Udrilled,virgin base drum pros&cons

If 4 rods fell out, doesn't that noticably change the sound of the drum over time as they are working themselves loose?
“Adaptive hearing” is my problem. Over a period of time you get used to the slight sound shifts, especially when playing hard and fast. You take a break and....what ? Tension rods on the floor...

Base......virgin....drilled....

Where is this going?

Can I ask those who use a snare stand for their mount do you ever hit it on the way to a fill nearly knocking it over?. Ive done that a couple times saying...FORGET that stand.

Checkout these early N&C efforts to keep a bass drum virgin. I call it the ultimate chastity belt:

Checkout these early N&C efforts to keep a bass drum virgin. I call it the ultimate chastity belt:

But they sure are RIMming the s#*t out of that virgin, aren't they? :devilish: .........with Ludwig Modular hardware too! (y);)

Other than the PHX, does Yamaha make any standard set without the tom mount?
I'm wondering because they purposely add weight to the bass drum lugs to get a less resonant sound.

I
The sound/feel difference is debatable. Some claim a drilled bass loses tonal purity. Maybe, maybe not. My official position: Who cares?

I love virgin basses for aesthetic reasons. I dislike tom mounts and racks and play my only "up tom" in a snare stand, so a virgin bass is ideal for me. I haven't owned a non-virgin bass in a very long time. I know, I know; all drums are drilled for tension rods and so on, but when I say "virgin bass," I mean no aperture for a tom mount. A virgin is the only type of bass I'll purchase at this point.
it’s funny. I come down on the opposite side of this for the same reason. I like a drilled bass drum because I like the visual of mounted rack toms, but then I also play 2-up one down.

I

it’s funny. I come down on the opposite side of this for the same reason. I like a drilled bass drum because I like the visual of mounted rack toms, but then I also play 2-up one down.

Yeah, going two-up changes the dynamic entirely. I understand fully why you'd favor a drilled bass in that case. I play a one-up configuration exclusively, so a virgin bass is the only way I roll.

Good to hear from you, man. It's been a while.

My kicks will forever stay celibate. They won’t be fooling around town with every Tom, dick & Harry. My kick drums think Virginity rocks.

Ok dumb joke aside.

For me, I’ll never mount a tom to my kick nor will I buy a kick that isn’t virgin. It doesnt really have anything to do with sound, it’s more so aesthetics and that I like a 2 up setup but like the snare to be in the middle of the 2 Tom’s so mounting from the kick is not really needed.

It’s also not true, however in my head, when I see Tom’s mounted on the kick it just automatically reminds me of lower end kits even though that’s not case.

It’s also not true, however in my head, when I see Tom’s mounted on the kick it just automatically reminds me of lower end kits even though that’s not case.

Was it DW who popularised the undrilled=expensive aesthetic? Totally get this line of thinking though, especially because there are some bad looking mounts out there (looking at you Pearl, sorry @C.M. Jones )

Was it DW who popularised the undrilled=expensive aesthetic? Totally get this line of thinking though, especially because there are some bad looking mounts out there (looking at you Pearl, sorry @C.M. Jones )

Ha the Pearl mounts on my old export kit are one of the main reasons I tend to think low end when I see drums mounted on the kick. I just hated those double poles sticking out of the kit:

But yea as a kid I gushed over DW kits. They were so great at marketing and they had that DW kit designer on their website. I was in high school just designing and laying out drum kits all day.

But yes, DW made beautiful virgin kits. Now as I’ve gotten older, I wouldn’t buy a DW kit unless it was damn near free, the glitter rubbed off for me

No offense on my end. I haven't used a tom mount in over twenty years. I don't look down on kits that have them though. I just have no desire to depart from an undrilled bass at this point.

Back