Desert Island Snare Drums

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
If you could only keep 2 snare drums from your collection:

What would they be?

And Why?

For me, I’d want to have 1 wood and 1 Metal. If you asked me a few days ago I’d have included my Trusty 14x6.5 Supraphonic as one of the snares.

But I just added the Sonor Benny Greb 2.0 Brass version to go along with my BG 2.0 Beech snare. And after playing it a few days, it’s every bit as versatile as it’s wooden twin.

So my choices are both versions of the Benny Greb from Sonor.

Both snares offer an incredible range of sounds with just a coated Remo Ambassador on top. The 2 muffling materials give a single tuning 3 different feels & sounds. I normally favor snares that are deeper (I have 11 snares, only my BG snares are smaller than 6.5) but these drums can get so many deep and yet are articulate sounds.

I’m thoroughly impressed with Benny Choice for hardware and materials.

So what’s your 2 Desert island snares that could get you through any situation?

03B82667-6841-4084-BA4A-C54AE173531D.jpeg

Last edited:
I would bring my Black Galaxy Acrolite and my DW Collectors Black Nickel over Brass. I feel those two could cover any situation.

5x14 Ludwig Lacquer over Brass 401 w/COB hoops and 6.5x14 Acrolite. Basically all the ranges of metal snare coverage (Black Beauty, Supraphonic, Acrolite), while the deep Acrolite can be tuned for more of a woody sound.

Attachments

• rsz_20210503_204351.jpg
    rsz_20210503_204351.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 4
Can't narrow my selection to two snares. I'm going to need a bigger island.

Ludwig Supraphonic 14x5"....obviously.

Canopus "The Maple" 14x5.5". This snare is soo underrated. I may do a little review of it in the future. It's easily the best wood snare I've ever played.

Yea I’ve almost bought that Canopus snare multiple times and still might

Tama Bell Brass - large enough to cook food and wash my clothes in it.
Sonor D454 - just a good, sturdy snare that will hold up in dry and humid climates. I'll probably forget to take one of those stupid Sonor keys with me, though...

From my collection...

14x6.5 Pearl Masterworks Santos Rosewood or 14x6.5 Pork Pie Steambent Rosewood

14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty

Those would get me through any situation I'd need

These two :
14 x 6” N&C Walnut SS - my go to wood shell snare . It can cover anything I play .

14 x 5” Ludwig Black Beauty engraved by John Aldridge . Tons of sentimental value with this snare . My girlfriend paid for the engraving for my 50th Bday . It also started a great friendship with John Aldridge . 90C4B139-FFB4-4BBC-84BB-B7809CAEB9D5.jpeg1004F43D-EA3B-4449-992C-51FD481951F4.jpeg

Last edited:
@justinhub. My desert island would be made out of your snare collection so it doesn't really matter what snare I'd bring. See island materials below.

Snares: Ludwig Copper Phonic, Black beauty with Brass hardware and tube lugs, Raw Brass Phonic, Supraphonic LM402, Ludwig 110th anniversary exotic Avodire 14x17 Snare, Sonor Benny Greb 2.0, Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite, Gretsch USA Custom Bell Brass 14x6.5, A&F Raw Brass 14x6.5, Ludwig Classic Oak 14x6.5, SCJ "Rise Above" Obey Snare (1/25) Maple Snare 14x6.5

I'm sure I could "dig" up something I'd like. 😁

The real question is where do all the drum heads, sticks and cymbals come from?

I only have two. Both are Mapex, one a Saturn V that matches the toms and bass drum and the other an MPX 13x6 Birch. Peace and goodwill.

I own two snares, but only need one (6.5 x 14 Craviotto maple snare). Tune it high, tune it low, it covers everything. It's very sensitive and has a great side-stick sound.

7x14 -Eames 15ply birch, 70s Ludwig twin channel die-cast hoops, Dunnett R-class 3 way, Vic Firth/Canopus 26, Diplomat snare bot, Ambassador top.
5x14- Acrolite - Ludwig stock, weather master (med), INDe throw off, no internal muff

Coincidently the lightest metal and heaviest wood snare I ever had.

Back