Cymbal Recommendations?

Kenboy

Hello all. I am looking to fill in my set with an additional cymbal. My setup is the Johnston Meinl cymbal pack which consists of a 21" Ride, 18" and 20" Crashes plus 14" Hats. My Gretsch kit has a mount that sits centered over my bass drum. I am thinking 16" max for size. Anyone have any ideas as to what might compliment my setup? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
On my bass drum mount I have an 8"splash, it works well there imo. I also have a 17" crash, a 20" crash/ride, 14" hats, and a 22" ride.

Last edited:
I'd say a 16" crash and a splash. Maybe a China as well.

Courtesy of Drumming Enablers Association.

With two crashes, there aren't really any holes in your setup, unless you feel you need a smaller crash to broaden your tonal spectrum. If not, I'd keep playing the 18" and 20" and add nothing at all.

My lineup consists of 15" hats, a 21" ride, and two 19" crashes. The two 19"s are identical and cover all my crash bases. I have no intention of adding others.

I’d get a thin 14 in crash and a 10 in splash for upper end - you have the big crash voice. My suggestion offers contrast but a short note so not obtrusive voice- an accent. You’ll hear it though cause it cuts.

A thin 16" might be nice in that spot. Anything smaller than 16" is basically an effects cymbal if your kit isn't mic'd up.

You can get shorter cymbal arms than that, as you probably know. That's a lot of metal to have sticking out, especially on small stages. I use the Yamaha CH750 in that spot on my kit.

2lg_ch750.jpg

This is a huge matter that runs through my head nonstop. I also had hats, a ride, and two crashes when I really wrestled with this. I loved splashes in my younger years - and that would be the perfect item for where you want to place it on your kit - but I feel like that sound is so overused. Though I'm on the verge of getting a small, dirty sounding one (instead of the usual tone). I also thought I was "supposed" to get a china to round out the standard types of cymbals on a kit - but I really couldn't see myself using it much at all.
So I landed on making my own little stack consisting of a pstx swiss splash over a planet z splash. Man, is it sweet. It's super trashy and percussive. I use it A LOT for accents, as a version of aux hats, and also as an unexpected part of the mix where you'd typically hear a splash.
Go with a stack.

A thin 16" might be nice in that spot. Anything smaller than 16" is basically an effects cymbal if your kit isn't mic'd up.

You can get shorter cymbal arms than that, as you probably know. That's a lot of metal to have sticking out, especially on small stages. I use the Yamaha CH750 in that spot on my kit.

View attachment 101663
Yes. It is crazy long for my purpose. It probably was meant to support and position a larger ride/crash.

Yes. It is crazy long for my purpose. It probably was meant to support and position a larger ride/crash.
Boom arms like that are useful for flying off cymbal stands so hang onto it if you end up purchasing a short arm like the Yamaha.

The Yamaha will fit the Gretsch mount perfectly by the way, and it's nice and sturdy. I have a 17" crash in that spot and it's solid as a rock.

The answer might be in the music itself.If you have an album you like to practice with a China cymbal in it, you don't have one, you can buy one.

For 16" alternatives you might consider any of the following in the Istanbul Agop line: Turk China, Signature China or Xist ION China.

Thinking outside the box a bit for a special effects cymbal look at the 20" Bosphorus Turk Effects Crash with 18 holes.

Maybe think outside the box, and add something unusual?

I just added an old, really tarnished no-name (that I can find) cymbal, which I think is probably the top to a high hat set.
14", thin, bent and beat up, it makes for a dark splash effect with interesting overtones, but big attack and quick decay.
It probably should be cleaned, but I don't want to change a thing.

You may want to dig around pawn shops and thrift stores in your area, you might find something(s) you like. ;)

Back