20" in depth, you could cut down to 14" and make a pancake drum out of the remainder, too.

I have an 18x22 Renown that I’ve been contemplating cutting down. But my ideal depth is 16” rather than 14” which makes it harder to cut down due to the existing lug holes. Plus the 16” depth isn’t that different from 18” so I’ve been holding off on doing so. But this thread has renewed my interest in cutting it down, though I keep going back and forth as to whether it’s worth it.

If my bass drum was 20” deep, then it would be a no brainer.

Back