May the 4th...

Pretty much everyone else writes day/ month/ year (you know, in ascending order of duration).
Shouldn't it be ascending order as far as number of units?
Month (12)/Day (28-31)/Year (at least 6000...depending on who you believe)

In what way has the US not adopted metric? Engineering has switched. The UK has adopted some, like food weights, but roads are still measured in miles.
We still use inches, feet, yards, pint, quart, gallon, grams, ounces, pounds.

I did buy a metric hammer not too long ago. It only works in my left hand.

We still buy beer in pints, have road signs in yards, tyres in inches... and of course, most vitally, surfboards and penises in feet and inches.You colonials went decimal with the money asap. We still had pounds, shillings and pence till the 70s. What a nightmare that was!

Before decimalization on 15 February 1971, there were twenty (20) shillings per pound.
The shilling was subdivided into twelve (12) pennies.
The penny was further sub-divided into two halfpennies or four farthings (quarter pennies).
2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6

Last edited:
The US is binary in everything so we use both to keep our population in confusion when they grab a wrench LOL. Metric in sciences for the most part but generally most Americans aren't that use to metric. Some people use both so it translates but in general going from miles to kilometers or inches to centimeters doesn't translate. I use to teach a measurements lab in bio class and the students would have to convert between the two. Now I made the naive assumption that most kids were like me and played with their parent's rulers, measuring cups, etc (which my parents had metric and English), but nope they all looked at me like I was crazy-why would we do that? OMG why aren't we just metric I hated that lab. The English doesn't get much smaller than 1/8 inch so no nanometers or yotcometers of infinitesimally small. I guess Americans are like Texas and everything is big ROFL.

The US is binary in everything so we use both to keep our population in confusion when they grab a wrench LOL. Metric in sciences for the most part but generally most Americans aren't that use to metric. Some people use both so it translates but in general going from miles to kilometers or inches to centimeters doesn't translate. I use to teach a measurements lab in bio class and the students would have to convert between the two. Now I made the naive assumption that most kids were like me and played with their parent's rulers, measuring cups, etc (which my parents had metric and English), but nope they all looked at me like I was crazy-why would we do that? OMG why aren't we just metric I hated that lab. The English doesn't get much smaller than 1/8 inch so no nanometers or yotcometers of infinitesimally small. I guess Americans are like Texas and everything is big ROFL.
'Thou' (sandths of an inch) is common in engineering.
In the UK we use whatever suits: humans - feet and inches for height and 'stones' for weight (not pounds).
I think in imperial and convert to metric if necessary.

I can handle metric modulation, even implied metric modulation. But having command of imperial modulation would really trip me up.

Oh, I get it now! Imperial Command, May the Fourth be against you!

The problem I have is when I stretch out my tape measure the metric side is upside down. Hard to read.
That's why Metricans only build left-handed stuff. (Sorry...I'll stop...tooth issue has me somewhat delirious) ((going in at 3:30))

Back