Good brand to get back to playing drums

I haven't had a drum kit in many, many years. The first and only one I had I sold. It was a CB Percussion kit. I had Zilgian cymbals. I had a beautiful nice big Ping Ride Cymbal too. I miss that cymbal everyday. Anyways, I wondered what is a good kit to start off with if I'm getting back into playing drums? I really want to go the acoustic route because they're awesome and I like the feel better. I don't have the money at this point to actually get one but I just wanted an idea of what's out there. I realize it's all about personal preference. I've heard Ludwig is still really popular. I wouldn't mind having a DW drum kit. I just have been out of the loop for a while in terms of what's out there sound wise now. If there are any resources that anyone has that would make the research a bit easier it would be appreciated.

Get a copy of Modern Drummer and go through the ads to see what’s popular. In reality, ANY kit will do once you’re in that $1000-range. So pick something you like (color or sizes) and get it. But the cymbals are where you should spend the money because you can’t make cheap cymbals sound good. Any cheap drumset with good heads and good tuning can sound great, but cymbals are what they are, so I’d point most of the $$$ there. You can probably find a nice used Pearl Export with hardware for $400, then budget new heads and the best cymbals you can afford and be good to go!

Last edited:
Depends primarily on your budget and space limitations. For research, I recommend getting familiar with Sweetwater's online catalogue and Reverb. It gives a rough idea of what's widely available now.

Youtube is your best friend for when you can't hear things in person.

Get a copy of Modern Drummer and go through the ads to see what’s popular. In reality, ANY kit will do once you’re in that $1000-range. So pick something you like (color or sizes) and get it. But the cymbals are where you should spend the money because you can’t make cheap cymbals sound good. Any cheap drumset with good heads and good tuning can sound great, but cymbals are what they are, so I’d point most of the $$$ there. You can probably find a nice used Pearl Export with hardware for $400, then budget new heads and the best cymbals you can afford and be good to go!
This 100%

This 100%
Yamaha Stage Custom Birch is the kit to get if you can afford it. Grab some old As or a set of Paiste PST7s and you are set.
And it’s a steal! $680 for a complete 5-piece kit without hardware. Get that, some Yamaha 7 stands and good cymbals and you’ve spent ALOT less than $2000. Maybe budget $200 for new better heads and you’re all set.

I haven't had a drum kit in many, many years. The first and only one I had I sold. It was a CB Percussion kit. I had Zilgian cymbals. I had a beautiful nice big Ping Ride Cymbal too. I miss that cymbal everyday. Anyways, I wondered what is a good kit to start off with if I'm getting back into playing drums? I really want to go the acoustic route because they're awesome and I like the feel better. I don't have the money at this point to actually get one but I just wanted an idea of what's out there. I realize it's all about personal preference. I've heard Ludwig is still really popular. I wouldn't mind having a DW drum kit. I just have been out of the loop for a while in terms of what's out there sound wise now. If there are any resources that anyone has that would make the research a bit easier it would be appreciated.
As a regular poster on reddit always says, "what's on Craigslist in your town?"
If you feel comfortable telling us what your local CL is, I'm sure there are many on here who'd be happy to help you shop.

If you tell us what general area in Florida you're in, a rough budget, and what kind of music you like to play, some folks here will send you links to decent used kits that are available near you.
This! Try to save a few hundred bucks, so that you can jump on a good used offer once it comes up. There are hundreds of used models that will work for starting again. Then if you stick with it and want something specific, you can sell it in a few years and get your money back. You probably want to get a shell set and most stands locally to save shipping costs (and to check for flaws). Smaller items like a snare or cymbals aren't that expensive to ship but if you can find everything locally, all the better.
Read this to know what to look out for: https://drumheadauthority.com/articles/used-drums-buying-guide/ :)

Sounds like a fun adventure, my first kit was a CB700 in silver.

For the most part everything is still on the table.

Stay away from this short list of companies/items, everything else is still on the table for the most part.

D’Amico
Pork Pie
Remo Mondo series
Spaun
Mapex (also their Janus pedals 🤠)
Peavey
GMS
OCDP
Power toms
Concert toms (I’m still holding on to this last vestige)
Premier may be on their way out (hopefully not🙏 )
Taye?

(Just kidding that’s my ‘youthfulness’ shining through)

Honestly, if you have time there’s ample material here with opinions of tried and true instances for reference.
You can ask us for opinion/experiences if you have some manufactures in mind.
(Sublime flash) - 9B6557F2-178F-427F-9076-97E7B986BC7E.png -

Or go with what you know/knew and start from there, you may come to find something very intriguing to you.

Last edited:
I got my kit gradually, on CL. BD and a two toms, then snare, then floor tom. The whole time I was also looking at cymbals.

I have an older mid-level Yamaha set with Zildjian As, mostly older ones. Doing it gradually allowed me to try things and resell along the way, and kept my costs pretty even.
I chose Yamaha because they have a reputation for quality products, the drums were likely to be round and true and well made, and they still make many parts that may be needed.
I'm very pleased, pretty much the drum set I always wanted, and it didn't really cost all that much. Doing it in stages definitely made it more affordable.
Bonus- once you commit to a few pieces, finding matching pieces can be a bit of an adventure. :D

It's hard to go wrong these days...talking sound-wise and quality-wise...after a certain price point. A great shell pack can be had new for $1,000-1,250. Or more obviously. Be careful spending less on new stuff. There's good deals, like the Yamaha Stage Custom, that will come in under a grand. Just do your due diligence. I'd plan on spending 1000-1250 for just the drums. As long as you stick with a well known manufacturer, a kit at this price point will deliver.

Buy the drums based on your wants. Sizes and finish especially. Looks are King after a certain price point. Quality-wise, the bar is pretty high for drums today, a good thing. Get drums that turn you on visually, like in a big way. You should really want them bad.

Then run it by us here just to be safe

I am not a seller and barely a drummer but, I would be tempted to know what kind of music the OP want's to play and what kind of drummer he likes.

Before I pick a cymbal, I already heard the specific sound I like in a couple of albums, an idea of where to start. For the drums, if I want to emulate Neil Peart, he uses like 25 toms.. probably for me, this would influence the amount of pieces I want to buy for the new drum, right from the start.

Just saying..

Back