Your Thoughts on throwing Sticks into the Audience?

I’ve been asked for sticks after shows by audience members. Doesn’t happen often, but it does happen from time to time. So I began keeping several old, worn out sticks in my stick bag for this very occasion. If I’m giving away sticks, might as well make them sticks I would have tossed anyway.
Fulfilling a request is a much different scenario. I'd probably surrender a pair unless I thought the person intended to use them as a weapon against me. But launching sticks randomly into a crowd isn't something I'd do. It's like expecting people to want your autograph. That's not my style.

If you put the stick in a air rifle you'll get better accuracy and now they have them that will reach the heights of any stadum-so you'll need a scope. You can see what kind of grouping you can get. I'd use nylon tips I think the wood tips might break too easy and get stuck in someone but that nylon should send the stick right through them so you won't see someone running through the audience with a stick sticking out of their head. You can stick it to them.

Having caught a stick and a few guitar picks as an audience member, I love it.

But if I were on the other side, yeah, I'd be worried about poking an eye out. I think there was an incident with an Iron Maiden show some years ago.

It was certainly a thing way back when. But now it seems most drummers either gently toss a stick or hand them to someone in the front row. Regardless of how many injuries have or have not happened, drummers don't throw them like they used to.

Although I’ve been to sports games where they tell fans that they are not responsible if they get hit by a ball, bat, or puck during the game, I don’t think this extends to concerts. I never have, and wouldn’t do it. I’m always thinkin I’d hit that person who wasn’t paying attention, and it wouldn’t be during a show. I have given people things at the end of the small shows I do though.

I’ve only tried this after the bride and groom’s first dance at a wedding.

It did not go over well. Like it did not go well over their heads, I was short by a few 5As distance.
Like you had no sticks to throw, you hit bride or groom or your toss was a bit too weak so it didn’t work? :D

Having caught a stick and a few guitar picks as an audience member, I love it.

But if I were on the other side, yeah, I'd be worried about poking an eye out. I think there was an incident with an Iron Maiden show some years ago.

It was certainly a thing way back when. But now it seems most drummers either gently toss a stick or hand them to someone in the front row. Regardless of how many injuries have or have not happened, drummers don't throw them like they used to.
There are still some like Josh Dun or Ashton Irwin who do throw it way too hard. Haven’t heard of the Iron Maiden Incident tho.

Actually, AHEAD sticks have more flexibility and a softer feel than wood ones, though I doubt an unassuming audience member would welcome being struck by one.
Wouldn’t have assumed, I thought just in theory that maple causes the less serious injuries (excluding eye injuries) and Ahead the most.

Fulfilling a request is a much different scenario. I'd probably surrender a pair unless I thought the person intended to use them as a weapon against me. But launching sticks randomly into a crowd isn't something I'd do. It's like expecting people to want your autograph. That's not my style.
Wow you’re lucky. But I once gifted and handed a pair of sticks too.

I’ve only tried this after the bride and groom’s first dance at a wedding.

It did not go over well. Like it did not go well over their heads, I was short by a few 5As distance.
There are audience's somewhere again?

Throwing any type of missle will lead to nothing but bad news. After the show, lob them underhanded to folks in the first few rows and make sure they are looking and expecting same.

Although I’ve been to sports games where they tell fans that they are not responsible if they get hit by a ball, bat, or puck during the game, I don’t think this extends to concerts. I never have, and wouldn’t do it. I’m always thinkin I’d hit that person who wasn’t paying attention, and it wouldn’t be during a show. I have given people things at the end of the small shows I do though.
Being hit by a ball, a puck, or other flying object at a sporting event is considered a consequence of the game action. Throwing a stick is not part of a normal concert action.

Back