Am I too old to start drumming?

Im 47 and have only going on 2 years under my belt .do i wish i could have started at a younger age yes but it wasnt in the cards .i grew up living in apartments .but i love playing the drums it has been a challenge for me

@Kitty44a
If you can generate a lot of noise, It's not a thing for the introverted, what you do is almost dictated by the tolerance threshold of others.

Playing GreenGay for instance it's very high volume thing, I play low volume jazz and I barely can support it without massively insulated headphones like these.

pfvfqfN.jpg

With the headphones I really can enjoy playing and I can listen to the music play along in them too, they are a real blessing. And it's possible to partially cover they ear too, in order to hear more of the nice sounds of the acoustic drums, at the desired level.

Because the sound can be really nice too, if it's not noise.

Ah an it can be seriously fun and rewarding too.

Never too late. That's not even old. If you were 64 I'd still tell you to go for it.

You may have missed the boat on being a teenage heartthrob on the cover of Tiger Beat magazine. But you can still have plenty of fun as a drummer.

As a fellow mom who started at an older age (37), definitely go for it! I was pregnant when I went to my first lessons with a teacher. I did it for 6 months and due to some complications I had to stop, but after having my son and waiting until he went to preschool, I picked it back up. I had gotten enough out of the lessons that I was able to continue on my own for a while. I finally got to the point where I could play through a song and it got better from there. I would practice about an hour a day when he was at school which started out as only two days a week then progressed to three, then four and now he's in elementary school so I get to mostly practice 5 days a week. I went back to the teacher a couple of years ago and he came to my house so it was super convenient. Once COVID hit we had to stop, but I continue to practice almost everyday. I also purchased an e-kit a couple of years ago for quieter practice.

Do it for sure! I totally recommend getting a basic used kit (drums, hardware, cymbals) and start with basic beats. You'll figure out quarter notes and eighth notes quickly enough to have fun. I agree with a previous poster that the goal is probably playing along with simple songs so I would discourage you from worrying about rudiments and practice pads until several months have passed. That stuff is for working out more intricate stickwork whereas the basic used kit is for having fun right from the beginning. Acoustic would be my first option but consider an electronic set (or hanging some sound absorbing blankets around the room) if noise is an issue. Enjoy!

I read a study where 44 Y/O people are at the perfect age to take up drumming. Not 45. Not 43. 44. So yea, great timing :p

Also, don't think of it as being nervous.

You are actually feeling excitement.

Also, completely dump any worry today and replace it with constructive, positive thoughts about how great it will feel.

For me, when my body just refuses do do something I'm telling it to do...that cracks me up and I have to overcome it. That's the fun part for me. It's nothing anyone should be worrying about.

Drums are first and foremost, a fun instrument to play. Have fun! Whoppee! You're feeling all different kinds of excitement, and that's great. Stifling that would be kind of un-natural, and could make you sick even. So now you have to go through with it loI. I don't believe it's true worry that you are feeling, it's just all this energy. That's your fuel. Don't stamp down your own excitement, it's OK to let it run wild.

Worrying about parachuting out of an airplane...that's worry lol.

Last edited:
DEFINETLY! Its never to late to learn! Lots of pad and double/single pedal practice should help your limb independence. Good luck!

Worrying about parachuting out of an airplane...that's worry lol.
As a jumpmaster and parachute addict, I disagree. That is not a worry, that is the source of the greatest rush you'll ever experience.
Also, you're never too old for anything.

Im 61.
Well apart from trying violin or cello! Played bass all my life, played drums and violin at school then gave up (odd combo but hey) and a couple years ago wanted to try somethin else.
So Violin. Totaly impossible with my pudgy mits. Cello?....what a beautiful but bazaar instrument, I couldn't even get it to make any sound :rolleyes:and Im pretty darn musical..... Anyway long story short I bought a drum kit and now in a band having a blast.
Your never too old.... haha (within reason....)

As a jumpmaster and parachute addict, I disagree. That is not a worry, that is the source of the greatest rush you'll ever experience.

I can certainly imagine why you like it. But it's not for everyone. It's easy for you at this point and you love it and you probably are great at it. I'm guessing you really dig the adrenaline rush part, why else would you jump out of a plane? I imagine that being the greatest rush there is. But not everyone can handle that amount of rush. I know I couldn't. I am of the mind that if I do something, and I could die if a piece of equipment fails, then yea, I'm concerned. Maybe even a bit worried about what could happen if things didn't go as planned. That applies to things like driving too, but I need to drive. Jumping out of a plane...I've never needed to do yet, that's optional. I can get that feeling on a roller coaster too. I can only tolerate so much adrenaline.

They had an amusement park ride called free fall. It only lasted maybe 3 seconds. I couldn't handle that, didn't like it. Having that feeling for over a minute jumping from a plane, I wouldn't do that by choice and would probably throw up.

Last edited:
I’m 44 and have always wanted to learn drums but life and family got in the way! Now my kids are a bit older and have more time to myself, my thoughts have turned to the drum kit again. But I’m really nervous about taking the leap, especially as it involves a bit of investment, and my main worry is coordinating all four limbs! I know it will be more challenging than learning as a kid. Any advice about taking that first step and ways to learn limb independence?

Also, any tips about finding a teacher? What should I be asking/looking for?

Thanks!
No, your never too old ! like those sneakers say just do it !!! throw your heart over the bar and the body will follow ! good luck !!

The older you are, the more maturely you approach things like learning an instrument.
Highest priority: get a teacher.
2nd priority: read the above line.

Good luck!

I hope you keep us informed.

I am looking forward to what you create as your life experiences are pretty unique compared to the usual drummer!

After messing around a bit at school with a snare drum as part of the school orchestra I had a bit of a lie down until I was 59! Family, other hobbies & work got in the way.

Found a drum teacher round the corner, bought an ekit & 4 years later bought a proper kit.

Formed a band, disbanded that & now play in 2 bands (one started last July).

Looking forward to gigging again!

Someone once said you're not free again until the last kid moves out and the last dog dies, and I agree wholeheartedly. Once your schedule opens wide and the gremlins stop siphoning all the cash out of your wallet, the world is once again your oyster. Take no age arguments, and have all the fun you can pull off! Honestly the only difference is hair color.

Thanks guys! Basically I have visions of myself drumming along to Foo Fighters and Green Day and then realise that I can’t make my feet listen to my hands, so have a loooong journey ahead of me ? Keep telling my kids to try new things and now have to put my money where my mouth is and do the same. It’s good to hear how other people have started later on.
You'll be doing Everlong and Basket Case before you know it!
Welcome.

Back