China Cymbal Tilts Too much

pirreli

When I first got my china cymbal and I mounted it on the stand it could survive a few hits but after a few minutes it would tilt vertically and it worries me since it comes into contact with the metal part of the stand which if I prolong its usage in that state it makes crack any tips to stop it from tilting vertically. I'm using a Pearl wingloc quick release wing nut for it and the nut disconnects leading the cymbal to tilt vertically

If you can't get the Aquarian Cymbal Spring, or until you get it, put extra felts on your cymbal threads. The firmer the felts the better.

The threads in those pearl wing locs will strip out/wear down over time, making them prone to not staying in place under anything more than light use. They probably should have used steel inserts for the threads.

Get the Aquarian Heavy Cymbal Spring. I've had them on my two Wuhan China cymbals since the 80's and they're still going strong.

AquarianHeavy.png

I don’t mean to get a little off topic here, it’s been a month so I feel that it is okay to ask this now: what exactly does a cymbal spring do?

And what would they do for a regular crash cymbal?

I don’t mean to get a little off topic here, it’s been a month so I feel that it is okay to ask this now: what exactly does a cymbal spring do?

And what would they do for a regular crash cymbal?
A Cymbal Spring holds the cymbal so it doesn't rock back and forth against the center rod of a cymbal stand. It essentially prevents keyholing and might possibly leave the cymbal to ring a little more naturally, since there isn't any felt damping the cymbal.

Aquarian makes a red Medium spring intended for crash cymbals, but I've never tried one. They're great for Chinas and I've used them every now and then for a ride cymbal.

A Cymbal Spring holds the cymbal so it doesn't rock back and forth against the center rod of a cymbal stand. It essentially prevents keyholing and might possibly leave the cymbal to ring a little more naturally, since there isn't any felt damping the cymbal.

Aquarian makes a red Medium spring intended for crash cymbals, but I've never tried one. They're great for Chinas and I've used them every now and then for a ride cymbal.
Thank you!

I use an extra cup washer on top of the felt and under the wingnut to help press the felt down a little and keep the china cymbal flat.

Back