Can't take PDP seriously somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought much about PDP knowing they were kind of a down range line. I will say that they have some not so good looking lugs. A guy I know in Vegas has a set of PDP's and he's got the DW bass reso head on them too! :ROFLMAO:

I never thought much about PDP knowing they were kind of a down range line. I will say that they have some not so good looking lugs. A guy I know in Vegas has a set of PDP's and he's got the DW bass reso head on them too! :ROFLMAO:
If many people are buying PDP drums and sticking on a DW bass drum reso, that says a lot about the brand.

I completely agree with Fritz here, I'd never consider a kit from them myself (or even hardware/snares, but especially a drumkit), even though I know they sound good and are quite competitive for the price. I'm just vain and superficial in the regard that I want a kit from a good, well-known brand. PDP are supposed to be a cheap alternative to higher-end kits/well-known brands, as far as I see it. In my eyes, that also makes them just that, "cheap", by default. It's basically the tag I've put on them (and seems to me, quite a few others), and I doubt that will change. Even when they had the Platinum series. But I am sure a good portion of their buyers, which I guess is mostly teenagers/new drummers, don't care all that much about the brand of their drumkit and are happy campers either way. I'd much more would buy a cheaper Mapex kit if given the choice, at least they make kits in the whole "quality spectrum" and are definately a more reputable brand (now), even though they as well suffer a bit in that way compared to other big, well-known brands. All my opinion though, sorry if I stepped on any toes here.

I've played and owned several PDP kits over a 10 or so year span, they were great sounding drums and I never had an issue one with them. I own an Epiphone and it sounds fantastic. Had a Squier many years ago, also sounded fantastic.
I think some people disregard the budget lines simply because of the word budget. They don't give them a fair shake because of that simple word "budget".
I've noticed in this thread that some of that reasoning is based on judgements from others about your personal choices, that's something those folks should work on and not disparage a brand because of their insecurities.
I'll never pay for name brand anything unless it's clearly shown, over time and with use, to be worth the upcharge.

I completely agree with Fritz here, I'd never consider a kit from them myself (or even hardware/snares, but especially a drumkit), even though I know they sound good and are quite competitive for the price. I'm just vain and superficial in the regard that I want a kit from a good, well-known brand. PDP are supposed to be a cheap alternative to higher-end kits/well-known brands, as far as I see it. In my eyes, that also makes them just that, "cheap", by default. It's basically the tag I've put on them (and seems to me, quite a few others), and I doubt that will change. Even when they had the Platinum series. But I am sure a good portion of their buyers, which I guess is mostly teenagers/new drummers, don't care all that much about the brand of their drumkit and are happy campers either way. I'd much more would buy a cheaper Mapex kit if given the choice, at least they make kits in the whole "quality spectrum" and are definately a more reputable brand (now), even though they as well suffer a bit in that way compared to other big, well-known brands. All my opinion though, sorry if I stepped on any toes here.
As a teen, I'd have killed to have the selection and quality available these days. At the same time, I learned a lot from the experience of playing on shabby sets.

I've played and owned several PDP kits over a 10 or so year span, they were great sounding drums and I never had an issue one with them. I own an Epiphone and it sounds fantastic. Had a Squier many years ago, also sounded fantastic.
I think some people disregard the budget lines simply because of the word budget. They don't give them a fair shake because of that simple word "budget".
I've noticed in this thread that some of that reasoning is based on judgements from others about your personal choices, that's something those folks should work on and not disparage a brand because of their insecurities.
I'll never pay for name brand anything unless it's clearly shown, over time and with use, to be worth the upcharge.
sure they sound great, but as I said there are more factors to a drum than its sound.

DW themselves label PDP as a lesser brand than them so it's not really people's fault that it's seen as a lesser brand. Same thing with Gibson and Fender, they maintain their reputation as a top end manufacturer. Doesn't help that the original instrument that made the brands famous are in ther actual lineup and not their lower line and look different than the kits in the lower priced brand.

I didn't mean to sound condescending but they (PDP) weren't around when I was a broke, struggling musician. I've since worked for 40+ years, retired and have the cash to pretty much buy what I want now, within reason. I did check out my friend's PDP. It's a budget kit. Just because someone buys a high quality product it doesn't mean they're insecure. At my age I like to think I've been around long enough and have done enough research on things I might want to buy. There's something to be said for quality. I know crap when I see it and I'm not spending my money on it.

Same here: I’ve had four DW Collectors kits and was never enamoured with the tones I got. I hated the maple snares even more. I kept trying them because I thought it was me. It’s probably me AND them, but I’m done with DW. Love the pedals though.
LOL, Hold on! Didn't you just put fresh tung oil on your DW's and upgrade the bolts? Getting ready for the sale?

Just because someone buys a high quality product it doesn't mean they're insecure.
Not what I was referring to, I was referencing those that dismissed it entirely simply because of potential judgements or the word "budget". That is personal insecurity.
sure they sound great, but as I said there are more factors to a drum than its sound.
Most would agree that sound is the big #1, after that comes hardware and build quality. PDP lacks in neither in my experience. DW didn't skimp except on labor, they went out of the US to save on the bottom line.

Not what I was referring to, I was referencing those that dismissed it entirely simply because of potential judgements or the word "budget". That is personal insecurity.

Most would agree that sound is the big #1, after that comes hardware and build quality. PDP lacks in neither in my experience. DW didn't skimp except on labor, they went out of the US to save on the bottom line.
too generic for my taste. has literally 0 things going for it. i almost put sound as the last thing i care about because i know modern kits sound great and they all sound alike. i like drums with a history, or iconic drums. drums with something more than sound to the whole package that makes them worth buying. PDP is generic, has no history and also is a budget brand, so it ticks 0 boxes for me. i would rather get a gretsch or yamaha equivalent that don’t market themselves as a budget version of something superior and do their own thing.

also don’t get your point on insecurity, i don’t think that has much to do with what drums people like

PDP has shown more then once (see my sum-up a few posts over the last 25 years that its far from generic and actually do their own thing.

I don’t see it being marketed as solely a budget brand. Not much different than the Stage Custom line for entry/semi pro drummers for instance.

The only big difference is that its another brand that is linked to a major brand.

And that being a factor is something between the ears, a preference if you will.

It’s not factual.

I will say this.... I would LOVE to go to a show, see a drummer rock the sh*t out of a Concept Maple kit...and say "yup, I play PDP, that's all I need" while he drops the sticks and exits the stage to a thunderous applause.

I'd have way more respect for him than a guy with Collectors series exotic drums that can't keep time.

My concept maple kit was shipped to me with the DW reso head. I'm tempted to add a smaller custom made sticker that says by PDP.

I would LOVE to go to a show, see a drummer rock the sh*t out of a Concept Maple kit...and say "yup, I play PDP, that's all I need" while he drops the sticks and exits the stage to a thunderous applause.
One of my favorite drummers, Chris Mars, from one of my bands, The Replacements, when interviewed by Musician magazine for a story back in 1987, had this to say for the section where they discussed their gear:
Chris - "Sears drums -- that's all I can say."

My big takeaway from this thread is that the drum shell itself doesn't much matter nearly as much as the brand. Not even close.

How pathetic. How entitled. How short-sighted. Brand loyalty rivals religion in it's fervor

Massive misplaced priorities

The PDP was introduced as a competitive less expensive brand because it was made by computerized machines in China with less expensive resources rather than more hand-made and more expensive resources in US. So the "lesser" is just cost savings not really a reflection of quality I'd argue. I think I'd rather have robotic /laser surgery than some human surgeon for cancer brain surgery LOL. Just because it's produced for less doesn't mean it's less. I think that's how the logic has been flowing it's cheaper it's a piece of crap. But look at how many people gig with the lesser produced drums by all brands rather than take out their pride and joy. Really nowadays the question should be is paying more really worth it when you can buy great sounding kits for less. I think limiting resources inevitably means more and more the differences between drums will be less as far as materials but more in design/mass/acoustics and quality control. It's all in our heads there is no escaping it. When I sit on a kit all I see is heads. The sound I hear is in my head-a limited frequency representation of the reality produced by musical instruments. The reasons I buy a drum kit all in my head. I'd like to do an experiment of blind-fold drum kit selection-where people will be clueless of brand-just playing drums in a booth to music and then they rate different kits-sort of like the flannel boys but blind folded. I bet we'd all be surprised at outcomes-but I'm usually wrong so that just means you won't be surprised ROFL. I think " brand loves" are just memes some people propagate affirming their preferences. I was getting all kind of GAS to try different brands because I was falling for the bait-but now realize the insanity. I still rather spend more on cymbals and snare than the rest of kit if I had to set priorities.

Last edited:
I almost forgot they even had a Solid Shell in their line up.

1618405548009.png

When they were made in Mexico, in the starting days, and were called Pacific Drums.

It has a Birdseye Maple vineer and still would save you big bucks compared to Craviotto, and even DW/Craviotto's, yet get you that special Solid Sound.

I expect these came from Vaughncraft, who also made the solid shells for DW after Johnny started for himsel.

These were hand made by Mexican labour which was basically more expensive than Made In China, but still not cost effective enough compared to Made In The US.

I just stumbled upon this old topic. I agree with the OP. It has been bugging me for years. I played one..it was 'good'.
Everyone who owns one and tries to sell it advertises it as "by DW". Pathetic. The real nutters always swap out the bass drum head for a DW.

The AMF Harley Davidson of Drums.

The AMF Harley Davidson of Drums.
This would imply that PDP was unreliable, poorly assembled, and prone to failure without notice. Not the case in my use of PDP products.
The more apt comparison would be that DW is like Harley in that it's overpriced, everything is an option that costs more, and most buy it simply for the name.

Full Disclosure: I was a Harley tech for many years and after what I saw come into the shop and the issues the bikes had, you couldn't give me one. I'll stick with my super reliable Yamaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back