The most beautiful drum shells finishes

I tend to like the vintage looking sparkles and oyster wraps, they're just so timeless. I also like some of the simpler wood burst and fade finishes.
Lately I've been fixating on this Vintage Blue Oyster wrap.
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 5.25.53 PM.png

Are these two photos the same kit? The top picture looks redder (if that's a word). What is this finish called?
No, the top kit is a Gretsch Brooklyn in Satin Walnut Duco, while the bottom kit is a USA Custom in Satin Antique Maple.

Il like this simple yet subtile finish : Yamaha Polar White, it's close to my old Signia, though richer and whiter.

The Tama Birdseye maple is something that should definetely be reissued.

Attachments

• polar.jpg
    polar.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 15
I like sparkles and glitters... Pretty much any color. Pinks and purples are fun, black is classic. I do enjoy me some satin flames. Oh yea... Any kind of metal shell looks beautiful to me.

Hmm?...for me it would be that! Color. I've seen alot of orange jazz guys. Country drummers using white. I'd take that violet in a heart beat.

If Gretsch would bring back the Moonglow Satin Flame (it was mostly silvery, grey blue) it might be popular with those who prefer vintage looking 1960s marine pearl, vintage marine pearl, sky blue pearl, black marine pearl and the Ludwig vintage oyster pearl wraps. Really like a lot of the pearl and marine type finishes. Since I'm going to go used on a Gretsch or a Ludwig , I won't have the luxury of being picky about color. (hopefully NOT orange or purple). (saving my money so can't consider anything right now)

Last edited:
Three kits I currently own are my all time favourite finishes . Birdseye Maple has been a favourite of mine for years . I had a Birdseye Ludwig kit previously but this one is just outstanding and it has an inner veneer of Birdseye on each drum as well .

Everyone on here should know of my fondness for N&C Drums , the Walnut Classic series are my favourite N&C drum series now . I am waiting on the matching Toms to go with this bass drum I just acquired a few months ago.

Lastly - my absolute favourite all time drum set Gretsch USA Custom in the recently (2021) released Caribbean Twilight finish . I love burst finishes and have been an admirer of Gretsch’s Caribbean Blue finish . This scratched both itches in one finish . Pictures just do not do this finish Justice they do not capture the sparkle in the black portions of the shell . This set truly sounds fantastic .View attachment 121929View attachment 121930View attachment 121931View attachment 121932View attachment 121933View attachment 121934
Man I keep seeing those yamaha stands everywhere. They must really be lightweight, but sturdy. I'm assumming they are hollow inside. Sweetwater reviews look good too. Did you buy them in a bundle or separated?

Back