Do You Anthropomorphize Your Drums?

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Yes, yes I do. Probably ‘cuz I move ‘em around so much. The Kick is King. Snares are like jesters or town cryers, and cymbals are women. All coexist as one crew with their own [sonic] personalities

EB508DD4-39AF-45AB-AB3E-40C1B0F453E3.jpeg

Yo.
Yo…
‘sup
How long we here for Sixteen?
Dunno.
Man, the boss was beatin’ on Twelve, wasn’t he?
A spanking go at that.
[Laughter]
So, Fourteen, whaddya think of that new snare?
Too glam for me, but he’s got some good jokes.
[Laughter]
Sixteen: Check back in ten years. See if he still has it.
[Silence]

51DD5991-EF58-4503-B1F5-E64F54AA8C49.jpeg

Interesting take. Jesters.

Other than naming only one of my kits my entire life, I guess I don't do that.

I don't humanize them. To me they're really nice fancy tools to collect and play with. In the end, it's the music made that I'm after. But I treat them like fine china, or gold watches or something.

How is Yolanda doing, anyway?

I keep catching her boinking my Eames kit...then my DW's start fights with the Eames over her...The DW's are so much better looking than the Eames. The Eames are all battle scarred and 8x older than Yolanda. She's a little tramp, sleeping around. She uses/plays one against the other, and doesn't respect either of them for putting up with her crap. It's a big fn game to her, with NO regard for anyone's pain. I saw her with the DW's too. Little harlot. The DW's do look awesome. My sparkly Sonor bop kit sometimes tries to make a play for her, and she pretty much verbally abuses him while laughing at him. He always ends up running away like a little girl. But he keeps trying. She really digs my Origin kit secretly and will be his little bitch. She'll do anything for him, because he doesn't give her the time of day. I've seen her lick the pedal filth off him. She's quite the exhibitionist.

She will get hers someday, and she's deluded if she thinks she's immune to karma.

Having a beautiful woman comes with a much more complex set of problems lol.

And she loves the others fighting over her. That really bugs me. I wouldn't want to be the source of all that bad energy. But she gets off on it. She really is cold hearted at the core. Selfish, has to be the center of the universe at ALL times, is not accountable for ANYTHING, and really doesn't do ANYTHING for me that makes me feel good. Pretty much the opposite of that. So I'm upset with her, and have been since I got her. It's frightening how big the gap is from how beautiful she is on the outside, to how absolutely gross, disgusting, vile, non human, uncompassionate, galactically short sighted, entitled, moral cesspool of a soul, if she has one, she is on the inside.

It's nothing but a big problem if you want to know the truth James

Last edited:
I keep catching her boinking my Eames kit...then my DW's start fights with the Eames over her...The DW's are so much better looking than the Eames. The Eames are all battle scarred and 8x older than Yolanda. She's a little tramp, sleeping around. She uses/plays one against the other, and doesn't respect either of them for putting up with her crap. It's a big fn game to her, with NO regard for anyone's pain. I saw her with the DW's too. Little harlot. The DW's do look awesome. My sparkly Sonor bop kit sometimes tries to make a play for her, and she pretty much verbally abuses him while laughing at him. He always ends up running away like a little girl. But he keeps trying. She really digs my Origin kit secretly and will be his little bitch. She'll do anything for him, because he doesn't give her the time of day.

She will get hers someday, and she's deluded if she thinks she's immune to karma.

And she loves the others fighting over her. That really bugs me. I wouldn't want to be the source of all that bad energy. But she gets off on it. She really is cold hearted at the core. Selfish, has to be the center of the universe at ALL times, is not accountable for ANYTHING, and really doesn't do ANYTHING for me that makes me feel good. Pretty much the opposite of that. So I'm upset with her, and have been since I got her. It's frightening how big the gap is from how beautiful she is on the outside, to an absolute gross, disgusting, vile, non human, uncompassionate, galactically short sighted, entitled, moral cesspool of a soul, if she has one, on the inside.

And tune in next week for another episode of Drums of our Lives. [cue end music]

I don’t normally, but I did recently give one of my drums a name. Mostly I think of my drums with basic descriptions like “the blue one”, “the shallow bass”, or by the brand like “the Oriollo”. But one of my favorite snares is a project piece made up of parts from several brands and eras, from the 40’s to today. It made me think of the Johnny Cash song about a car he built from parts he smuggled out of the factory over the course of years; and this drum is painted black. So it’s now named after Johnny Cash.

No.

It would take a lot. Like if it was a special gift from a wife/girlfriend end she died, I'd probably name it after her.

I am however considering getting a BD reso with the picture of my late cat, though.

I would name them but then it gets to personal. I want them when I want them and knowing them makes me feel bad that I haven't said a word to ANY of them for weeks. If they are just wood and nameless I'm more free. I hate feeling trapped. No engagement of any kind.

Drums are there to use. Not feel bad about. They don't feel bad about us, and will overuse and abuse us if we allow it. I treated drums like a princess my whole life and where did it get me? It worked against me the whole entire time. No respect there. EVERYTHING I thought I knew about drums...is so opposite of what it really is. Now that I call her out on every little thing, and as much as she acts like she's all upsert and butthurt, she deep down loves it.

Drives me insane, because now I have to be the heavy. She can't even be honest about it to me or herself and makes me sit there and mindread her. No help at all. I really resent that. She likes to see me all whipped up to a froth, and I can't stand being frothy. So I'm in for ME from now on. The more selfish I am, the better she likes it. So Ok I can do that.

:)

Last edited:
No. I imagine if I did, they would all be tough guy jerks.

"Hey Ten, how abouts you come down here on the floor you pansy. What's that wuss? I can't hear you hiding up there!"

"Yeah ? you Sixteen, and your punk ass boy Thirteen too. Why dont you go bang each other!"

My lawnmower is totally anthropomorphized however. It gets mad and talks ? to all the deep grass and weeds. It really is quite the angry machine.

I guess I kinda do, in that I sometimes lovingly say "hey, baby" or "hey, beautiful" to them as I walk by. But given that at other times I hit them, I'm not sure I feel comfortable saying I really anthropomorphize them.

I keep catching her boinking my Eames kit...then my DW's start fights with the Eames over her...The DW's are so much better looking than the Eames. The Eames are all battle scarred and 8x older than Yolanda. She's a little tramp, sleeping around. She uses/plays one against the other, and doesn't respect either of them for putting up with her crap. It's a big fn game to her, with NO regard for anyone's pain. I saw her with the DW's too. Little harlot. The DW's do look awesome. My sparkly Sonor bop kit sometimes tries to make a play for her, and she pretty much verbally abuses him while laughing at him. He always ends up running away like a little girl. But he keeps trying. She really digs my Origin kit secretly and will be his little bitch. She'll do anything for him, because he doesn't give her the time of day. I've seen her lick the pedal filth off him. She's quite the exhibitionist.

And she loves the others fighting over her. That really bugs me. I wouldn't want to be the source of all that bad energy. But she gets off on it. She really is cold hearted at the core. Selfish, has to be the center of the universe at ALL times, is not accountable for ANYTHING, and really doesn't do ANYTHING for me that makes me feel good. Pretty much the opposite of that. So I'm upset with her, and have been since I got her. It's frightening how big the gap is from how beautiful she is on the outside, to how absolutely gross, disgusting, vile, non human, uncompassionate, galactically short sighted, entitled, moral cesspool of a soul, if she has one, than she is on the inside.

LMAO. You must have taken anthropomorphizing to whole new levels with this one.

BTW, "gross, disgusting, vile, non human, uncompassionate, galactically short sighted, entitled, moral cesspool of a soul" is my new favorite string of descriptions.

I don't name mine. The closest I get to that is calling them, collectively, my babies.

i think it’s strange so i don’t do it. never caught on with the “give all your personal belongings a girl’s name” type of stuff, my stuff is my stuff and will not talk to me. or maybe they don’t talk because i’m an ass to them?

i think i need a psychiatrist

Take all your drums and cymbals to group therapy, have them sit in a circle with a ball that you pass to the item that is allowed to speak and all that. Tell us how it goes and what you agree on please (like "on Mondays the drums get to hit the drummer").
the floor tom says it feels violated after every session, the snare accuses me of domestic violence, kick drum also, the 18” A medium thin is now suing for me for defamation because i once said it sounds like crap...

i don’t think this was a good idea lads, i think i need a new kit that doesn’t complain

No. I can't even stand when people anthropomorphize cats and dogs. I talked to my cat and dog about it and they agree with me some people are crazy. I use to talk to my first junker car trying to cajole it to start or not die on me.

Back