Need help to ID old Premier Drum set

I’m sure there’s a thread on here about Yamaha players having to contend with having smaller nuts? :unsure: ?

There are some interesting Yamaha bits on Premier kits of the era. The 3000/4000 cymbal stands are a good example of this. They're Yamaha cymbal stands but with Premier specific legs. The bottom assembly of APK/XPK/Projector etc of that period bass drum spur is also shared with the Yamaha 8000 kit, with the reversible spike.

Never knew Yamaha owned Premier :unsure: But if that happened in the 80s or 90s I was out of drumming at that time.

Hmmm, would Yamaha hardware parts fit this kit if I ever needed them?

Only a couple of bits, the main hardware differs, it's just some random bits. Worth noting as well that the original Yamaha Power V kit with the rubber bits on the tom mount and BD spurs is actually an APK in a slightly different frock and one inch shallower toms.

I have a Power V Special, the one above the Power V, and it's definitely got some Premier DNA all over it. :D No rubber bits, though.

Only a couple of bits, the main hardware differs, it's just some random bits. Worth noting as well that the original Yamaha Power V kit with the rubber bits on the tom mount and BD spurs is actually an APK in a slightly different frock and one inch shallower toms.

There are some interesting Yamaha bits on Premier kits of the era. The 3000/4000 cymbal stands are a good example of this. They're Yamaha cymbal stands but with Premier specific legs. The bottom assembly of APK/XPK/Projector etc of that period bass drum spur is also shared with the Yamaha 8000 kit, with the reversible spike.
That must be why Old Dog New Cans post (#19 on this thread) had a Yamaha tom mount on the bass drum.

No, Old dog's kit pre-dates the Yamaha years.
Someone's replaced the original tom mount with a Yamaha mount on that kit.

I was in a store I shall not name the other day, where the drum floor was a really shabby scene. By far, the best sounding drums in the store were the deep rack toms on a set of old, off-white Premier APKs. One head had a clear Remo PS4, and the other one had a coated PS4. They were truly inspiring toms, and as good as anything you could hope for. If the hardware weren't all rusted out, I may have purchased them for myself.

Back