Rivets on left 20" or right 22"?

Godi

Hi

I'm thinking at putting two rivets on one of my "jazz" cymbals, but I have the doubt of in wich one: the 20"on left or the 22" on right?
None of the is good, so that's no problem.

I suposse is more usual on the 22", but I also think that the right one is the one I'm going to use more, and that can be a little "too much" sizzle all the time.
Any advice?

Thanks

Get a light metal chain from the hardware store (or your kitchen sink) and experiment. :)
Do you mean expensive when you say that neither one is "good"? If they sound equally good, then install rivets to the less valuable one. Or just keep using the metal chain.

I agree, start experimenting with a chain. You can buy special chains for this e.g. from Meinl, if you don't want to got the "cheap route".

I use chains instead of rivets, simply because I just don't want to cut holes into my rides. Usually, the chain is on my left side ride.

I have already tried with some (cheap) chains, but I have also a Zildjian Beautiful Baby with 3 rivets, and the sound is completely different, I rather the rivets a lot

If the chain is too heavy, which can be the case, try a coin and tape. That "gadget" is more sensitive than most chains.

I have come to realize that for my personal use that 1 or 2 rivets at most are what I prefer . I recently picked up a 20” Paiste Masters Dark crash ride with 6 rivets . This many rivets just overpowers the stick sound . I am removing all but one rivet on this cymbal .

I have also a Zildjian Beautiful Baby with 3 rivets
Ohh, that's a lovely sounding Ride (based on the two copies I've been able to try). Why not use that one?
I think a chain is still a good indicator - not the same as rivets but you get an idea how the cymbal responds.
If you want to find out how the chain differs from real rivets, put some tape on the Beautiful Baby's rivets so they don't respond. Then use a chain on it. This might make it easier to decide which of your two other cymbals works better with rivets. I agree that it should be not too heavy but if it's extremely light, you'll only have a lot of wash and little definition.

Well, I'm actually selling my "BB", I find it a little too bright for my taste, even a little "gongy". Whenever I put it in the set, end I not touching it
I think I'm having no luck with any of my Zildjians acquisitions

Oh this is a riveting thread LOL. Three rivets tops-one or two better-make sure you put them so not in your sticking area. At least an inch and half to two inches from edge and an inch apart. If I did three I'd do a triangle grouping-but three is a lot it get be too much washy-sizzle. I like rivets on a cymbal too-back in the day I used brass now I order those Zildjian stainless steel ones. Good luck.

Simple answer: which of the two cymbals sounds best without any rivets? That's the cymbal you should add rivets to . . . . . in moderation.

Rivets will make a good sounding cymbal sound better, and will make a bad sounding cymbal sound worse.

My question, actually, was more a "teorical one", where is better to have rivets, on the more used 22 on the right side, or on the less used 20 on the left?

Well, I'm actually selling my "BB", I find it a little too bright for my taste, even a little "gongy". Whenever I put it in the set, end I not touching it
I think I'm having no luck with any of my Zildjians acquisitions
Maybe you should look at other cymbal makers then. Bosporus, Istanbul, Sabian, Meinl,... There are lots of options out there - and quite a few amazing sizzle-rides.

For me, most Zildjians are too bright and cold in character. Istanbul Agop and Mehmet e.g. have a significantly lower pitch and warmer sound in general.

I use chains instead of rivets, simply because I just don't want to cut holes into my rides. Usually, the chain is on my left side ride.

This for me as well. R&D guys did a lot of work designing the cymbal for it's intended use. The last thing they need is me making amateur mods to what they worked so hard on.

The chain does the same effect. I have a couple of them with different ball diameters for a different sound. ACE Hardware is the place as they have miles of ball chains for you to choose from.

This for me as well. R&D guys did a lot of work designing the cymbal for it's intended use. The last thing they need is me making amateur mods to what they worked so hard on.

The chain does the same effect. I have a couple of them with different ball diameters for a different sound. ACE Hardware is the place as they have miles of ball chains for you to choose from.

I use chains as well, just some ones I picked up at Home Depot. Its not perfect but works. I don't want to start drilling random holes on expensive cymbals, I've only done this to experiment on cheapos and prevent further cracking. Are the any guides or tutorials on recommendations for rivets? There are so many options on placement, clusters, rivet sizes...

There are also sizzlers, which I've never used before. Not a new concept but Cherry Hill had a really nice brass one (but expensive) but I don't see it offered any more...it may be inflexibly to crashing though.

There are also sizzlers, which I've never used before. Not a new concept but Cherry Hill had a really nice brass one (but expensive) but I don't see it offered any more...it may be inflexibly to crashing though.

I've seen a few of those, but never really pursued them. I just use a chain with bigger balls (giggity) to get a louder effect.

As for rivets, I've seen other players use pop rivets that they cut off before they're fully expanded & that sizzled pretty well. Of course, that's after drilling the holes & I for one don't like doing that.

or the less interesting one.

That makes me understand why one of my factory rivet cymbals is a rivet cymbal. It’s a great symbol without rivets but with one rivet it’s a head turner. The Turks knew.

I have already tried with some (cheap) chains, but I have also a Zildjian Beautiful Baby with 3 rivets, and the sound is completely different, I rather the rivets a lot

In my experience a chain is not comparable to rivets. Chains choke the cymbal and the sizzle sound is heavier. Not louder, but heavier as in less finesse, less breath. Years ago I made a dumbed down version of that Cherry Hill sizzler to test a cymbal. It sounds like real rivets.

Don’t laugh too hard. ? This is the most MacGyver piece of drum gear I’ve ever cobbled together but it works for testing...

22831B98-0522-450F-A502-5C2A1B78313D.jpeg

Back