Let's see your POV/ Driver's seat pics

@cbphoto That's an amazing space. Can't even fathom the amount of reverb you get in there.
If the kit is near one wall, there's bad slapback from the opposite wall. So, naturally, it sounds best—and looks best—in the middle of the space. Normally I surround the kit with moving blankets to minimize the room and dry out the audio. The cement floors are very bright, not as sexy as wood. I've made a few recordings as shown and the reverb isn't a deal breaker. Example:

I've made a few recordings as shown and the reverb isn't a deal breaker.
I think that reverb sounds great! But I do love a lively room.

Sounds like you could use some diffusion to break up that first reflection. Bookshelves work great as an alternative to expensive acoustically-marketed panel things.

I've made a few recordings as shown and the reverb isn't a deal breaker. Example:
Is the Starphonic beefier/lower sounding because of the die cast hoops? I'm assuming the heads are identical type and tuning.

I think that reverb sounds great! But I do love a lively room.

Sounds like you could use some diffusion to break up that first reflection. Bookshelves work great as an alternative to expensive acoustically-marketed panel things.
Normally there’s stands and gear strewn about. It helps but it’s not perfect.

Is the Starphonic beefier/lower sounding because of the die cast hoops? I'm assuming the heads are identical type and tuning.
The Starphonic is made by unicorns. And its hoops are rolled steel, not cast. They actually open the drum up nicely. And it does have a throatier sound, but if you notice, the tunings are not identical. I just made each drum produce a sound that was a good representation of itself.

One of my first recordings of it astonished me because of that beefier sound (Different studio, plus I dressed up the sound):

My latest POV pic after some adjustments.
Kit is a Sonor SQ1
Snare is Benny Greb 2.0 Brass
Carter McLean Signature sticks

47E94685-FF2E-4844-B347-75262EBCAEC0.jpeg

Normally there’s stands and gear strewn about. It helps but it’s not perfect.

The Starphonic is made by unicorns. And its hoops are rolled steel, not cast. They actually open the drum up nicely. And it does have a throatier sound, but if you notice, the tunings are not identical. I just made each drum produce a sound that was a good representation of itself.

One of my first recordings of it astonished me because of that beefier sound (Different studio, plus I dressed up the sound):

Actually the Starphonic was originally imported from outside of our atmosphere. The unicorns just stole the engineering design and copied the blueprints during the lockdowns

My latest POV pic after some adjustments.
Kit is a Sonor SQ1
Snare is Benny Greb 2.0 Brass
Carter McLean Signature sticks

View attachment 104538
You are the guy who turned up 180 his kit Bing now in front of the wall I stead of having the wall behind you at the first place, right? I like this way better.

Back