A Brisk 5/4 Riff Thing

This is pretty awesome! Your playing is tight and builds nicely.

How big is that ride cymbal? Is it just the perspective that makes it look kinda huge?

I like the tone of the bass. Cool song.

My buddy Warren, who plays guitar in the Rush tribute, wrote a riff in 5/4, and was asking for drummers to play along with it. He ended up sending me twenty-second-long snippets of two riffs, which I cut and edited together to make a 2-minute long thing.

Solid dude!

And I'm still trying to learn mandy by Berry Manilow. Slow!....down! Young man...your gonna get hurt!. I'd try that but I'm afraid I'd throw my back out. Dweezil Zappa! Will be calling you.

My buddy Warren, who plays guitar in the Rush tribute, wrote a riff in 5/4, and was asking for drummers to play along with it. He ended up sending me twenty-second-long snippets of two riffs, which I cut and edited together to make a 2-minute long thing.

Very cool. However, isn't that a 5/8 groove? I always think of 5/4 being similar to 4/4 but with an extra beat added in. To me, what you were playing would be considered 5/8.

This is pretty awesome! Your playing is tight and builds nicely.

How big is that ride cymbal? Is it just the perspective that makes it look kinda huge?

Thanks! The ride here is a 22" Artisan Medium, but I filmed it with a GoPro pretty close to the kit, so it has a tendency to make things look pretty weird.

Very cool. However, isn't that a 5/8 groove? I always think of 5/4 being similar to 4/4 but with an extra beat added in. To me, what you were playing would be considered 5/8.

I mean it totally could be, but I guess the song was written with 5/4 in mind, so I'm just saying what the riff's writer is saying. Doesn't really make any difference until you write it down anyway. Latin music is generally written in cut time, which is most of what I've been doing lately, so I guess it sort of follows that in a way.

Last edited:
I have a guitarist friend who sends me funky guitar loops to play and mix to.

Does your guitarist friend want any more interpretations of this 5/4 vamp? I would LOVE to take a shot at this riff. This stuff is right up my alley.

I could make a clean video playhrough, with V Drums!

Wow..your kit brought back fond memories of Johnny Winters Live and album cover. Your snare sounds nice! as well as the rest of Bobby Caldwells kit!. Nice job on the riff..you definitely have talent.

Back