Cymbal Larger Than Bass Drum

I have what is probably a weird hang up. I usually don't like the idea of having a larger cymbal than my bass drum. I use a 20" drum, so my ride and crashes are all 19" & 20". I've been messing around with my buddy's 22" K Dark ride and I love it, but I can't bring myself to throw it up on my kit.

Does anyone else have this hang up?
Mate, if it sounds good throw it up on the kit and smash it!! (y) :D

Indirectly, though I don't define it as a hang-up. I always play a 22" bass, and I've never had a ride larger than 22", so at most, my ride and bass have had the same measurements on occasion. I just don't want to drag a ride larger than 22" to gigs and so on.

My current ride is 21", a great compromise between 20" and 22".

Are we joined at the hip or what!. Im using a 22" 2002 or a 20"zildjian k but am lusting over a 24" 2002 ride. It does bug me that I'll be flying the 24 over my rinky dink 22..its a cosmetic thing and so much so that it's a sickness. I read all posts and gain some strength and insight from more stable mindsets.

Now I don't, but when I has an 18 inch bass drum, I had a 19" crash and 20" ride. I never even thought about it. Peace and goodwill.

Personally I love the look of a large ride just like this setup from Tim Metz

6b9w57Q.png

For jazz these large cymbals, for anything else I don't have a clue.

I guess I get caught up on the aesthetic a little bit and it makes the drum look smaller. But you're all correct. The sound is what should matter.
I appreciate all of your input! I think I'm going to try to borrow my buddy's cymbal for a couple of days and see how it goes.

I'll report back.
IMO the ride cymbal should look like a patio umbrella protecting the bass drum from rain. Beauty-beholder thing I guess.

I have what is probably a weird hang up. I usually don't like the idea of having a larger cymbal than my bass drum. I use a 20" drum, so my ride and crashes are all 19" & 20". I've been messing around with my buddy's 22" K Dark ride and I love it, but I can't bring myself to throw it up on my kit.

Can't say "I do".;)

I've got 16 and 18 inch bass drums (and 20, 22, 24, 26), and I'm just fine using a 20, 21, or 22 inch rides with them.

Back