Light weight fast action kick pedal

Sonorfan

So I'm 81 and after years of Country and light Rock had reconnected with my great love, Jazz. I'm fortunate in that the people I now play with are all current and ex pros and/or educators. We do some BeBop, Modern and soft Jazz all of which I spent many hours studying and playing on YouTube during Covid shutdown. I have Osteo in both hands, wrists with usual deformed fingers but I've been able to regain lot of lost speed and can do solid 2 minute breaks. My problem is my speed on my kick. I have some Osteo in my ankle but my main concern is my knee. I had a full replacement in 2019 and it works fine (I exercise regularly) but is just doesn't operate like the real thing. It's movement is much more restricted especially as regarding pedal speed . Long before the knee was replaced I had bought a Tama Iron Cobra FS900 as it took all the stress off my what was then my bad knee. I love the Cobra as it's almost infinitely adjustable and the strap link makes it very smooth. I just can't get the speed I desire as in 200 BPM for any more than 30 seconds. Doing even a medium fast Samba is really a challenge. The Cobra is also heavy to lug around. So friends and "real time Jazz cats", is there a lightweight, super fast pedal that can solve my dilema ? I appreciate all the input from you fine, experienced folks.
Cheers

Honestly, the Trick Pro1V is really fast, and easy to adjust and carry around. I have 2 of them, one at home and one at a rehearsal space. Love them
Funny, I was just looking at their video of the ProV1 and very impressed. It will cost me about $750 Canadian but if will solve my speed dilema it's well worth it ! Where I live in British Columbia interior there are only two retailers and neither carry it. When travel restrictions lift I can travel to Vancouver (2,000,000) as i'm sure there will be a dealer there. Many thanks

I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole post however whenever I hear a request for a lightweight fast action pedal I always immediately suggest the Tama hp30. It's got several features found on the iron cobra pedals but overall is much lighter weight. It has surprisingly fast action for being technically an 'entry level' pedal, especially if you swap the large beater for a smaller iron cobra beater, and is very affordable. It folds basically flat for travel as well. If you don't mind it not having a solid footboard it's a great way to go. Cheap enough you can get two and have a backup.

Don't sleep on the Tama HP 50 "Classic" pedal, Lightweight, folds compactly and very fast and smooth. It immediately became my favorite pedal after about 5 minutes of play time.

I have a Cobras F900 strap series and can adjust it

This is different than the "normal" Tama pedals. This goes along with the Classic Series Hardware that replicates vintage hardware. The entire frame adjusts up and down so you can hit near the center on different size bass drums, You can adjust beater angle independent of the footboard angle and vice versa. It also folds very compactly for easy transport. Unless you have a concrete foot playing death metal,, it's the only pedal you'll ever need.

Attachments

• Tama 1.jpg
    Tama 1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Tama.jpg
    Tama.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Tama 2.jpg
    Tama 2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 10
First off, let me applaud you for being 81 & still jamming! May I have half your energy & drive when I'm there.🤘
Second, the Trick or Axis pedals will fit your (upper) bill perfectly.
If they don't appeal to your bank, the DW Machine Drive series is right up there with the others and a single pedal won't break the bank.
Even less cash I'd hit up the Tama Classic Series pedal @vyacheslav talked about.
The ability to adjust the whole frame as well as the action is unreal.

Good luck, Sir & may you have many gigs of success.

First off, let me applaud you for being 81 & still jamming! May I have half your energy & drive when I'm there.🤘
Second, the Trick or Axis pedals will fit your (upper) bill perfectly.
If they don't appeal to your bank, the DW Machine Drive series is right up there with the others and a single pedal won't break the bank.
Even less cash I'd hit up the Tama Classic Series pedal @vyacheslav talked about.
The ability to adjust the whole frame as well as the action is unreal.

Good luck, Sir & may you have many gigs of success.
Many thanks my friend. So I took the plunge and bought the Trick Pro1V conventional. To start, the adjustments are very simple but effective. I set the swing drive arm at the top position which is lightest and backed the tension spring to very light as well and "boom" speed problem solved" I can do the two beat kick drum Samba no problem, well as fast as my steel knee will allow. And, I played it for about and hour yesterday to tracks and no fatigue ! I use a Sonor Safari 16in kick that has a riser. That takes some messing around to get the pedal mount to mesh with the riser but I think i've got it right, but maybe a little more tweaking. Mike Dorfman of Trick has been most responsive and helpful answering my e mails personally with suggestions. I have never used a direct drive pedal before as I thought they took a toll on the kick leg.. well not with the Pro1V and there isn't any "lag" whatsoever. I'm super pleased so far and have a two hour Blues Jam tomorrow and Jazz jam Monday and i'm sure my leg won't show fatigue which it was especially on the faster BeBop. As regards price.. yeah it cost me $680 Canadian delivered taxes in but it is a beautiful pice of engineering and machining and has a two year warranty.
Cheers

Many thanks my friend. So I took the plunge and bought the Trick Pro1V conventional. To start, the adjustments are very simple but effective. I set the swing drive arm at the top position which is lightest and backed the tension spring to very light as well and "boom" speed problem solved" I can do the two beat kick drum Samba no problem, well as fast as my steel knee will allow. And, I played it for about and hour yesterday to tracks and no fatigue ! I use a Sonor Safari 16in kick that has a riser. That takes some messing around to get the pedal mount to mesh with the riser but I think i've got it right, but maybe a little more tweaking. Mike Dorfman of Trick has been most responsive and helpful answering my e mails personally with suggestions. I have never used a direct drive pedal before as I thought they took a toll on the kick leg.. well not with the Pro1V and there isn't any "lag" whatsoever. I'm super pleased so far and have a two hour Blues Jam tomorrow and Jazz jam Monday and i'm sure my leg won't show fatigue which it was especially on the faster BeBop. As regards price.. yeah it cost me $680 Canadian delivered taxes in but it is a beautiful pice of engineering and machining and has a two year warranty.
Cheers
Used it for three hour jam Sat and no leg fatigue and easier all around to play than my strap Iron Cobra. Remember however that I have an artificial knee, some Arthritis and i'm 81 so don't blame the Cobra..it's still the easiest conventional spring type i've ever played. But i'm glad I spent the money and because Trick pedals are a niche' thing i'll probably be the only drummer playing one should I suddenly go to that "Big Jam in the Sky"

New Speed King?
Just bought a Trick Pro 1 V which is direct drive like a Speed King and i'm super pleased. First direct drive i've ever owned and love the fact there's no lag. So for my artificial knee and arthritic ankle that means more speed.. well as fast as a steel knee will let me go !
Cheers

I'm very impressed that an 81 year old guy is still out there jamming and sounds just as excited about music, technique and gear as a starry eyed teenager just starting out. As a "youthful" age 57, you've given me hope that I can likewise be flailing away playing heavy metal hair band covers when I'm 81. You Sir, are an inspiration!

I'm very impressed that an 81 year old guy is still out there jamming and sounds just as excited about music, technique and gear as a starry eyed teenager just starting out. As a "youthful" age 57, you've given me hope that I can likewise be flailing away playing heavy metal hair band covers when I'm 81. You Sir, are an inspiration!
Thank you very much. Ya gotta think young. Our woodwind guy is 84 and still has great Jazz chops. He and we still do some BeBop, Latin, Big Band and Classical. If one's health is reasonable then one should "let it all hang out".. figuratively speaking of course because in ones 80s... well you get the picture..

So I'm 81 and after years of Country and light Rock had reconnected with my great love, Jazz. I'm fortunate in that the people I now play with are all current and ex pros and/or educators. We do some BeBop, Modern and soft Jazz all of which I spent many hours studying and playing on YouTube during Covid shutdown. I have Osteo in both hands, wrists with usual deformed fingers but I've been able to regain lot of lost speed and can do solid 2 minute breaks. My problem is my speed on my kick. I have some Osteo in my ankle but my main concern is my knee. I had a full replacement in 2019 and it works fine (I exercise regularly) but is just doesn't operate like the real thing. It's movement is much more restricted especially as regarding pedal speed . Long before the knee was replaced I had bought a Tama Iron Cobra FS900 as it took all the stress off my what was then my bad knee. I love the Cobra as it's almost infinitely adjustable and the strap link makes it very smooth. I just can't get the speed I desire as in 200 BPM for any more than 30 seconds. Doing even a medium fast Samba is really a challenge. The Cobra is also heavy to lug around. So friends and "real time Jazz cats", is there a lightweight, super fast pedal that can solve my dilema ? I appreciate all the input from you fine, experienced folks.
Cheers
AS a foot note,i have been also noticing that the beater has alot to do with the feel,sound,and fluidity of the pedal. i tried a Vic Firth lolly pop hard felt beater,using the edge position,and love the tone of the BD, and i feel it has improved my speed and fluidity . Good Luck

Back