Three Camps - a quick rendition

oh man...such a great...well...everything!!

touch to history; warm up; cool down; endurance exercise; grid pattern....

nice rendition as well!!!

I don’t stand and play snare but I do notice that the snare height seems rather low compared to your body. At least I think you’re standing up. Do you use a different relative (let’s use your belt buckle as a reference) height when standing vs. sitting? Just curious and wondering if changing the height causes some playing problems.

I noticed this recently when recording myself. It is lower relatively than when I’m sitting. It wasn’t a conscious decision, and when I noticed it I raised it to the same relative level as when I’m sitting and found it uncomfortable.

I don’t come from a marching background, which may explain why I’m not used to a higher standing height. Ultimately it has proven to be the most comfortable playing height for me 🤷

Nice job-you posted something a while back on this topic??? It always reminds me of jingle bells.

Nice job-you posted something a while back on this topic???

Almost certainly. As I said, not coming from a marching background and having only ever studied this sort of material myself, strong, fast, smooth, comfortable doubles have been something I have had to work really hard at. I've doubtless asked for guidance on here about it many times!

Last edited:
I don’t stand and play snare but I do notice that the snare height seems rather low compared to your body. At least I think you’re standing up. Do you use a different relative (let’s use your belt buckle as a reference) height when standing vs. sitting? Just curious and wondering if changing the height causes some playing problems.

at the high school, for marching band, for matched grip, I use the rim being about 3 fingers below the belly button; for traditional grip, the drum is right at the belly button, and then we do about a 15º tilt

I feel like by HS, their arm length to torso length ration is more evened out

for the middle school kids, I just have them raise their fore arms up to a comfortable angle since their arm length-to-body proportions are still wacky...then I just put the drum where their natural bend at the elbow puts their forearms

I also use the middle school placement above for all ages sitting at the set. i then fine tune it by making sure t hat their hhands are hitting no poart of their legs when playing....the "too low set snare" thing has caused many of my friends to have to quit drumming in their 40's and 50's due to back problems. I want to avoid that for my students

@Mighty_Joker 's position does not look bad at all to me

Back