Round/square edge bass hoops

Yamaha Rider

Platinum Member
Despite the generally gorgeous metalwork on the 90s Stage Custom - the bass drum claws are shoddy looking little stampings.
Tried distracting the eye with T bar rods - but no-one makes ones long enough to fit, apparently.
So - I'd like to switch to the 'wing' type claws - eg:Screenshot_20210302-110149.jpg
but they all seem to be for round-edge hoops.
Can you buy these to fit square edge hoops? Or am I to be frustrated again? ?

Maybe wedge a thin flat piece of wood in there and give a few light taps with a rubber mallet. It should 'form' the rounded part of the claw into a more flat profile.

Another option is to get a different style of claw. The heavy die cast claws from DFD are flat, the claws that came on my pearl midtown were flat, and the claws that came on my tama club jam mini were flat.

Maybe wedge a thin flat piece of wood in there and give a few light taps with a rubber mallet. It should 'form' the rounded part of the claw into a more flat profile.

Another option is to get a different style of claw. The heavy die cast claws from DFD are flat, the claws that came on my pearl midtown were flat, and the claws that came on my tama club jam mini were flat.
Aha, thanks. Looks like the 'wing' type (that I like the trad look of ) with two claws is only for round edges - the ones you mentioned are all single claw I think.
I wonder why?
I haven't bought these btw. I noticed the shape from photos.

Aha, thanks. Looks like the 'wing' type (that I like the trad look of ) with two claws is only for round edges - the ones you mentioned are all single claw I think.
I wonder why?
I haven't bought these btw. I noticed the shape from photos.

I've noticed that as well and also have no idea why. Any wing style claw with two 'fingers' is rounded while any single 'finger' modern style claw is flat. I'm sure there are exceptions but that is a 98% accurate generalization.

Drat, foiled again, curses, why me?, etc etc

Try sending an email to dfd and precision drum explaining the issue and asking if they could check their different options. You could spend a lot of of money, time, and frustration just blindly trying different claws or they could look for you. I've had great success with dfd's customer service, I'm sure they call tell you which of their 'vintage style' claw options has the flattest 'fingers'.

Try sending an email to dfd and precision drum explaining the issue and asking if they could check their different options. You could spend a lot of of money, time, and frustration just blindly trying different claws or they could look for you. I've had great success with dfd's customer service, I'm sure they call tell you which of their 'vintage style' claw options has the flattest 'fingers'.
You do realise, that like many of the world's most awkward customers, I've positioned myself on an island on the far side of the Atlantic?

Last edited:
You do realise, that like many awkward customers, I've positioned myself on an island on the far side of the Atlantic?

Oh blast, sorry man. I seem to always forget that this isn't just a US forum. I have to start looking at locations before I reply haha!

Well unfortunately your best bet may be my first response: thin piece of metal or wood that the claw loosely fits over and a few light taps with a rubber mallet. Should flatten them out a bit without damage.

Last edited:
Hey...have them brass plated at a metal shop..or maybe powder coated somewhere. You could even spray them white..i saw Joey Kramer using a 4 piece DW kit blue sparkle with white hardware...it was flipping gorgeous!

Oh blast, sorry man. I seek to always forget that this isn't just a US forum. I have to start looking at locations before I reply haha!

Well unfortunately your best bet may be my first response: thin piece of metal or wood that the claw loosely fits over and a few light taps with a rubber mallet. Should flatten them out a bit without damage.
Well, if it works on Cadillacs ... ?

Most bass drum hoops have a round side and a flat side. The flat side goes against the head and thr round side into the claws, which are rounded. My Gretsch bass hoops are round one side flat the other, but we've had this convo before. Check you hoops to be sure.

Hey...have them brass plated at a metal shop..or maybe powder coated somewhere. You could even spray them white..i saw Joey Kramer using a 4 piece DW kit blue sparkle with white hardware...it was flipping gorgeous!
Here's the look I'm going for - Gretsch has these beautiful cast claws. ?2314F213-CB63-4B76-986F-DB9EA7F2CD17.jpeg.jpg
But, again, round edge hoops. ?

Most bass drum hoops have a round side and a flat side. The flat side goes against the head and thr round side into the claws, which are rounded. My Gretsch bass hoops are round one side flat the other, but we've had this convo before. Check you hoops to be sure.
Some, rather than most, I think. My Yamaha's are flat - as are the claws.

My Premier signia had claws for flat edged hoops. Check premier out as well. Hopefully you'd like that style?. Not as ornamental as the gretsch but a bit richer looking than your current set.

Back