The Orlando Drummer: Why I Hate 12 Inch Rack Toms

Agree with the tuning part, I only found 1 tuning that really works for me. But kinda disagree with him on the height problem since I am not the tallest guy and have no problems with a 22 kick and a 12x8. I would be plenty comfortable with a 12x9 also.. And I think this dude is judging a 12x9 or 12x10 by its looks and not by its sound which I don't really get. My ideal setup is a 20,12,14.

Agree with the tuning part, I only found 1 tuning that really works for me. But kinda disagree with him on the height problem since I am not the tallest guy and have no problems with a 22 kick and a 12x8. I would be plenty comfortable with a 12x9 also.. And I think this dude is judging a 12x9 or 12x10 by its looks and not by its sound which I don't really get. My ideal setup is a 20,12,14.
I don’t think he’s been around enough.

Different strokes for different folks. His setup is a 10" rack tom, 14" and 16" floor toms, and a 20" kick drum...and he's complaining about 12" toms! Well, specifically, 12x9s sound "boxy," but something smaller like a 12x7 or 12x8 would be fine. But, mostly, he doesn't like them because they are "hard to tune." Geez, this guy...

Different strokes for different folks. His setup is a 10" rack tom, 14" and 16" floor toms, and a 20" kick drum...and he's complaining about 12" toms! Well, specifically, 12x9s sound "boxy," but something smaller like a 12x7 or 12x8 would be fine. But, mostly, he doesn't like them because they are "hard to tune." Geez, this guy...
he's not pointing out the boxiness of the sound of a 12x9, he's talking about the look. Kinda strange to me.

I love 12" toms. That's the only "up" size I play, always in a snare stand. The tonal distance between a 12" and a 16" is quite becoming to me. Those two diameters meet all demands, but I don't hate other dimensions. I just don't need them.

Last edited:
I wonder if he's just making it up to have something to talk about on the pod cast. Well nope he doesn't have a big 12 in but what is that a 12 in or 10 in snare? But I have to call bull crap if room is an argument-he's got plenty for a 12 in. I like a 10 in tom too. So looks he prefers the 20/10/14/16 which is a nice set up. Plays the spaces for metal-no blasting or blazing double pedal. Sounds nice and clean.

I play, on the home set, 10,12,13,14,15" toms and a 16 and 18" floor toms.
I use clear Remo Ambassadors, top and bottom. Both heads are tuned medium low, both heads same pitch.
I've never had a problem with any size.

I feel this. I always have trouble with 12” toms and not really with other sizes.

My current kit is 8,12, 16,18, 22 but when my 10” Tom arrives from Sonor in June, I’m moving to 8,10,16,18

Though I will admit my last two kits (Ludwig Classic Oak and Sonor SQ1) the 12” toms have sounded pretty damn good. But in general I think I like the 10 better

I think there was a little levity going on in that podcast, so no big deal IMO. Right now he's a one up, two down guy and really likes his 10. Fine with me. Some of us try more toms, some less. Somewhere in there we find "our sound."
Right now I'm toying with the idea of a 16 inch FT. Never had one. Maybe now is the time to start!

12" tom certainly worked very well for Andy Newmark's decades of successful recording and touring with world class pros.

He sounds pretty good here .....
He sure does. He's also sounded good in every other clip I've ever heard. He's been a full-time professional drummer for 15 years, has been teaching for years--I guess I'm not sure what does or does not make one an "expert" but he'd certainly seem more qualified than the overwhelming majority of drummers.

As someone mentioned, this one was one small section of a regular Q&A feature on his podcast and I don't think he really expected it to be taken as holy writ. I'm kind of amused that it seems to have ruffled feathers on here, given how often others have expressed strong opinions about, well, pretty much everything drum-related.

I too have many qualms about social media. And I come here to read other's opinions about social media here on this...social media site. With my fellow social media and drumming experts. :)

I have a 12" tom that sucks to tune. It's the particular drum in this case. It's an off brand, threads are gross, so the thing just fights it the whole way.

I used to have a 13" tom that didnt like tuning. I would always tune it first so it would be easier to make fit with the other 4 toms. The 12" in that kit tuned up just fine.

I think some drums are just more finicky than others for whatever reason.

Back