Who all makes those convertible straight-to-boom cymbal stands?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I really like those stands that convert from booms to straight cymbal stands. Who all makes them? And what series of those brand names should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Gibraltar 6709 boom stand. Memory locks on all points, very sturdy though they are reasonably heavy.

Most companies have them, Pearl and Gibraltar are my go-to stand brands.

I don't think anyone makes a NON-converting boom anymore other than off-brand companies. I've used the same Yamaha convertible boom stands (CS755) for going on 30 years now with few issues. I also have a few Gibraltar booms in my collection and they do the job.

I’ll clarify. My more run of the mill four piece configuration also uses convertible boom stands with no issue. They certainly have a place.

My larger, rack based setup utilizes a lot of cymbal arms. With those convertible tubes, you lose a few degrees on the adjustment spectrum, so sometimes you will also have to move a down tube to get something positioned right. In tighter configurations, this can set off a chain reaction of positioning adjustments. For transport and setup, it’s a drag to have to pull the boom arm all the way in and out. You also lose a potential memory lock point. These points of increased set up and tear down time adds up to be a real concern with larger set ups, especially in situations where you dont have a lot of time or space to stage your gear, and you need to get on and off stage in a hurry.

I have a Ludwig Atlas Classic convertible stand, and it’s the one bad product in the Atlas Classic line. The clamp joint that converts doesn’t clamp securely, I had to jam a metal shim in there.

Tama.

pen_HC83BW_00_01.png

feat_Roadpro_Convertible_Tilter.jpg

I have a Ludwig Atlas Classic convertible stand, and it’s the one bad product in the Atlas Classic line. The clamp joint that converts doesn’t clamp securely, I had to jam a metal shim in there.

Thanks for letting me know. I was looking at the Atlas stands.

I got a generic brand from GC back in the day for about $30. 10 years later they are still functioning fine.

Mine are from PDP, inexpensive but very functional.
However, they will likely be replaced with Yamaha stands when/if they fail.

Back