BAD left-hand habit

Yamaha Rider

Platinum Member
Ooh, this is an embarrassing one ...
Having spent years learning (and having lessons) on e-kits - and recently getting my first real, acoustic kit - which I've only been able to play very rarely (thanks to lockdown and no space of my own) and with brushes only - I've suddenly been mortified to find I have a serious, ingrained left-hand problem.
I can't hit the damn drum with a stick.
The bounce from the real heads makes my all my left-hand strokes 'buzz' a double stroke!
This problem was clearly concealed by the lack of bounce on my e-drum pads...
How can I get out of this hole I've dug? ?

Letting the stick rebound naturally should cure your left-hand ills. Don't fight the stick's inherent response, and don't drive it into the head. If you permit the stick to perform most of the work for you, you'll be guiding rather than forcing it. That's the key to proper control.

Most important, maintain a VERY loose grip throughout your motion. Bearing down on the stick is a restrictive practice. It's also bad for your hand.

Letting the stick rebound naturally should cure your left-hand ills. Don't fight the stick's inherent response, and don't drive it into the head. If you permit the stick to perform most of the work for you, you'll be guiding rather than forcing it. That's the key to proper control.

Most important, maintain a VERY loose grip throughout your motion. Bearing down on the stick is a restrictive practice. It's also bad for your hand.
THANKYOU!
I'll begin working on that immediately.
Would a practice pad have shown this problem up? (I know you're a prominent advocate.) Or do they also lack the bounce of a snare drum?

THANKYOU!
I'll begin working on that immediately.
Would a practice pad have shown this problem up? (I know you're a prominent advocate.) Or do they also lack the bounce of a snare drum?

A pad would be enormously helpful. One advantage is that you can isolate your hands without getting distracted by the various elements of a drum kit. Another is that a pad's muted sound allows you to zero in on feel, the nucleus of stick control. Mastering rebound is the solution to making drumsticks an extension of your body. A pad is the best place to start.

Last edited:
A pad would be enormously helpful. One advantage is that you can isolate your hands without getting distracted by the various elements of a drum kit. Another is that a pad's muted sound allows you to zero in on feel, the nucleus of stick control. Mastering rebound is the key to making drumsticks an extension of your body. A pad is the best place to start.
Much appreciated, sir! ??

I realize that e-kits are better than nothing but I've always felt that they stunt one's development in a number of ways - one of which you have found out for yourself. They hamper one's sense of feel and dynamics, and more than just a little.

It might help to hold the stick a little closer to the tip than you're used to, at least in the beginning. You'll quickly regain control to the point where you can grip the stick naturally again.

I realize that e-kits are better than nothing but I've always felt that they stunt one's development in a number of ways - one of which you have found out for yourself. They hamper one's sense of feel and dynamics, and more than just a little.

It might help to hold the stick a little closer to the tip than you're used to, at least in the beginning. You'll quickly regain control to the point where you can grip the stick naturally again.
Just found that that does help the stick rebound cleanly, thankyou!

A ReelFeel pad would be great for learning how to control rebound also. The grey side is super bouncy. It's a bit more than a snare, but with that exaggerated bounce comes fantastic rebound control.

@Yamaha Rider the beauty of a pad (besides it making you more proficient) is you can use it anywhere. You can literally sit on the couch and watch tv while using one. You can easily take it with you to wherever you are going also.

I’d play the offending snare. Nothing emulates a drum like a drum. Go ahead and tackle it. You got to retrain your brain. Put a sheet or towel on it and play rudiments making note of offending hand and stroke. Then take off towel and see what happens when you strike it. Become aware of differences- and get the feel. You got to be conscious of it- you’re still in autopilot of ekit. You hear the difference but your brain hasn’t figured out why - because it always worked before.

I took my Remo pad & cut some old t-shirt cloth inside under the head between the sponge. It is a more dead rebound for working on rudiments. Like GetAgrippa said, the sheet makes your hands do the work. My brother used to do that. He'd cover his drums with sheets and play. Then after practicing for awhile, take em off & fly all over the kit. Buddy Rich said he practiced on a pillow. Same thing. Good luck to you.

My brother used to do that. He'd cover his drums with sheets and play. Then after practicing for awhile, take em off & fly all over the kit.
This was my method until I found a cheap set of mutes. The mutes do the same thing as cotton sheets- make you work harder for the same results... and when you remove the mutes/sheets everything is so much ‘easier’.

This was my method until I found a cheap set of mutes. The mutes do the same thing as cotton sheets- make you work harder for the same results... and when you remove the mutes/sheets everything is so much ‘easier’.
Ah, but I'm used to working drums with no bounce (my e-kit) - it's controlling the bounce of a real drum that my left hand is struggling with.

George Stone Stick Control playthrough video -
Do this once per practice for, well, until you decide not to.

Back