Who’s to blame?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ok general shipping question for those of you who have bought used and had something arrive broken in shipping:

In this case, I have a broken bass drum hoop (that I don’t mind getting fixed) and the principle should be in getting some kind of compensation for it. The seller simply put the drum on a Tuxedo bag, then put it in a 24x24x24 box, stuffed newspapers around it and sealed it up.

obviously, for a 22” bass drum, this is not the 4” standard around the item that UPS and FedEx tell you to do.

now, I have a broken hoop, and the seller has contacted UPS but is telling me to get in touch with UPS to take care of this because I have the broken item and the packing.

problem is, the box shows no damage, this is a stress break (or he broke it before he put it in the box, hard to say), and I know they’re gonna laugh when they see there’s NOT 4” of space around the item.

how would you proceed? I’ve asked the seller for the case # to reference when I call UPS, but haven’t heard back on that issue.

I’m just wondering if I should waste any effort on this. But the principle, right?

You're probably aware that I don't buy preowned gear, but if I were in your position, I'd just get a new hoop independently. Attempting to resolve a damage claim with UPS and an unresponsive seller is a chore with which I wouldn't trouble myself, especially when the evidence suggests that the seller is the source of the breakage. While principles are important, practicality sometimes supersedes them. In my opinion. this is one of those times.

Last edited:
I'd ask the seller for a reimbursement for the amount you feel is adequate. If the seller didn't properly package* and ship the item, the damage falls on them.

*properly packaged could mean by the UPS standards or your own.

I had the hoop crack due to bad handling by UPS, and they ended up giving me something like $75 for it. I had to get the replacement hoop and then show them the receipt. In this case, it was a drum that I shipped to myself. The drums were in my apartment in Los Angeles, and I shipped them to my address in Toronto. The drums were vintage Yamahas from the 70s, and the hoop I got to replace the damaged one was a Pearl.

Depends wether you can put up with the stress and the time consuming effort , and possibly no good outcome , for the principle . If yes, go for it. If not, forget it.

Well, I’ve already moved on by getting the hoop into the repair shop. I suppose I can be the bigger guy and let this one go - but I keep wondering what this guy would’ve done had the whole kit been destroyed or lost - he admitted he only took the usual $100 insurance they automatically cover. This situation could’ve turned out to be a lot worse for me, so I guess I’ll count my blessings.

I’ll trash him when I rate him on Reverb 😈

It's ballache having to deal with people/companies when you've done nothing wrong. Even worse when they go out of their way to avoid you!

If I'm selling anything it's collection only. Couriers aren't paid enough to take care of things and fragile usually translates into beat the shit of this.

I've had a few used gear purchases where seller did not package it well, and drums arrived with obvious shipping damage. I've also had a few used gear purchases where it was obvious the item was damaged to begin with and seller didn't disclose.

A cracked hoop with a poorly protected drum is most likely a shipping issue caused by seller's indifference to need to protect the item.

If it was a Reverb sale, then you can submit request for partial reimbursement and claim value of hoop or at a minimum the cost of repair. A pic of crack and pic of repair receipt or, if claiming replacement, some supporting documentation. Reverb is great at collecting on such claims. Better now because of their new payment system where they deduct such fees from seller's account and their credit card at end of monthly cycle.

I've been on both sides of Reverb with both claims as a buyer and when something went wrong on an item I sold. Actually, on item I sold just once. A buyer found very small tiny cracks in outer ply between some lugs on a nice snare I sold. I never saw the cracks while I owned the snare (they really were small), and I had no hesitation refunding seller.

Mention it to the seller and see what he says. Maybe the seller is just inexperienced shipping drums and doesn't know to pack them better.

There is risk in buying used, lots of different kinds of risk. When I buy used then I tend to accept that something might be wrong or broken. I tend to absorb the loss and fix the thing myself. In my opinion, smaller losses are not worth fighting over.

Don't waste your time.

You're probably aware that I don't buy preowned gear, but if I were in your position, I'd just get a new hoop independently. Attempting to resolve a damage claim with UPS and an unresponsive seller is a chore with which I wouldn't trouble myself, especially when the evidence suggests that the seller is the source of the breakage. While principles are important, practicality sometimes supersedes them. In my opinion. this is one of those times.
Elegantly said as always CM.
If the shell were split or damage to that effect happened, I'd be all over it.
Just a hoop is easily remedied and life will go on.

Gotta go through the reverb dispute process. I have found reverb very helpful. At a minimum the seller should refund the cost of the repair.

moral of the story...always have the seller send a picture of the equipment...pref a video showing close up detail...as well as the intended shipping packaging BEFORE sending payment?

Lack of ethics is painful.

Man, what a pickle.

The only time I've ever been reimbursed by UPS was when they snapped in half a 4-roll bundle of seamless paper. Even then, it took 6 weeks to resolve because the seller waited to be reimbursed by UPS.

Can’t you just buy locally on Craigslist and local eBay? I live in Southwest Virginia, I just have to deal with shipping problems. Lol

Back