Throne Design Flaw

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I wanted to try a new throne. The place we practice has a simple cheap round throne, but I seem to be able to generate more power and balance myself better on it than my Roc-n-Soc. I dunno - it at least seems that way. So I ordered a Tama "Standard" Throne. I thought I would like the memory lock and clamp, too, instead of other simple thrones that have a bolt you must remove, put in another hole, and re-tighten sorta thrones I had in past and what is on our practice kit. Wrong.

I think it has a basic design flaw. The seat does not swivel, but my body does move as I move around the kit. So what happens is the entire post moves back and forth back and forth and no matter how tight you clamp post and tighten memory lock, the post slowly loses height with the action of the back and forth rotation under my weight. And it's a small rotation, but under weight of my body (180 pounds) it causes post to slowly lose height. I thought about not tightening seat onto post but that's just a recipe for a disaster on-stage if I forget it's not secured to post.

Seems a design flaw in this type of design. I'm thinking abut sending back and getting a seat that swivels, but that just about doubles cost.

Any comments, ideas, feedback, laughter?

I enjoy the seemingly laughable lightweight bolt through post type of throne. The height does not change regardless of anything short of complete failure.

If canister thrones weren't big $$$ I'd have one of those. A proper height bar stool with throne seat attached has been burning a hole in the rear of my brain for some time now also. Some day, some day.

I enjoy the seemingly laughable lightweight bolt through post type of throne. The height does not change regardless of anything short of complete failure.

If canister thrones weren't big $$$ I'd have one of those. A proper height bar stool with throne seat attached has been burning a hole in the rear of my brain for some time now also. Some day, some day.
You change height by choosing what hole to put bolt through. Usually 3 or 4 holes. Doesn't allow for small adjustments or any heights between the holes, though. But if I could find one with a round seat that swivels, I'd try it.

Thrones can be hit or miss with stability. I bought a Tama first chair? I think that's what it's called. It has a very thick seat, adjustable backrest, and embroidery. I came to not like it because the seat would twist in the receiver hole from side to side if I shifted my body weight, which has an effect on balance. I then bought a Soundseat and that problem was solved. However, another one appeared because this throne doesn't have a way to lock the swivel -- there's no wingnut built into the collar. This isn't as bad as the seat shifting side to side, but it can be a little annoying with some foot techniques where both feet are opposed in motion. Trouble is, there's no shop close enough that would stock a good selection of thrones. For stability and comfort, from personal experience, I'd suggest the Soundseat.
Soundseat doesn't seem to have any round seats, and that was my initial motivation: a round seat seems to give me more power and I feel less fatigued. I also need it to swivel.

I’m not a big fan of throne seats that can swivel. I know people like those, but according to my chiropractor (and years of playing myself) they are bad for your lower back. Think about it: your lower back is basically trying to balance you as you play. Your feet aren’t helping because they’re moving and your upper torso is swiveling as you go around the kit. So if you have a swiveling seat, your low back is now compromised because it’s trying to support you, but you’re moving it while it tries to support the rest of the body. Eventually it supports, but not at the optimum position so your low back pays the bill over the time.

I suggest spending the money on a proper throne. I have a DW5000 throne that locks tight so it doesn’t swivel, and height adjustment is a spindle which doesn’t move unless you unlock it. You’re the heaviest part of the kit, so don’t cheap out on your support. Short of this throne, my other throne is an old school “bolt through” model which is good because the height is locked, and the seat can be locked from swiveling.

I have a round pork pie throne that I've had for over a decade and it still holds up well and works well. It is a high adjustment spindle/screw type that locks down. I have it locked, but since it has a fabric top it that still allows me to swivel around if I need to turn around and grab something.

Last edited:
I do have a "proper" throne. A Roc n Soc. It's an engineering marvel. I'm just looking for a round seat. The standard Tama has what I perceive to be a design flaw, which is why I started this thread.

I see those screw spindles and they may be want I need.
I’m not a big fan of throne seats that can swivel. I know people like those, but according to my chiropractor (and years of playing myself) they are bad for your lower back. Think about it: your lower back is basically trying to balance you as you play. Your feet aren’t helping because they’re moving and your upper torso is swiveling as you go around the kit. So if you have a swiveling seat, your low back is now compromised because it’s trying to support you, but you’re moving it while it tries to support the rest of the body. Eventually it supports, but not at the optimum position so your low back pays the bill over the time.

I suggest spending the money on a proper throne. I have a DW5000 throne that locks tight so it doesn’t swivel, and height adjustment is a spindle which doesn’t move unless you unlock it. You’re the heaviest part of the kit, so don’t cheap out on your support. Short of this throne, my other throne is an old school “bolt through” model which is good because the height is locked, and the seat can be locked from swiveling.

I do have a "proper" throne. A Roc n Soc. It's an engineering marvel. I'm just looking for a round seat. The standard Tama has what I perceive to be a design flaw, which is why I started this thread.

I see those screw spindles and they may be want I need.
Roc n Soc also makes a round seat top. Maybe you can just get another Roc n Soc with that seat?

Roc n Soc also makes a round seat top. Maybe you can just get another Roc n Soc with that seat?
That may be solution. Thanks, Bo.

I don't understand not wanting a seat that swivels, though. The fact that the seatpost in the Tama rotates a tiny bit, allowing it to slowly slip, is testament to fact that we naturally move and spin a bit when playing. If seat doesn't move then your upper body is swiveling while the base of your spine is anchored, thus causing stress on base of spine. That's why these thrones like the Tama standard start to slip - your body is trying to swivel and forcing the throne to do so. I would think a completely no-spin throne would really torque base of spine and cause issues with spine as your body is naturally trying to move.

Thrones can be hit or miss with stability. I bought a Tama first chair? I think that's what it's called. It has a very thick seat, adjustable backrest, and embroidery. I came to not like it because the seat would twist in the receiver hole from side to side if I shifted my body weight, which has an effect on balance. I then bought a Soundseat and that problem was solved. However, another one appeared because this throne doesn't have a way to lock the swivel -- there's no wingnut built into the collar. This isn't as bad as the seat shifting side to side, but it can be a little annoying with some foot techniques where both feet are opposed in motion. Trouble is, there's no shop close enough that would stock a good selection of thrones. For stability and comfort, from personal experience, I'd suggest the Soundseat.
Same here- scored a Tama First Chair which came with a new (to me) kit and thought it would be the best thing ever but I hated it!
Felt so unstable like I was going to fall off every 10 seconds I went back to my ratty old throne 🤷‍♂️

You change height by choosing what hole to put bolt through. Usually 3 or 4 holes. Doesn't allow for small adjustments or any heights between the holes, though. But if I could find one with a round seat that swivels, I'd try it.
Yeah it's what I use. It doesnt swivel though. I don't want it to. I need the seat to be stationary when I run my feet. I prefer the bolt to a spindle.

Last Fall, I purchased a Roc n Soc pneumatic throne with motorcycle style seat. I liked it so much, I bought the round seat top option to retrofit to my old Ludwig/Gibraltar double braced piano threaded tripod. Both are super comfortable and I'm happy I made these purchases.

Last Fall, I purchased a Roc n Soc pneumatic throne with motorcycle style seat. I liked it so much, I bought the round seat top option to retrofit to my old Ludwig/Gibraltar double braced piano threaded tripod. Both are super comfortable and I'm happy I made these purchases.
Same one here for me. Truly THE most comfortable throne I have. Floats, swivels, super comfortable for my scrawny ass!

That may be solution. Thanks, Bo.

I don't understand not wanting a seat that swivels, though. The fact that the seatpost in the Tama rotates a tiny bit, allowing it to slowly slip, is testament to fact that we naturally move and spin a bit when playing. If seat doesn't move then your upper body is swiveling while the base of your spine is anchored, thus causing stress on base of spine. That's why these thrones like the Tama standard start to slip - your body is trying to swivel and forcing the throne to do so. I would think a completely no-spin throne would really torque base of spine and cause issues with spine as your body is naturally trying to move.
Well, if you didn’t get what I said let me know how your back is doing in 10-15 years, especially if you to get to play gigs 3-4 nights a week all that time.

Everyone is different, I have Roc n Soc, absolute rubbish, my Tama first chair Hfour legs) is a great throne, zero movement.

I think tractor seats are a design flaw. They're an abomination. I used a Roc n Soc for 2 decades. It was always uncomfortable for the nether regions, but it wasn't until I got a round throne that I realized how bad they were.

IT'S THAT STUPID HUMP. Think about it people! You're all being lied to!

Big Throne wants you to think that tractor seats make sense for drummers who have man-parts! It's a conspiracy I tell you!

I'm not crazy! You're crazy!

I think it depends on where you sit on the seat. If you sit on the edge/towards the front round may be better for you. If sit further back on the seat, motorcycle/tractor may be better for you. It's kind of like pedals you don't know what you'll like until you try them.
For me, I sit far enough back that I can sit comfortably with both feet off the ground. That's why I use a tractor throne.

I've used a Tama 1st chair for the last 20+ years (I'm on my second one) and haven't experienced what this thread is about. The spindle doesn't move unless I move it. 1st chairs also have a fitting in the seat clamp that allows you to adjust for the amount of seat swivel. Mine is locked down so that I have to force it to swivel, and doesn't swivel with normal playing.

I think it depends on where you sit on the seat. If you sit on the edge/towards the front round may be better for you. If sit further back on the seat, motorcycle/tractor may be better for you. It's kind of like pedals you don't know what you'll like until you try them.
For me, I sit far enough back that I can sit comfortably with both feet off the ground. That's why I use a tractor throne.

I've used a Tama 1st chair for the last 20+ years (I'm on my second one) and haven't experienced what this thread is about. The spindle doesn't move unless I move it. 1st chairs also have a fitting in the seat clamp that allows you to adjust for the amount of seat swivel. Mine is locked down so that I have to force it to swivel, and doesn't swivel with normal playing.
That pretty much sums my research and instincts so far. Spindle design eliminates post from slipping, and you can choose to clamp (no swivel) or not clamp (swivel). Round seat may allow me to get more power vs tractor/ bike style, since I tend to sit towards front.

Ahead also make a similar seat but with a gap in middle, which is what cyclists use to eliminate pain in that area. I know about that - I'm a long-distance cyclist and ex-cycle racer and those grooves really help on a bicycle.

I have a Tama First Chair for the sole reasons that it has a fixed back rest, tractor style seat and it locks in place.
I've done 4 hour gigs on that thing without breaking a sweat and my lower back loves me.

I have a very plush round throne from OCDP and it's legit comfort for my booty. My lower back complains a bit over time because I tend to slouch on it. So I use that one for the house. ;)

Back